• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Major New Accommodation in 2014 - Themed Lodges (Cancelled)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: Major New Accommodation in 2014 - Themed Lodges

Excellent news for the resort!

On the Alton Village map on the attached are those blue blobs individual lakes?

Only concern is the lack of evening entertainment. And in these lodges are they all going to be self catering? What happens if you want to go out for the evening? Could this mean an entertainments complex is now also in the pipeline? Say for 2015 with SW8?

If they can add Center Parcs style entertainment to the current theme park and water park then were on to a winner. Any news as to whether this is going to be done alongside the 2 proposed 2014 rides? And any news of a waterpark upgrade?

Sorry for sounding so negative but I really think this is a great expansion but more needs to be done to support the resort outside of the themepark if they are to achieve real resort status

Wow - a much needed boost for the Resort! Judging by this news, I'd hazard a guess that the hotels are nearing full occupancy for a large majority of the season.

My only concern is that there won't be enough new dining/entertainment options introduced with the accommodation, as guests already struggle to book into one of the two existing restaurants on a Saturday evening (I've had no option but chips and a pizza in the room before!).

I hope and pray the washing facilities are slightly better than those at Tipidorf at Europa Park, in that the bathrooms are INSIDE the individual cabins!

Sazzle said:
I hope and pray the washing facilities are slightly better than those at Tipidorf at Europa Park, in that the bathrooms are INSIDE the individual cabins!

Well, hopefully Alton Towers have been to Heide-Park, where they have a "Holiday Camp", made up of cabin acccommodation.

Most have en suite, and there's a basic bar/café facility and tennis courts etc.

:)

I know its fashionable to find flaws in things but I'm pretty sure at some point in planning a proposed 150 lodge area those involved would have realised the people staying in them will need somewhere to eat/buy food.

They could:

- Add a small show venue
- Add a country style inn/pub
- Add sports facilities, such as a tennis court and more
- Have a play park, which is lacking from the resort at the moment - possibly relocate the Dung Heap stuff?

:D

AstroDan said:
- Have a play park, which is lacking from the resort at the moment - possibly relocate the Dung Heap stuff?

If the 2014 family area takes over the site of the Dung Heap as it is rumoured to, that dovetails with this news very nicely. :)

Fantastic news for Towers. Looking forward to seeing how this all develops :) Like others have said, there's finally some expansion to the resort side of Alton Towers!

Finally it seems they are getting their backsides into gear and properly investing into the resort side of Alton Towers.

Merlin have pretty much milked the existing facilities for all they are worth - and as mentioned it's a decade next year since Splash Landings and five years since the Golf was built this year.

Moley my issue was volumes. With a development as large as this, will the proposed eateries be of sufficient scale. Once upon a time, you'd be turned away from the Saloon at Tipidorf in Europa Park for lack of space! Also, Smokey Digger's Camp at Phantasialand has (or at the very least, had) absolutely no where for food, except a vending machine. It happens!

Alas, the self contained shower rooms/loos would be a massive bonus - being in Staffordshire, chances are you'd be sliding on wellington boots and donning an umbrella before heading for a shower ;).

Looking forward to seeing the plans in full :D.

Sazzle said:
Moley my issue was volumes. With a development as large as this, will the proposed eateries be of sufficient scale. Once upon a time, you'd be turned away from the Saloon at Tipidorf in Europa Park for lack of space! Also, Smokey Digger's Camp at Phantasialand has (or at the very least, had) absolutely no where for food, except a vending machine. It happens!

Alas, the self contained shower rooms/loos would be a massive bonus - being in Staffordshire, chances are you'd be sliding on wellington boots and donning an umbrella before heading for a shower ;).

Surely they would be en-suite anyway? This is Alton Towers!

Major New Accommodation in 2014 - Themed Lodges

CoasterCrazyChris said:
Sazzle said:

Surely they would be en-suite anyway? This is Alton Towers!

I would have thought the same! I can't see Alton Towers creating a lodge village, with communal shower facilities. It just doesn't seem something they would do!

I hope not, anyway!

Sent from my New iPad using Tapatalk HD

This won't be budget accommodation, Towers can't really do budget as it would create tension with the B&B operators who help maintain good will in the local area for the park. I imagine these cabins will have everything you need including bathrooms. Potentially even a small kitchenet, and living room area.

Hopefully this will include a bar and food venue, I'm sure we will find out soon when the planning application goes live.

I hope not either! I wouldn't have thought Europa would have gone down the same route during their 2009 expansion, but they did - they built large cabins and kept their seperate communal washing facilities, and even built another block! I do believe they now have a handful of cabins with their own bathrooms? Or did I dream that...?

Being as prude as the English historically are, and the fact we have Center Parcs to 'set the standard' as it were, I would imagine the cabins would have their own facilities.

these wont be cheap - as long as they are up to center parcs style they are on to a winner.

Seriously hope for entertainments complex though!

Its going to be a busy couple of years at AT construction wise

YES! YES! YES! YES Alton! YES!

Long overdue, I can't wait for this!

AstroDan said:
They could:

- Add a small show venue
- Add a country style inn/pub
- Add sports facilities, such as a tennis court and more

:D
It seems like this could be a great investment by towers

If you look at the 10 year development plan you can clearly see the lodges are going where the Additional accommodation next to AT hotel is marked.

Most things on this plan appear to be coming to life so 2014 could be huge for AT. I expect to see
the following also done:-

Entertainment Complex
New Entrance (in Forbidden Valley)
2 x Rides/Attractions on park as rumoured

I imagine they will all be ensuit, its what people expect now adays, certainly at somewhere like Alton Towers.

It all looks very exciting and I cant wait to see the plans very soon!

Like Astro said I would love some kind of old English style pub to be built there, just serving fairly cheap English pub meals, where you could also stay having a drink late at night. Im sure they must add some new places to eat, the current ones get full on a busy nights, what would they be like if you add another 150 rooms!

They better be, if not cheap, at least significantly cheaper than the hotels.

Given the hotels are really overpriced anyway, if these are a similar price, it'll feel like you're getting even less for your money.

Sam said:
They better be, if not cheap, at least significantly cheaper than the hotels.

Given the hotels are really overpriced anyway, if these are a similar price, it'll feel like you're getting even less for your money.

The hotels are priced based on occupancy so I would guess by increasing capacity prices will drop at least for a time.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.