Major Ride Closures 2016

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AstroDan, 20th Nov 2015.

1. Altonadvocate1

Altonadvocate1 TowersStreet Member

Looking forward to the banners in Mutiny bay and Katanga canyon.

"World beating new water ride for 2017... every water ride you ever dreamed of in one..."

PeteB and MilesK like this.
  2. RoyJess

RoyJess TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Oblivion? Valhalla? or Apocalypse?
    I personally think we are very much spoilt with what in on offer at the Towers today. Back in the 80's all we had in the way of rollercoasters was the cork screw, the black hole, the 4 man toboggan ride the beastie/dragon coaster and the Log flume was also classed as a top white knuckle ride. The second drop in the dark used to be pitch black and unexpected, this is how I like it. In later years, that drop became semi lit which kind of spoilt it.

I hope that they replace this ride with something bigger and better. I do love the idea of something as immersing as the Valhalla.

However I will be happy if they just repair and re-theme the existing flume, but make it decent with some awesome animatronics. With all the new TLC program this could quiet easily be done over the next years closed season.

Mind you the Flume has lasted a good few years, it goes to show you that they don't make/build them like they used to....

3. Ryan B

Ryan B TowersStreet Member

I think it'll be a mack water coaster, or an indoor water ride replacing the flume,if it's an indoor, I reckon it would take up the area by the man made lake, am I right in thinking the wood meandering section is quite hard to gain planning permission for. Water ride Next season and wooden coaster in 2019? Seems viable to me.

4. Matt.GC

Matt.GC TowersStreet Member

Just a decent, heavily themed, modern flume come dark ride would suffice for me.

jon81uk likes this.
  5. Martin

Martin TowersStreet Member

Not happy with this, I liked The Flume, and it soaked up crowds well in summer. Although it obviously has been coming ever since they didn't retheme it with the rest of the area when the IP ran out. Flumes should be staples of all big parks so hopefully a modern, well themed replacement comes along soon that integrates it into Mutiny Bay.

skyscraper and TheMan like this.
  6. delta79

delta79 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis, Air
    In more ways than one :D

7. Poisson

Poisson TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Giant Squid
    The flume is beyond repair, it needs re-troughing, which is not worth it...

Was saying it was unavailable today XD

[​IMG]

8. GaryH

GaryH TowersStreet Member

Sad times :( so many happy memories on the Flume. They could have kept it running if they looked after it. The money spent on Battle Galleons would have been better spent on the Flume in my opinion.

TheMan and skyscraper like this.
  9. PeteB

PeteB TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Question.......

How come both the The Flume and The Rapids had their water effects turned off due to Health & Safety saying they couldn't recycle the trough water because it was dirty, yet its perfectly fine on Battle Galleons to be squirting everybody with dirty water from the lake?

10. Olii

Olii TowersStreet Member

The galleons are filled from a mains water source, not the lake.

They have a tank inside that's filled from the pipe in the station that pours mains water into the top of their masts.

jon81uk and skyscraper like this.
  11. DiogoJ42

DiogoJ42 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    I believe that BG refills the tanks with clean mains water while the boat is in the station.
    EDIT: Beaten to it.

TheMan likes this.
  12. GaryH

GaryH TowersStreet Member

What about the guns around the side of the ride?

13. DiogoJ42

DiogoJ42 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    They would also be mains water. I would hope, anyway.

skyscraper likes this.
  14. JB1985

JB1985 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Oblivion
    I have a feeling we may see a wooden coaster on the flume site.

skyscraper likes this.
  15. James

James TS Founding Member

I would rather see the woodie stay in Forbidden Valley, and The Flume site with a water ride.

Do we know if they need planning permission to build something on The Flume site, or does it come under the GDO?

I'm hoping the area isn't left empty for too long and we see something in the near future, 2017 ideally.

16. skyscraper

skyscraper TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    we all know that after the Black Hole was removed, it's area was left empty for a long time until The Smiler was built, so i won't be surprised if the same happens with The Flume's area.

Last edited: 3rd Mar 2016
  17. James

James TS Founding Member

I know about the Black Hole site. :p That why I hope the Flume site doesn't end up the same. It's a good chunk of land and it would be a shame to see such a large space stay empty for years to come.

skyscraper likes this.
  18. BarryZola

BarryZola TowersStreet Member

You'd think that with that Merlin guy's profile from the other day saying that he's working on 2 projects for Towers for 2017 & 2018 that we'll see something of interest happening around either FV or Flume site at some point this season, however minimal. Obviously I understand that the Smiler incident may have altered things, possibly. Look out for balloons and stuff :)

19. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Shameless plug! ;)

The lake, queue and station areas are covered by Permitted Development Rights but not the wooded area where most of the ride took place. So if they planned to venture out into the woods with a new ride they would require planning permission.

It's now just two weeks and one day until the season starts and Towers still haven't confirmed their full 2016 ride line-up despite saying they would do so during January. What are they up to? Afraid to admit more closures or negotiating back tracks with the finance people?

:)

skyscraper and James like this.
  20. Poisson

Poisson TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Giant Squid
    I'm thinking AT may have presented a case to Merlin for opening more rides. I hope.