• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Major New Accommodation in 2014 - Themed Lodges (Cancelled)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: Major New Accommodation in 2014 - Themed Lodges

Alton Towers Heritage have posted an article regarding the lodges development.

Alton Towers Heritage said:
Lodge Development planning submitted

The Alton Towers Resort has applied for planning permission to build a two-phase Lodge development at the Resort, to the north of the existing Hotels. It is planned to open the first 85 lodges in 2014.

“Further development of accommodation was highlighted in our Long Term Plan public consultation exercise in July 2009” explained Mark Kerrigan, Development Director for Alton Towers Resort. “We know from our research that approximately 30% of our visitors currently stay overnight; 26% stay with us and 50% use local bed and breakfasts or guest houses. We’ve worked incredibly hard over the past 20 years with Staffordshire County tourism to grow the appeal of Staffordshire as a holiday location and we’ve seen an increase in the overnight stay market volumes of 20% in just the last four years. We firmly believe therefore that given the overall increase in this wider short breaks market there is ample opportunity for both the Resort and the local area to benefit from our even more aggressive positioning as a 2/3 day destination. Indeed on the back of our world-first new rollercoaster set to open next year, we’re anticipating a 31% overall growth in the accommodation market, both in house and locally, so this will be huge boon to the whole area.”

“Our new Lodges will also be positioned to appeal to a different market both from our two existing hotels and the local bed and breakfast or guest house providers who each offer a unique atmosphere, experience and quality of accommodation,” continued Kerrigan. “They will be individually themed and will reflect the style that people expect from Alton Towers Resort.”

:)

I was attempting to mock up some images to show roughly where this development might be:

Full Link

Remember that long term development plan that showed up a little while ago?

ltd_map_zoom.jpg

Interestingly this little bit is on there... but its not where the planned "lodge" section was... which was in a field further north (something the Heritage website suggests now, "north of the Hotels")... but that would also plonk it RIGHT next door to the sewerage works.

We thought it was more likely to be:

logcabin_map.jpg

As this is at least a little bit further away from the sewerage, and doesn't seem to get used for much these days? :?

Thoughts?

Ah 2 phased project, makes sense as that seemed a massive amount in one go. Lovely jubbly! Never thought we'd hear any more about these.

I'm presuming this will count as one of the two proposed new investments for 2014 we heard about a while back?

Major New Accommodation in 2014 - Themed Lodges

This is fantastic news! Exactly what Alton has been crying out for and is a surprising investment from Merlin! The resort side dearly needs investment like this so I'm so glad to see this being proposed. The lodges look great, my only concern is that they don't build enough entertainment/eating facilities along side the lodges themselves though.

Also, regarding Joel's mock up of location... I would hope that they would not use up ALL of that blue space for this project as there is plenty of tool there for another hotel AND this idea in my opinion.

There are other improvements that will need to be made to make this work too - such as transport between the lodges and the monorail entrance (e.g. Via a shuttle bus)

All very exciting stuff!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

CoasterCrazyChris said:
Sazzle said:
Moley my issue was volumes. With a development as large as this, will the proposed eateries be of sufficient scale. Once upon a time, you'd be turned away from the Saloon at Tipidorf in Europa Park for lack of space! Also, Smokey Digger's Camp at Phantasialand has (or at the very least, had) absolutely no where for food, except a vending machine. It happens!

Alas, the self contained shower rooms/loos would be a massive bonus - being in Staffordshire, chances are you'd be sliding on wellington boots and donning an umbrella before heading for a shower ;).

Looking forward to seeing the plans in full :D.

Surely they would be en-suite anyway? This is Alton Towers!

Yeah, generally in the UK 'Lodges' are basically like houses. I.e open plan living area, bedrooms and a bathroom. I'm not sure the concept would work if they set-up wasn't like this considering the highend market the short breaks target at the resort.

