• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Major New Accommodation in 2014 - Themed Lodges (Cancelled)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: Major New Accommodation in 2014 - Themed Lodges

The Psychoaster said:
Blizzard said:
I like the idea of new lodges on the resort. But these look ugly! It just looks so wrong, just doesn't suit Alton! I just can't picture it & would definitely not want to sleep in one. Its just so........ Weird!

There are many other "Magical" themes to choose from, but just please don't go for these monstrosities!

::)
I think they really suit the fairytale theme they are going for - I also have a suspicion that they may have an IP lined up that will make all of this make sense. They'll certainly represent accommodation variety in the way that you would expect from a true resort - like the opportunity they've left for potential expansion in the future also. Seems Merlin are finally investing in something lasting and worthwhile for the park!
I've got a feeling that this will link up with a re-theme of Storybook Land / Adventure Land in 2014 and will relate with each other in some way.

New for 2014 - The ULTIMATE Lodges.

Never has so much theme park technology been combined into these truly amazing lodges.

Overall I think these look great, very magicly and I like that they are quite hidden away, making them feel like a proper get away. The theme also fits well into the magic of alton towers. The layout of the different rooms and site also looks nice.

The only issues I see is that the parking is in car park J, and there doesnt seem to be any plans for a path to the main site. So does this mean people will have to park in car park J, then walk along the main road to reception and then to their room? I can just imagine people will park next to their hut and that will just make the place look messy with people parked on the grass, etc. Im surprised they havnt added a little space next to each hut like they have to the disabled one.

Another issue is the lack of evening entertainment. I really thought they would have added a pub or something similar to the site, where you could have a meal and relax during the evenings. Car park O and P is quite a walk to the hotels, especially at night if you have children with you.

However overall im very impressed by it.

I would imagine they don't want people driving around the complex for atmosphere/image purposes. The only exceptions being the accessible lodges as I presume that's some sort of a requirement. I would think it's likely that you physically won't be able to drive into the complex without some sort of authorization, there will be bollards or similar.

I am loving the look of these, like a little magical cul-de-sac :)

djtruefitt said:
Overall I think these look great, very magicly and I like that they are quite hidden away, making them feel like a proper get away. The theme also fits well into the magic of alton towers. The layout of the different rooms and site also looks nice.

The only issues I see is that the parking is in car park J, and there doesnt seem to be any plans for a path to the main site. So does this mean people will have to park in car park J, then walk along the main road to reception and then to their room? I can just imagine people will park next to their hut and that will just make the place look messy with people parked on the grass, etc. Im surprised they havnt added a little space next to each hut like they have to the disabled one.

On the proposed site plan there is a small path going from car park J, through the trees, to the site. :)

I've only had a very quick look at the concepts and some of the plans, but these look absolutely fantastic! If they are done just like the plans then it will be great, it really does all seem quite magical. This could be very exciting to follow; looking forward to reading more of the plans tomorrow!

:)

I get all confused with my car parks and locations, would someone lovely do one of those overlay images to show me where these will be?

Afraid I'm not able to do an overlay at the moment but in really simple terms it is the field (temp car park) directly in front of The Alton Towers Hotel, just at the other end of the entry road.

Get out Google maps and imagine drawing a straight line down the driveway. The new accommodation is in the first open field it would hit. The new roundabout on the plans will be just in front of the existing one that leads off to Splash or ATH.

Edit: Even simpler I've just noticed It's directly North of the Alton Towers Hotel

Indeed. To also help try and visualise, the car park spaces for the new accommodation will be an area of the paved car park that is stuck out of the way, near the access road to ATH.

Ben said:
I get all confused with my car parks and locations, would someone lovely do one of those overlay images to show me where these will be?

Basically, it's on the site previously set aside in the Long Term Development Plan! :D

Previous Overlay
5847f8b2663f4acead85989.png

http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/2659/5847f8b2663f4acead85989.png

New overlay with transparent layer
6e68c295db0c4da481a17aa.png

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/9653/6e68c295db0c4da481a17aa.png

New overlay with solid layer
f9377e4d85b745eb86ea2af.png

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/6981/f9377e4d85b745eb86ea2af.png

Site Plan
9101c181a2ee47c2931c6b5.png

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9065/9101c181a2ee47c2931c6b5.png

:D

...and everyone said the LTDP was rubbish ;)

After reading through the planning documents here are a few points that people may not have picked up on. Apologies if any of these have been posted.

