• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Magic Kingdom Expansion

From Screamscape today:

Late 2012 - The Little Mermaid / Fantasyland Expansion - (11/15/12) Disney is up to something…. And in a strange twist of format from their normal Disney Park Blogs, they seem to be hinting about some kind of new Dragon themed feature on the way to the parks. The blog asks you to actually depart from the Disney website (which never normally happens) and visit a Tumblr Blog as part of this attempt to build a viral storyline where you can view some very… VERY vague footage that could show some kind of flying dragon.
This actually could be the awaited reveal of that top secret flying dragon themed craft Disney testing out over this past summer. While the prototype was themed as a flying dragon, the early speculation at the time was that perhaps would be transformed into one of the flying beasts from Avatar when the time came. But with New Fantasyland set to officially open next month (now soft open) it does make some readers wonder if the flying dragon craft may make an appearance over New Fantasyland in the near future.

db_2012_0625_WDIDragonTestFlight1.jpg

A real dragon! :p

The bit from Disney Park Blogs:

If you’ve read the Disney Parks Blog in the past, you might have run across some of my posts, photos and videos that show some of my interests. I love Disney Parks (of course); I’m curious and enjoy new experiences. But here’s something you probably didn’t know: I love dragons. Always have. When other kids on my block liked dinosaurs, I liked dragons. And what’s not to like? Some can fly, some breathe fire, some protect castles and some attack them. Some are good, some are evil. But they are all magical. For me, Disney and dragons share that quality — they’re both chock-full of magic.
In this video, I take you into my home for a look at a discovery I recently made online. I found something that could be the greatest dragon I have ever seen. But I’m not sure. Maybe it’s an internet hoax, maybe it’s an albatross or condor. But maybe, just maybe, it’s a dragon.

*See video below*

I want to believe it’s a dragon. I will find out more, so stay tuned for updates.
And if you want to see exactly how much I love dragons, take a look at my dragon-centric Tumblr blog: disneydragons.tumblr.com. If you have your own dragon stories (or possible sightings!) to share on Twitter, use the hashtag #BelieveInFantasy. Because isn’t that what “magic” is all about — believing?
Source.

Video from that article:
What Exactly Is This? Gary Discovers A Dragon...He Thinks

:)

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is getting a minor retheme, or to be more accurate, a theming upgrade. :)

Disney Parks Blog said:
Walt Disney Imagineers Unveil the Backstory of Barnabas T. Bullion, Founder and President of Big Thunder Mining Company

Last week, we shared an image of a portrait that’s a part of a new project our Walt Disney Imagineers are currently working on – and today we’re happy to reveal the identity of that man and share details on the role he’ll play in the enhanced storyline of a certain Magic Kingdom Park attraction, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

por111512SMALL.jpg

The fellow’s name is Barnabas T. Bullion, and he’s the gold magnate who rules the Big Thunder Mining Company with a golden fist. Imagineers have already begun working overnight in the park on the attraction’s new interactive queue, where you’ll be able to see this portrait, as well as an additional landscape portrait of the mountain itself.

btm873463.jpg

According to the enhanced backstory: “Barnabas T. Bullion is the founder and president of the Big Thunder Mining Company. The longtime mining magnate comes from a powerful East Coast family and considers gold to be his very birthright by virtue of his oddly appropriate name; in fact, he considers the ultimate gold strike to be his destiny. And that is why he is having so much trouble with Big Thunder Mountain. According to superstitious locals, Big Thunder Mountain is very protective of the gold it holds within, and the unfortunate soul who attempts to mine its riches is destined to fail. And so far that prophecy is coming to pass. The mine has been plagued by mysterious forces and natural disasters ever since. And yet the Big Thunder Mining Co. is still in operation. In fact, Bullion is discovering new veins of gold and digging new shafts every day, offering a closer look at the Big Thunder mining operation than ever before. But a word to the wise for anyone attempting to visit the mountain: watch out for runaway trains.”

Look for these new additions and a number of additional interactive elements in the coming months at Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, the wildest ride in the wilderness!

Barnabas Bullion ftw! :D

That queue did need something, it was very bland and completely lacked the little detailing that the Paris version has.

Paris does have that superb claustrophobic thing going on, though.

I was so hot in there once, I almost passed out!

:eek:

I'm still quite excited for the continuation of the New Fantasyland (because dark ride) but I hope the Mine Train is much more exciting than what's been shown here, considering it's just a snippet of the coaster.

Not really sure where to put this but... good news! :D

Orlando Sentinal said:
Disney World to get new president amid theme-park-management shakeup

The Walt Disney Co. shook up its senior theme-park management ranks Wednesday, reassigning more than a half-dozen top executives — including a new president for Walt Disney World.

Disney said George A. Kalogridis, now president of Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, Calif., will move East to take over as president of Disney World, the company's biggest and most-profitable resort.

He will succeed Meg Crofton, who will focus exclusively on her duties as president of all operations for Disney theme parks in the United States and Europe — a new position created a year and a half ago amid another management restructuring.

