• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Major Operational Changes for 2018

This is a bittersweet victory for us. In a year where Alton is opening a new major ride, it should be an opportunity for the park to shine and restore faith in it's customers, not alienating them. The revised decision don't go far enough for what is supposed to be the UK number 1 park

The real depressing thing is the apparent internal battle between Merlin and Towers on this.

It's about time that Alton grew some balls and say to Merlin, we need a decent budget to run this place like it should be

If we strip emotions from this the proposed offering is still far worse than last year's offering.

Yet people, particularly on Facebook, are congratulating Alton, thanking them and even putting posts such as 'We've won', 'that's what the power of the customers can do'.

Essentially we are thanking them for opening half of the park an hour later as compared to last season.

I give up.

:(

Last edited:
If we strip emotions from this the proposed offering is still far worse than last year's offering.

Yet people, particularly on Facebook, are congratulating Alton, thanking them on FB, and even putting posts such as 'We've won', 'that's what the power of the customers can do'.

Essentially we are thanking them for opening half of the park an hour later as compared to last season.

I give up.

I don't think they've chosen to do it to annoy everyone. The situation seems to be pretty desperate and it would appear Merlin don't seem to care that much as their focus seems to be on the midways that provides them with less revenue but far more profit and profit is king to them.

Yet people, particularly on Facebook, are congratulating Alton, thanking them on FB, and even putting posts such as 'We've won', 'that's what the power of the customers can do'.

I give up.

My point exactly, Thanks for cutting the hours down and not telling us what rides are going to open and when before 11am! And shutting down more food outlets and reducing the amount of outdoor seating! I'm ever so grateful!

My point exactly, Thanks for cutting the hours down and not telling us what rides are going to open and when before 11am! And shutting down more food outlets and reducing the amount of outdoor seating! I'm ever so grateful!
What outdoor seating have been removed?

What outdoor seating have been removed?

The whole of Mutiny Bay Courtyard is going to be out of action due to the fact that The Welcoming is still in its place (could be removed for start of the season but I doubt it). Also, chances are they will move the benches away from FV Burger Kitchen as that is closed this year although that sounds like too much effort...

How does the half price tickets work now that the theme park price has been reduced to £33? is it now only £33 for 2 people rather than the £50 odd it was before?

Its £33 if you book online, £55 on the gate. So if you have a voucher then it is 2for1 against the £55 price, or £27.50 each.

Now that online prices don't receive the ERT bonus, and that tickets sold online save people at the counter buying tickets, and help Alton towers plan, why are they not reduced to better match the price you can get with a voucher?

Seems odd to charge £5 more pp.

Just relying on ignorant public?

Now that online prices don't receive the ERT bonus, and that tickets sold online save people at the counter buying tickets, and help Alton towers plan, why are they not reduced to better match the price you can get with a voucher?

Because the plan is to get people buying passes, you’ll visit more than once with a pass even if you have a bad time at the park but those paying actual money most likely wouldn’t return if they had a bad visit.

What they should do is just offer season passes / MAP as only way to visit then they’ll get more visitors which in turn increases upsell (if things are actually open and at a decent standard)

The whole of Mutiny Bay Courtyard is going to be out of action due to the fact that The Welcoming is still in its place (could be removed for start of the season but I doubt it). Also, chances are they will move the benches away from FV Burger Kitchen as that is closed this year although that sounds like too much effort...
Oh yeah forgot about the courtyard!

This really annoys me. Years ago we were told everything booked online would be cheaper because of reduced overheads with online transactions. Now we get charged extra online for many things, for example 50p booking fee per ticket at Cineworld when you book online but nothing when you buy in-cinema. Where is the logic in that when you can show your online-booked ticket on your phone to get in therefore no paper used?

Now that ERT is removed, it's hard to justify the extra £6 or so on top of a 2 for 1 voucher. ERT was always the selling point when I went with people who didn't have a pass and were considering the 2for1. Now there is nothing as an incentive to buy online.

With all rides planned to be open by ... BY... 11am. At least before we had xsector open at 10am now they have a getout to keep everything shut till 11 :(

With all rides planned to be open by ... BY... 11am. At least before we had xsector open at 10am now they have a getout to keep everything shut till 11 :(

They've said that X-Sector will still be opening at 10am.

:)

They've said that X-Sector will still be opening at 10am.

Am I right in thinking that only the following will be open at 10AM? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

-The Smiler
-Oblivion
-Enterprise
-Wicker Man
-Spinball Whizzer
-The entirety of CBeebies Land
-Heave Ho!
-Marauders Mayhem

And the rest of the theme park, the Valley and DF, CCL, Hex, Rapids, Duel, Battle Galleons, RMT will open from 11?

Thanks.

I suspect we have been in the middle of some brinkmanship between Alton Towers and Merlin. There was no good reason to put out the operating hours in late January, this will have been a “look at the customer feedback” and Merlin begrudgingly adding some small change to a the budget.

But there is still a whole range of cuts going on here and people need to see that and still demand better.

Am I right in thinking that only the following will be open at 10AM? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

-The Smiler
-Oblivion
-Enterprise
-Wicker Man
-Spinball Whizzer
-The entirety of CBeebies Land
-Heave Ho!
-Marauders Mayhem

And the rest of the theme park, the Valley and DF, CCL, Hex, Rapids, Duel, Battle Galleons, RMT will open from 11?

Thanks.

Generally speaking yes, although it is expected that other areas of the park will open before 11am on busier days, or if those rides are ready.

Hopefully other rides will be able to open before 11am on a regular basis as it is still pretty shocking that so many rides could be closed for a full hour.

Generally speaking yes, although it is expected that other areas of the park will open before 11am on busier days, or if those rides are ready.

Hopefully other rides will be able to open before 11am on a regular basis as it is still pretty shocking that so many rides could be closed for a full hour.

My main issue with this is there are some occasions where rides aren't available.

The Smiler is another culprit for late opening.

Say Oblivion and The Smiler were down, the only like-for-like option open from 10 would be Wicker Man?

See from an efficiency point of view I’m
Not against staggered openings. If we roll back to 2014 and someone at Towers said “we will open every day until 6pm but there will be staggered openings between 10am and 11am” I could see the logic as the back of the park doesn’t see much footfall before 11 due to the sheer distance from the entrance but you would use the saving to fund later opening across the park which would give greater benefit to guests as people have spread out by late afternoon.

My issue is this plan is to cut the product.

Hmmm what a load of old tosh ! If you think I’m walking all the way to FV on the off chance they may open Nemmy early ..

You would be correct ! I’ll be waiting there from 930 am !

:D