• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Major New Accommodation in 2014 - Themed Lodges (Cancelled)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Major New Accommodation in 2014 - Themed Lodges

The only word to describe those concepts is 'magic'. And I also really love how there will be space left for an ATH extension/3rd hotel/entertainment centre between the lodges and the hotels. Ill try to post my more detailed thoughts when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Re: Major New Accommodation in 2014 - Themed Lodges

Very interesting plans! Surprised to see them expanding onto the grass car parks! But glad that its leaving room for possible hotel explanations. Not had a proper look through all the documents yet but so far I'm impressed!

If its done right it will look incredible! So I'm really looking forward to seeing the outcome of this! Bit I will cast a professional eye over the full planing app tomorrow!

I love this! This will turn the hotels into a true resort!

I like the idea of new lodges on the resort. But these look ugly! It just looks so wrong, just doesn't suit Alton! I just can't picture it & would definitely not want to sleep in one. Its just so........ Weird!

There are many other "Magical" themes to choose from, but just please don't go for these monstrosities!

::)

I think the accommodation and site overall look visually impressive, its been a long time coming and I'm glad.

I do have a couple of reservations though:

The 'Hole' type - would interest me most, until I saw the only access to the bathroom was via the 2nd bedroom. Hmm, not ideal.

The lack of entertainment venue. If these were full 150 cabins with 4 people would mean an extra 600 people to squoze into the atrium of ATH.
Margs never really gets a large crowd beyond the kids show, and I saw someone suggesting karaoke is being planned - jesus christ I will never return to that place if it goes ahead. Karaoke is the worst invention known to entertainment and is the last resort.

Im hoping the restaurant in the plans could be a type of weatherspoons type pub, set up with mostly tables and serves food. I mean that large servery area could be a bar. I can hope, shhh.

Love it. Those Hobbit Holes are a must, and I wouldn't say no to any of the others either.

As for the lack of entertainment I guess they are saving that for the rumoured entertainments complex. It makes sense to build all the entertainment in one place.

I am pretty certain that an ents complex (cinema, bowling alley, bars, etc) will be built when phase 2 is being built. I can see this being a 2-3 year project

I know people like to joke, but interestingly, the 'hole' lodges, do appear to be shipping containers in essence.

Johno said:
I know people like to joke, but interestingly, the 'hole' lodges, do appear to be shipping containers in essence.

lol will probably be some shipping containers buried under mud

I don't know about in anyone else's locality, but if you describe somewhere as a 'hole' in my parts, it's an extremely unfavorable term! Made me wince when I read that!

Aside from that, I've never used the hotels and am unlikely to use these, but if it brings more money into the place I'm pleased. I do think they'll hit moderate opposition over this though.

But call it a Hobbit Hole and it becomes awesome, especially with The Hobbit being in cinemas when this opens ;)

Johno said:
and there's nothing wrong with that :)

If they are built from shipping containers I wouldn't complain at all. Why? Because they don't look like shipping containers.

Building a ride or a building out of a tin shed is perfectly legit, nearly every park does it. It's only because Merlin normal don't bother adding any theme to them and simply claim that they are part of the theme that people get peeved off. In this case there’s no danger of that as long as they are furnished inside and at the front.

Basic problems :

No lighting around the site
No lighting/path/clear route from the park to the hotels
No path to the monorail
Awkward for people to get luggage to the cabins without a parking space
No entertainment area
Poor road access still a problem

It is rather hidden in the documentation but there is an image of the "arrival building"

arrival.png

Blizzard said:
I like the idea of new lodges on the resort. But these look ugly! It just looks so wrong, just doesn't suit Alton! I just can't picture it & would definitely not want to sleep in one. Its just so........ Weird!

There are many other "Magical" themes to choose from, but just please don't go for these monstrosities!

::)

I think they really suit the fairytale theme they are going for - I also have a suspicion that they may have an IP lined up that will make all of this make sense. They'll certainly represent accommodation variety in the way that you would expect from a true resort - like the opportunity they've left for potential expansion in the future also. Seems Merlin are finally investing in something lasting and worthwhile for the park!

I think a middle earth IP would be genius for this project... But I don't think it would be easily obtained without a lot of budget.

Although further going into it, due to the success of the harry Potter IP Merlin may be up for the investment...

If it has a Lotr/middle earth IP it will be successfull, unless they really cock it up...

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, please excuse any ridiculous mistakes!

The theming plans for the main building are kind of a cross between Ranger County at Thorpe and the farm at Alton...

I'm surprised that there is only one new facility with this development consisting of just a restaurant with a reception area tagged on. They really need another bar with space for evening entertainment, a large children's indoor play area (what with the british climate) and probably some kind of outdoor activity area with archery, climbing walls, high ropes etc. I really like the proposed plan for the 'village' though with the small lakes, outdoor children's play areas for each cluster of accommodation and just the general layout altogether. Looks really promising. Not too sure on the theme, not my thing in general but it looks like it has the potential to be good. Alton Towers really love their quirky, whimsical themes don't they?

I do wonder though how on earth people are going to be able to practically get from the lodges to the rest of the resort and to get the monorail into the park. I suppose it would be quicker to walk to the entrance from there. They must be planning on connecting up the village with the resort through an entertainments area and possibly even a third hotel in the future, but I don't know how it will work in the short-term before they get to phase 2. Either way, some serious infrastructure upgrades are in order before the end of the decade.

All in all though, this looks set to be a fantastic development...so bring on 2014 as well as 2013!

:)

I've never stayed in the Hotel. The prices of the Travelodge and the hostels at Dimingsdale and Ilam Hall always made more sense when staying over.

This, however, offers that fairytale magic you can't get elsewhere (in the region) and will certainly offer a reason for me to stay onsite.

I've always liked the idea of staying in The Shire.

A Disney Village style development surely can't be too far behind this. There's far too much profit to be made from something like that!

Major New Accommodation in 2014 - Themed Lodges

Agreed on the Disney Village style entertainment centre not being too far away. Definitely not when both phases of this are built. Currently they may not think there is enough occupancy at the two hotels to justify it - but add on all these lodges and they must see the need for some more evening entertainment! Especially when the park is rarely open until late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

It's totally different from where I expected it to be. I presumed it'd be on the field next to ATH that used to host Field Of 1000 Screams.

What are they going to do to link this to the hotels? Because at the moment, there's only that road to ATH, with no pavement. Are they going to completely redesign the roads/paths around that area? :)

Where is it in relation to the ATH?

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.