- A new mini roundabout will be build where you currently turn off left to enter car park J, this will create the entrance to the lodge complex.
- When arriving at the complex, you park in one of 6 short stay parking spaces outside of the reception building. Here you can check in and unload your luggage/take it to your lodge. After this you park your car the the dedicated car park which will be part of car park J.
- There will be staff on golf buggies to help take luggage to your lodge if required.
- Only staff buggies, cars using disabled lodges and emergency vehicles will be permitted to drive around the actual site.
- As we know phase 1 opens in March 2014. Phase 2 is currently scheduled for March 2015 at the earliest, however this does depend on the success of phase 1 therefore it may be later.
- Construction will begin in July 2013.
- Each lodge/unit will contain a microwave, fridge, small sink and a kettle as part of the "living space".
- The restaurant is described as containing a canteen style offering of food.

They are all the main points I can remember at the moment!

:)

mrbrightside said:

It's worth pointing out a more detailed LTDP (in terms of study and reports) was finalised this year with it basically looking to implement everything previously suggested.

There's some interesting documents here which are well worth a read:

http://www.altontowersheritage.com/development/article.asp?articleid=146

I would recommending reading the one around transport as it contains a lot of information regarding visitor numbers and accommodation.

Rob said:
- The restaurant is described as containing a canteen style offering of food.

Given this is Towers, that sounds very worrying.

They need to create a major new path that links this development to ATH, without having to cross any roads. Use bridges if they must, it could be done.

Or redesign the whole area and try and eliminate cars and roads entirely from the 'ATH-Splash-lodges' triangle. :)

I'm fairly sure there will be new paths but they'll just come under the general development, so no planning needed.

mrbrightside said:
Not rubbish just not very well thought through. Quite a few parts have so far been inaccurate such as possible new ride locations. Then there is the plan to move the park's entrance which is a very bad idea. But I've already made one massive post tonight so I'll discuss why another time.

However the Hotel developments have been fairly accurate and look appealing. I certainly look forward to this entertainment complex idea and if it means a new exit (note exit and re-entry only) and a link between the park and the Hotels then it'll be a massive benefit.

Tim said:
I'm fairly sure there will be new paths but they'll just come under the general development, so no planning needed.

mrbrightside said:
Not rubbish just not very well thought through. Quite a few parts have so far been inaccurate such as possible new ride locations. Then there is the plan to move the park's entrance which is a very bad idea. But I've already made one massive post tonight so I'll discuss why another time.

Th13teen and Sub-Terra both featured on the LTDP so not sure what gives you that idea?

The proposal to move the park entrance is because within the next 7 years the park expect the average annual visitor numbers to be 3.3million. Basically, one day the entrance will need to move, or they will need to spend a needless amount in installing, maintaining and operating a new monorail type system. We have seen major park infrastructure changes in the past to meet demand, so therefore can't rule them out in the future. There is also existing sound issues that prevent the coach park etc being used before a certain time, so it makes senses that in the future they want to lower footfall in the area most nearest to houses.

However I think a lot of this would be more suited to a LTDP topic! :D Sorry for going off topic! *slaps hands*.

Aly said:
Tim said:

mrbrightside said:

Th13teen and Sub-Terra both featured on the LTDP so not sure what gives you that idea?

However I think a lot of this would be more suited to a LTDP topic! :D Sorry for going off topic! *slaps hands*.

I'll be brief as there is a new topic for this now. As Th13teen was already under construction when the LTDP was released it was hardly a proposed site, they already knew it was happening. Sub-Terra is half in a brown area half not so its hard to say. The Black Hole site wasn't originally marked at all although I'm sure they did say something about reusing the tent. Plus the valley isn't marked at all even though the more recent documents suggests a possible valley coaster.

Thanks for answering my other question.

I love them. Ahaaaa. It's good to see Wooden Lodges done the Alton Towers way!

Some people seem confused where this is going, its not on the field next to the hotel (car park k) its on car park o and p which is the field behind trees. They currently only use if very busy, you enter it near the traffic lights on the corner, right at the far end.

The new entrance would be where the entrance to car park j and k is now on the road to the hotels
then there will be some parking for the huts on the current tarmac car park j - current overflow near hotels.

I hope that makes sense.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.