This is great news! And it's nice to see a Towers topic with only positive comments! This is definitely needed and it will be great to have another option when staying over on Resort. It's nice to see in the concepts that they aren't just literally log cabins and have a nice theme. As other have said though, I hope this opens with a new bar/restaurant; otherwise the strain on the current facilities is going to be far too big.

As someone said a few pages ago, what are the chances of this going hand-in-hand with a second entrance at Forbidden Valley?

Or at least more developed facilities (maybe a staffed gatehouse) at the Woodland Walk...

But... I don't understand... Lodges are made out of wood aren't they? Not shipping containers?

I have to say, I would be saddened if the main entrance moved to Forbidden Valley. The current entrance is probably the best view of the Towers you can get in the park, and it sets everything up nicely as it's relatively distanced from the major crowd pullers. I realise that it could well be a secondary entrance, but the majority of people would use the nearest entrance, rather than waiting for the monorail, etc.

speaking of which I bet thorpe are really gutted now. Bless.

Also, isn't wood perceived as unsafe by the GP according to Merlin? Risky strategy, this one.

The second entrance could just be for resort guests.

Would hugely reduce the strain on the monorail at the start of the day.

Out of curiosity I though I would overlap an aerial image with the previous development plans. I actually didn't realise the potential new location for the entrance was where it was, I just always assumed it would be the service route to the left of air.

Also, it actually makes you realise the size of the potential extension for ATH - it's basically the same as adding another hotel in terms of potential number of bedrooms as it's the same size of the existing 'room sections' of the existing hotels.

It would however be great if the kept the land to the left of the existing hotel and the lodges used the site the mazes used to be on and then curved down round, that way there would still be potential for another hotel with full scale facilities. It would also allow them to be all linked.

5847f8b2663f4acead85989.png

http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/2659 ... d85989.png

It nice to see, i just hope they are price for people with limited budget.

But i have been wondering for a while now, why AT has not used some of the area for motorhome, caravan and tents. as this would not cost a lot to build a camping area with electric hookups. even priced at normal pitch price, it would give a high return on the cost of building it.

Just a thought

NastyPasty said:
Also, isn't wood perceived as unsafe by the GP according to Merlin? Risky strategy, this one.
In terms of coasters, yes. Accommodation like this? Not so much. I've stayed in a log cabin before at Trenython Manor (click on the accommodation tab and scroll down for a picture of the main living area - there should be more pictures of the cabins and the resort in the scrolling picture thingy at the top), and it was very nice. I wouldn't imagine the ones at Towers to be of the same size or standard as these - they'd probably have a smaller 'living area' plus bedrooms and bathrooms - but I'm posting that link so you can have an idea of what log cabins can look like when done up really nicely, and I'd hope that the ones at Towers would be of a good standard, too. :)

Jonathan said:
NastyPasty said:
In terms of coasters, yes. Accommodation like this? Not so much. I've stayed in a log cabin before at Trenython Manor (click on the accommodation tab and scroll down for a picture of the main living area - there should be more pictures of the cabins and the resort in the scrolling picture thingy at the top), and it was very nice. I wouldn't imagine the ones at Towers to be of the same size or standard as these - they'd probably have a smaller 'living area' plus bedrooms and bathrooms - but I'm posting that link so you can have an idea of what log cabins can look like when done up really nicely, and I'd hope that the ones at Towers would be of a good standard, too. :)

Um....sarcasm? :p

Jonathan said:
NastyPasty said:
In terms of coasters, yes. Accommodation like this? Not so much.
He was making a joke, but cool.

It is all very nice and much welcomed for the park, though it's Merlin, I'm holding my breath until this is built. Still, it does look promising...

Looks like an amazing prospect - proper themed lodges would, as someone said earlier, really bring back the magic of the resort. It'd be especially brilliant if there were some eateries within the lodge area, and perhaps a show area? Maybe I'm being too ambitious, but even so - the proposal has so much potential that I feel it could all be possible given the space.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.