The move instantly elevates the 59-year-old Kalogridis — a University of Central Florida alum who began with Disney as a hotel busboy in Orlando — to a position as one of the most influential corporate executives in Florida, atop a sprawling resort with four theme parks; two dozen hotels and time shares; and more than 66,000 employees.

Crofton, 59, will move to Disney's corporate headquarters in Burbank, Calif. She has been the face of the company in Central Florida in recent years, serving on the governing boards of entities ranging from the University of Central Florida to the Metro Orlando Economic Development Commission.

The changes were ordered by Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Tom Staggs and are designed, the company said, to give upper managers "the opportunity to broaden their knowledge" of Disney's global vacation empire.

The logic evoked a higher-management shakeup orchestrated three years ago by Disney Co. President and Chief Executive Officer Bob Iger, who had Staggs, then the Disney Co. chief financial officer, trade jobs with Jay Rasulo, then-chairman of parks and resorts.

"With all that we currently have in flight across our resort destinations in the U.S. and France, the time is right to move forward with this leadership transition," Staggs said in a prepared statement.

"This group of Disney veterans has the knowledge and expertise needed to continue delivering on our legacy of creating unforgettable experiences that our guests have come to know and expect."

Disney would not make Staggs or Kalogridis available for interviews.

The company said no one would leave Disney as part of the changes. All appointments are effective Feb. 1.

The movement extended far beyond Disney World. To replace Kalogridis atop Disneyland, which has experienced enormous growth this summer following the opening of a "Cars"-themed land, the company tapped Michael Colglazier, vice president in charge of Disney's Animal Kingdom theme park in Central Florida.

Kalogridis and Colglazier will both report to Crofton.

Replacing Colglazier at Animal Kingdom: Josh D'Amaro, who currently runs the company's Adventures by Disney packaged-tour business.

Disney also appointed a new head of Disney Vacation Club, its Celebration-based time-share arm. It promoted Ken Potrock, a highly regarded Central Florida executive currently in charge of the company's sports-tourism businesses and the Downtown Disney retail complex, to the position of senior vice president and general manager of DVC and Adventures by Disney.

Potrock will replace Claire Bilby, who had run Disney's time-share business since August 2011, after former unit President Jim Lewis was ousted. Bilby will move to Paris to become senior vice president of sales and marketing for Disneyland Paris and Europe.

Tom Wolber, No. 2 executive at Disney Cruise Line, will succeed Potrock as head of Disney Sports Enterprises, which includes Disney World's ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex and the company's rapidly growing runDisney marathon program, as well as Downtown Disney.

For Kalogridis, the appointment as president of Disney World is a homecoming. The 41-year company veteran began his career as a busboy in Disney's Contemporary Resort in 1971, the year Disney World opened.

He has held an assortment of positions for the company, ranging from vice president in charge of Epcot to chief operating officer for Disneyland Paris. He has been president of Disneyland, which has two theme parks, three hotels and about 25,000 employees, since 2009.

He most recently steered Disney's original theme-park resort through a period of dizzying growth after a $1.2 billion makeover of Disneyland's second gate, Disney California Adventure, which culminated this summer with the opening of the 12-acre "Cars Land." He has also become a favorite of Disney's passionate, and sometimes critical, fan blogosphere.

"I am excited to return to my roots and have the opportunity to lead our talented Walt Disney World Resort cast," Kalogridis said in a prepared statement distributed by Disney. "I look forward to again working with my Florida-based colleagues and reconnecting with Central Florida's community and business leaders."

Thank god Crofton's been moved on, and they can get some managers from the Much Better Park™ to try and turn around WDW. It seems to have been declining, with poor maintenance and lazy uninspiring additions (Seven Dwarves coaster, Avatar-land). While Disneyland, and California Adventure especially, remains exemplary.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-daily-disney/os-new-disney-world-president-20130109,0,1494751.story

Track for the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is now complete:

Walt Disney Imagineering just marked a milestone on one of the remaining attractions under construction in New Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom Park. Check out the photo our Imagineering friends just shared with us to see one of the last pieces of track laid in place at the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.

min100699SMALL.jpg

The Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, which will debut in 2014, is a family coaster that will take New Fantasyland guests on a journey through the mine where the Seven Dwarfs spend their days digging for gems. The attraction will feature music and characters from the classic Disney film “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.”

sid200394new.jpg
sid195049SMALL.jpg

DaMouse has some pictures of the progress being made on the Seven Dwarves Mine Train. Here are just a few of the pictures:

DSC08834.jpg

DSC08876.jpg

DSC08904.jpg

I really can't wait to see how this ride turns out! I'd love to see a swinging mine train built somewhere in the UK!

Plastic Person said:
Why in God's name has this taken three years?

Probably because Disney don't like rushing projects. They take their time, get it just how they want it then open a complete attraction rather than a poorly planned botched job that will struggle to ever meet its full potential.