Major Ride Closures 2016

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AstroDan, 20th Nov 2015.

1. Maelstrom

Maelstrom TowersStreet Member

If the park are given a decent investment amount for 2017 I imagine they will add a new flume ride, which will appeal to family's.

They could create a whole new themed family area up by Charlie and on the old coaster corner with a new dark ride to replace Charlie, a custom Vekoma suspended family coaster, and a couple of family flats. However that's unlikely to ever happen any time soon.

2. DiogoJ42

DiogoJ42 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    They need a BENCH clone.

josht and Croftybaby like this.
  3. Oatcakedodger

Oatcakedodger TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Swarm
    What rides are 100% closing, have Merlin/AT actually confirmed any will be ?

4. djtruefitt

djtruefitt TS Site Team Team Member

Hey haven't confirmed any rides yet, they said details would be announced in January, but of course they hasn't happened.

5. Leah

Leah TowersStreet Member

Pretty certain ripsaw is going, seen as though all the fountains and supports have been seen on the car park, and the gondola has been seen on a trailer outside the park.

Hex is almost definite too, as towers (seemingly accidentally) wrote that it would be closed on their website for a few hours.

6. Ted

Ted TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    Which in turn was marketed the wrong way for a family coaster. As good as Th13teen is a family coaster, the theme is just far too dark for families willing to ride it, so I guess most people don't look at it as a family ride thanks to its infamous marketing as well.

Towers currently have 9 coasters. Of these, 5 of them have a 1.4M height limit, 2 are 1.2M, and 2 are 0.9M. So I think another coaster along the lines of 0.9-1.2M wouldn't go amiss. Either that or a new dark ride would be brilliant I think.

Croftybaby likes this.
  7. James

James TS Founding Member

Coaster wise I think the park is fine to survive on that front for a while. What they need next ideally is a Flume replacement and a new dark ride in the chocolate factory warehouse.

Sadly the park has been such a mess for years there are a million things they could do/invest in next, so god knows what will actually happen over the next few years. Wiser investments need to be made (unlikely given we're getting VR slapped on a coaster this year for example) and themes need to be executed to a higher standard.

8. delta79

delta79 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis, Air
    Where on the website?

9. MilesK

MilesK TowersStreet Member

Why the hell would they close Hex?! It's the best dark ride on park, if not the UK! Gonna miss riding it if it does close.

10. Martin

Martin TowersStreet Member

The 'they' you are referring to is Merlin and I believe that answers your question.

PeteB and MilesK like this.
  11. James

James TS Founding Member

It was on the Hex page. Was quickly removed when it was mentioned on here that they announced its closure!

12. delta79

delta79 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis, Air
    So someone drop a clanger then :D

13. Matt.GC

Matt.GC TowersStreet Member

Could this mean it is a possibility it could open then? I can't see why they'd go to all that trouble removing it only to have to break the news again.

14. MaxPower

MaxPower TowersStreet Member

I think the rumour was that Hex along with Sub Terra would be SBNO next season rather than removed entirely.

The main reason for Hex being closed I would imagine is because it is one of the most expensive rides to run due to the amount of staff required, aswell as the issue with the vault not parking.

15. spinba11

spinba11 TowersStreet Member

When did the parking problem start? It was bad last Feb (over shooting by 45-90 degrees).

16. djtruefitt

djtruefitt TS Site Team Team Member

I'm sure it's had issues with parking for years now.

17. TowerTigger

TowerTigger TowersStreet Member

I won't go on Battle Galleons for obvious reasons :)

She has been on Spinball, Enterprise and Thirteen but she seems to have lost her bottle a bit and says she doesn't want to go on them when we go back in April (or maybe not now). Although I am hoping to change her mind. She went on Spin Ball last year and enjoyed it then went on Thirteen and the going backwards scared her lol. In her little head she has joined them up as being two rides she doesn't want to go on now, forgetting she loved Spinball. Enterprise makes us both feel a bit sick :)

So we are down to seven rides maybe...

She loved the Flume, Driving School and Hex.

Will see what happens when the park reopens but thinking we might be best trying a different park. We went to Blackpool in October and February and she could go on so many more rides.

18. Leah

Leah TowersStreet Member

My brother is like that, he'd enjoy lots of the rides at towers, but wont go on, (or has been on them but wont again). My parents bribe him with a towers football or something. Still cant get him on hex though.

19. spinba11

spinba11 TowersStreet Member

The Flume wont reopen.

20. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Indeed, Alton Towers have now confirmed in their latest blog post that The Flume is being retired, as TowersStreet exclusively reported back in November!. Also confirms that Ripsaw has been removed, for the few doubters out there!

A replacement for The Flume in 2017 is essential in my eyes.

Rather amusing that Towers haven't yet bothered to link to their own blog post with this news in it. And they've still not fully confirmed their 2016 line-up which they said they would be doing in January.

:)

jon81uk, Tom and James like this.