• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Major New Accommodation in 2014 - Themed Lodges (Cancelled)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: Major New Accommodation in 2014 - Themed Lodges

A decision was meant to be made by the council last month - so not quite sure what's going on. It's still listed as a pending application. Seems rather odd it hasn't been looked at yet.

I was thinking this the other day, though I doubt they've forgotten, the planning application does appear to be taking quite some time to process.

If I remember correctly the application for The Smiler was delayed (I believe from Feb to March last year) because they didn't have enough applications that month to justify a full meeting? Seems an odd practice if this is the case but I swear I remember something like that slightly delaying the application process.

It is odd though that this has gone so long without approval/denial. I just assumed there wasn't any news as it had been approved and awaiting the better weather to begin groundwork.

Tim said:
If I remember correctly the application for The Smiler was delayed (I believe from Feb to March last year) because they didn't have enough applications that month to justify a full meeting? Seems an odd practice if this is the case but I swear I remember something like that slightly delaying the application process.

Yes I think it was something along those lines in regards to SW7. So it could be something similar for this. It is strange though that the decision is now over a month overdue without any form of announcment or review of the target determination date. Hopefully we will hear something soon.

:)

They have already had one planning meeting last month and one is planned for next week, no sign of lodges though.

Concerning! They can't have been forgotten. I hope there's not a more serious issue that we don't yet know about.

Rob said:
Concerning! They can't have been forgotten. I hope there's not a more serious issue that we don't yet know about.

Probably attempting to locate some builders that will get it finished by 2025.

There was the opposition group that were kicking up a fuss too. Though I don't think they have a leg to stand on and I doubt it will have any impact on the outcome, they can often delay things by a few months.

Is strange though, I would have expected some ground work to happen early though. Especially as you would think they wouldn't want large scale construction work going on during the open season.

rightbackgranty said:
There was the opposition group that were kicking up a fuss too. Though I don't think they have a leg to stand on and I doubt it will have any impact on the outcome, they can often delay things by a few months.

Is strange though, I would have expected some ground work to happen early though. Especially as you would think they wouldn't want large scale construction work going on during the open season.

My thoughts entirely, this is a hugh project as you have to put all the utilities in as well.

I guess with the poor weather and it generally being a quiet time of year for construction, not many applications have been put forward hence the lack of meetings.

Rest assured, it wont have been forgotten

Still no sign of anything about this yet or even any news? :(

The earliest time it's likely to be approved/rejected is the end of March now.

They aimed to have a target determination date in January, so this is a bit worrying in all honesty.

I hope it does get approved! It looked like a unique project and a major boost for the Resort side of things.

I was at alton towers for the February half term and stayed in the alton towers hotel and when I looked out the window, it appears to be either ground works or drainage works also this was on the grass land to the west.i think the overflow car it is just curious I took a picture.

That is where they have been moving some of the earth from the Smiler to I watched a few trucks dumping loads of earth down there, but it could be used to make the hobbit holes.

It's only just occurred to me that the lodges are being around the hobbit style and the new hobbit film has been on at the cinema this year, I maybe wrong but I would like to see a hobbit themed area on park with a possible new contracted for merlin.

Still no word on when the application will be looked at by the council.

Next meeting is on 25th April and Alton Towers Lodge development is not listed for this months meeting.

Rather worrying to say the least. The planned start construction date is from July so fingers crossed it will be approved by then!

Shame, no new hotels then :( With local elections taking place in May, the Councillors are not going to want to upset the general public.

Could be that they don't submit the plans until after May, or maybe that is why they are waiting?

Ian

They won't start building till six weeks before they are due to open anyway.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.