• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Major Ride Closures 2016

Something different is played where QLV was (just after where the FT queue goes next to the main queue), the station video has been edited, "welcome to eternal darkness" has been cut out.

My brothers friend used to work there and was pretty much in the know about most things. When we asked him about the early days of Hex he told us it was a pretty similar story to the one that they have now, but the beggar actually injected the Earl with a green poison which left him on his deathbed. Things were looking very bad for the Earl until Marvin Gaye turned up with a secret white serum which brought him back to full health. I think the tagline was 'Hexual Healing' or something like that. I'd had a couple of drinks when we were discussing it though so I might not have it 100% correct.

I rode Hex when it first open, as I'm getting older, my memory is not what it used to be. What I could remember, the first projection room was basically the same as it is now. It was the octagon room that initially had a longer TV showing, which seemed to drag on forever before all the lights go out with the special lightning effects etc..

Back to the original topic. I Just hope these rumors are not true with regards to the ride closures. The park is in such a bad state and looks like it has been struggling for a few years now. I personally love the Flume and Hex, OK I'm not too fussed with the other attractions, but this is still not great for the UK's no. theme park.

It now looks like were told lies about the flume closing early a few months ago were due to lack of guess riding it (but we all knew this all along).

I was speaking to a couple of people from guess services over all three days on the firework weekend (I got to speak to these same people on all three days) and I express my disappointment with a various of things regarding this season. I was assured that next season is going to be better.

So either these people have been told porky pies or there is going to be more to these ride closures. Hopefully these rumors are either just rumors or these rides will be quickly re-themed and renamed over the winter months to up the guest numbers.

I can't understand hex though. It's an iconic ride, which the story is linked to the Towers history and it is got to be one of the best themed rides. Hopefully they are just closing it just for the season to carry out repairs, Hex was often down on my recent visits over the Scarefest and fireworks. My last ride on it on the Fireworks Sunday, it was pretty much knackered with half of the lights not working in the vault.

What I understand, is that Merlin often dictates how each attraction is to be run and they try and roll out the same policies at each one. I hear that Merlin wants all the Sealife centers across the country to have pre-booked time slots as oppose to turn up and enter as you arrive, just like they do at the London attractions.

I have questioned renewing my pass a couple of months ago and I'm beginning to wish that I hadn't. I'm dreading to see what next season really brings. I just hope that Alton proves us wrong and really pull something out of the bag.

I think I have the original videos somewhere, I'll have a look. I don't recall a lot about them.

And to think I visited Drayton Manor this year and not the Towers because I thought things were bad, next year sounds pretty catastrophic!

Wow I've just read this and really hope the closures aren't true or if they are the rides in question are at least being replaced, otherwise I just don't see how they are going to draw guests back to the place.

Will it mean I stop going next year. Yes and no. I'm pass holder who lives relatively close so will probably carry on with the if it's not too busy heading down for a few hours and going on the rollercoasters. However I won't be spending as much time in the park without the filler rides and I would probably think twice about taking my nieces who fall into the too old for CBeebies not sure on big thrill rides category or visiting with friends who don't enjoy rollercoasters as there wouldn't be much left for them to do. Regrettably I just couldn't justify the expense compared to literally nipping down the road to Drayton Manor where there would be more variety.

I think in the end really that Merlin, like any soulless business venture, only really cared about the name/brand and not everything else with it, same can be said with Thorpe and Chessie.

You weren't there man... walk on rides, friendly staff, and all the steins of German beer you could drink!

Last edited:
biggest problem with Flamingo Land. Too many people from castleford there. I want a day out away from cas.

The fact is, no matter what any of us like to say about how dire it is at Alton Towers, it's still frustratingly the only place in the UK with Thorpe Park that offers modern, quality rollercoasters in numbers.

The fact is, no matter what any of us like to say about how dire it is at Alton Towers, it's still frustratingly the only place in the UK with Thorpe Park that offers modern, quality rollercoasters in numbers.
Exactly why an American park would really suffer of they made cuts like this, yet towers still manages to make money because there are few places in the country that compete with it (limited to BPB and thorpe really).

I think if we break it down its not as bad as we think.

The flume - being removed (brought forward by 12 months)
Ripsaw - 2015 was always going to be its last season I recon
Charlie - end of agreement (re theme needed now)
Driving school is in the wrong place better in CBeebies land so low use age

So that's a few that have reached the end or brought forward

HEX though baffled be but it is very dated. The TVs are old, effects don't work, the floor is patched up s I think HEX is a season closed to fix, Health and safety up to standards, maybe the towers need work too.

Sub terror will become like saw alive, scare fest only IMO

I think 2016 won't need filler attractions as such so towers is getting the work done for 2017

10d27ce09f97af2228df0ca3c482ad77.jpg

Well the Smiler is reopening next year!

I seriously hope that Hex opens as well though as I don't see a reason to shut it.

Sub Terra, I like the ride but I understand

Charlie, good for the family but not a very good ride

Driving school, same as above

The Flume, never been on but it looked pretty tedious

Ripsaw, is awful, headaches and sickness and everything horrid. Glad it could be going

It's a bit shocking that all of these rides are closing next year but some of them I understand (or idc) and some of them I don't