• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Magic Kingdom Expansion

Disney seem to spend way more than necessary.

The Fantasy Land projects costing the same/more as both WWOHP areas combined!?

Theme Park Review posted this photo Seven Dwarfs Mine Train on their Facebook page last night:

61339_10152238776103566_306541034_n.jpg

The theming looks amazing. It just all seems so real and as if it has been there all along.

:)

Oh wow that does look pretty fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

I really like the moss on the waterfall. For some reason lots of places leave that and it kinda breaks the illusion that it's been there a long time!

Screamscape said:
Park News - (2/12/14) For those who have heard some of the rumors, I’ll cover this briefly. PUSH, the talking trash can that has graced the Tomorrowland pathways and entertained guests since the mid 1990’s has been retired from service this week when the contract between Disney and his creator came to an end and was not renewed. PUSH was a great and unique character, so it is sad to see him go… but like all things within the Disney park realm, nothing stays the same forever.

A real pity... PUSH was a great little novelty. :(

Well that's a real shame! Push seemed to be very popular when I last visited, surrounded by plenty of guests interacting with him.

In other news, Voyage of the Little Mermaid has caught fire reportedly due to a stray firework from Wishes. The available images and footage of it so far aren't of the best quality, but it gives a basic insight into what has occurred:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhTmBpZtExk#ws

BgZir7QIMAAX9i8.jpg:large

Guest aren't/weren't being allowed into New Fantasyland.

Little Mermaid has reopened as it was a small fire on the rocks/roof which was put out by the Reedy Creek fire crew with a fire extinguisher as it was so small and didn't get into the ride at all.

A new surprise change to the Magic Kingdom has been announced! It's very rare to see Disney messing with the essential fabric of their 'classic' parks like this, so they must be pretty sure that it's needed!

Screamscape said:
Now Through 2015 - Central Plaza Hub Expansion - Under Construction - (2/28/14) The Magic Kingdom has announced a new enhancement plan for the park’s Central Plaza (hub) area between the end of Main Street and the Castle that will see new pathways added, sculpted gardens, expanded restaurant seating areas at Casey’s Corner and The Plaza and a new special viewing area for fireworks and castle performance viewing. The work has already begun, but it wont be entirely finished until 2015. Watch the Fly-Over video below to see how the area will look, but some of the changes may be subtle at first.

9mHqGlZ.jpg

gVKSJMh.jpg

The major changes to appear will be the addition of a new outer circle ring walkway around the hub, which is very needed as the outer circle around the hub can be nearly impossible to navigate when there is a major fireworks show or parade about to take place. The lower end of the hub, where it connects to Main Street will also be widened and expanded, adding new pathways back that can also serve as additional viewing areas for fireworks. Meanwhile the meandering pathway between the Hub and Tomorrowland that used to go out to the old Swan Boat dock structure appears as if it will be removed entirely, and likely the home to this new sculptured garden they mention. I’ve included a screen capture of the new version of Central Plaza for you to compare to the current Google Maps aerial view of the park.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWBktbaiFb8#ws

From the images above, the main changes I can see are the 'squiggly' paths on the right disappearing (which is a shame but maybe needed) and the moat being built over towards Main Street. I presume this is for capacity reasons, especially during Wishes - it's the busiest park in the world and will probably only get busier!

Edit: Actually, looking again, the biggest change by FAR is a massive expansion of the whole area. It's difficult to notice, but check out the two little kiosks near the castle on each image. Shows how much they're expanding the circle by!

Am I right in thinking they're using the same projection techniques used on the Cars Land and Buzz Lightyear AAs on the faces of the dwarves? Looks fab! Just hope the lighting levels cancel out the glow around the faces :p

Cakey said:
Am I right in thinking they're using the same projection techniques used on the Cars Land and Buzz Lightyear AAs on the faces of the dwarves? Looks fab! Just hope the lighting levels cancel out the glow around the faces :p

Looks like the same kind of thing yeah, and very impressive it looks too! If I'm honest, I'd kind of forgotten about the theming elements to this ride, and just imagined it being bland basic stuff, glad to be proved wrong!

There was definitely fear that the mountain would be filled with screens and projectors, it's good to see that Disney are still interested in full three dimensional set pieces!