• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Magic Kingdom Expansion

TheMan said:
Can't get my head around some of the figures being mentioned here!

I do have to wonder though, as Sam said - as, well, frankly mesmerising as this park appears - for all that money, you would think they'd add a world class coaster to the mix.

You only have to look around our own parks, to realise there are a lot of brave thrill seeking kiddies!!

A real unique high quality family thrill ride would have been first on the planning boards I'd have thought?

Makes me wonder though, if someone over here built a world class park, be it thrill based, mixed, or family - would we attract the visitors from worldwide like those Disney Parks do?

EDIT: Forget that last question, I've realised how utterly ridiculous it is ;D

To be fair they do have Space Mountain which fills the "thrill" coaster niche at the park. I would imagine they don't want to build another one there because there are already thrilling coasters in Expedition Everest and the Rock 'n Rollercoaster in their adjacent parks. MK is aimed more at smaller children - a second thrill coaster probably wouldn't fit in quite as well as they do at other parks.

The Psychoaster said:
To be fair they do have Space Mountain which fills the "thrill" coaster niche at the park. I would imagine they don't want to build another one there because there are already thrilling coasters in Expedition Everest and the Rock 'n Rollercoaster in their adjacent parks. MK is aimed more at smaller children - a second thrill coaster probably wouldn't fit in quite as well as they do at other parks.

Ahh, makes sense in a way :) - Still, they are building something there, may as well if you are going to that much effort in, go that extra step and make it fantastic as others have mentioned. With budgets like that!

That's such a limited way of thinking. What they are doing is creating rides for everyone, not just people brave enough to go on the scarier rides. Space Mountain and Thunder Mountain fit the rollercoaster brackets perfectly and if thrillseeker families want something a bit edgier, Rock N Rollercoaster and Expedition Everest are just a park hopper away.

The seven dawafs coaster is a large scale family coaster though that sits perfectly with the target market they aiming for which was an attraction aimed at young boys in a very girl centric expansion. When the new area was orginally announced it didn't feature this coaster and was all based on the princess's and fairies. They realised it was to focused on girls so changed things adding the coaster and expanded the planned circus area (which also looks fantastic.

The ride is meant to be a step up from the barnstormer and similar thrill level to big thunder mountain. The park didn't want a thrill or massive family-thrill coaster for this project. Plus it will be highly themed more than most other Disney coasters aimed at this group of guests (barnstormer etc)

Those wanting bigger thrilling rides those will be coming- expect to see the family inverted monsters inc coaster and cars land featuring radiator spring racers at the studios in the next 4 to 5 years) then regardless of what you think of avatar their is the $500m expansion of animal kingdom in the next few years rumoured to feature an indoor highly themed thrill launched coaster and a next gen sorin' style attraction. Plus Epcot should also get something new soon as well.

There's a great update here on the current progress of the expansion.

A video of the Be Our Guest restaurant to wet your taste buds:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noAge3e0hAYY[/youtube]

Disney's attempt at butterbeer:

iX21y32VJgeYr.png

A night time walk through:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgDSbB4VfEM[/youtube]

Those drinks are a great way to make alot of money- it's $9.95 ish for a drink in the themed cup or $4.95 for just the drink, most people yesterday seems to go for the themed cup as they do at Harry potter at universal.

Not had any butter beer this time as tried it before and didn't like it. However this drink is much nicer and is like frozen apple juice with hint of marshmallow flavour with a passion fruit and mango foam. But at the price it is people seem happy to pay so can see why Disney have copied universal- a family of four all having the themed cup version costs $40 which is £26! For 4 dribks! Crazy. Saying that people spend a furtune at the parks anyway with the amount of merchandise etc that's purchased.

This is why other parks are jumping onto IP themed areas as increase revenue massively not only from increased guest numbers but also also merchandise sales. I fully expect 2014/15 projects at Alton to be major IP themed area/s and wouldn't be surprised if its dreamworks animation.

Surely the bit after the first lift will be more dark ride rather than coaster?

Besides, as it's Disney, the attraction is more than the ride alone...

Just an update on the Pirates of the Caribbean addition: It is Mermaids.

I've found a video but as it's a Dark Ride it's not very easy to see:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbfVeHrsN0Q&feature=g-all-u[/youtube]

In case you missed them:
Two Mermaids swim passed the boat (one on either side) and a mermaid skeleton has joined those on the beach. Plus they've used some of the music from the films.

Classic Disney, beautiful lighting, beautifully designed sets - they will never be surpassed in terms of theming by anyone.

Just found something so immensely cool it is unbearable. This looks amaaaazing!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osDyawla60I[/youtube]

To be fair, there is the original Little Mermaid dark ride at California which is almost exactly the same bar a few effects. It is a brilliant idea come true but it's a shame that Paris still hasn't gained one, especially after the brief advertising it got after the grand opening show in 1992.

Awwww, this is lovely. Disney are really good at paying respect to their defunct rides, I love stuff like this.

Screamscape said:
Late 2012 - The Little Mermaid / Fantasyland Expansion - (10/26/12) In an interesting event, it seems Disney Imagineers saved several containers full of water from the old 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea lagoon, which was closed 18 years ago. In a video showing off a small ceremony (which looks to have been an exclusive event for the Disney/Mom Blogger types), the water was poured into glasses for each member attending, who then poured it into the new Ariel’s Grotto waterway. Consider this a “Passing of the Torch” moment as a lost piece of old Fantasyland has been poured into New Fantasyland.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbuNt4xg9Ws&hd=1[/youtube]

News from Screamscape:

Park News - (11/12/12) Disney has confirmed that the first of the previously announced Starbucks location coming to the Walt Disney World parks will open in early 2013. In the Magic Kingdom the Main Street Bakery will close in January 2013 and reopen as WDW’s first Starbucks location at the start of the Summer. In Epcot the Fountain View café will close in March 2013 and reopen as a Starbucks location in Mid-Summer 2013.
Both locations will offer the full range of signature Starbucks beverage items, breakfast sandwiches and a selection of baked goods. The locations on the way to Disney’s Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom will likely be announced once these first two locations open.
Also, for those worried about losing the Main Street Bakery or Fountain View bakery locations, Disney has confirmed that a selection of each location’s favorite baked goods will still be made available to guests when they reopen as Starbucks. The final menus have yet to be chosen however, so if you have a favorite item you think should stay, it may be worth voicing your opinion to Disney.
In other news MouseSteps has a report this week showing off pictures of Cinderella’s Holiday Wish, a nightly lighting of Cinderella Castle.

Starbucks in a Disney? ???

I guess as long as it blends in with the rest of Main Street, I'll be happy with it. It'll be a shame that it's replacing the bakery though. I love the smells from in there!