• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Major Ride Closures 2016

Has anybody actually seen anything happening with Sub Terra this year?

Apart from the sign being removed, it doesn't seem like there's much TLC being aimed in that direction..
I'm not saying there that there has been a ton of activity on that ride (I suspect there hasn't), but if it's getting some TLC I'm not sure how you think anyone is going to see it.

I'm not saying there that there has been a ton of activity on that ride (I suspect there hasn't), but if it's getting some TLC I'm not sure how you think anyone is going to see it.
If they were serious about giving it the type of attention that it needs, I'd expect some indication that something was being done (staff going in and out of the ride for example).

I don't think the park even knows at this stage what they're going to do with it.

I don't think the park even knows at this stage what they're going to do with it.
I'd guess they'd use the service entrance, but yeah - I think you're right. I suppose it depends how far they got with fixing the restraints after the issues they had with that change that they made.

it's worth noting that the decision to close these rides was made by people who access to the numbers in terms of ridership, so you have to think that the decision was made on the basis of 'What can we cut back to provide fiscal savings and not hack too many people off' etc - alongside overheads. I think it's a shame that resulted in three dark rides closing, but arguably it's better to have a shuttered building than a static roller coaster - we had one of those for long enough, albeit for different reasons.

Also, that building isn't really that big and is (obviously) designed for what is currently in there, so if it was going to be repurposed, I imagine you'd be pretty stuck putting anything else of any scale in there. My gut tells me that Sub Terra will be the last of those rides to reopen, unless Charlie requires a retheme that doesn't get a budget for x years.

@Jared, see the discussion here re: Th13teen. Also, you can use the 'MultiQuote' button under posts to quote multiple quotes in the same thread.

Have a good day tomorrow. Ride availability seems pretty patchy at the moment but I'm sure they're doing all they can to resolve.

@Jared, see the discussion here re: Th13teen. Also, you can use the 'MultiQuote' button under posts to quote multiple quotes in the same thread.

Have a good day tomorrow. Ride availability seems pretty patchy at the moment but I'm sure they're doing all they can to resolve.

I'll keep that in mind. I've never used this forum set up before so not aware of multi quotes. I'll keep things tidy from now on! I'm certain they're doing everything too!

Too much information gets you nowhere...

nMuPcYn.jpg

Oh yeah, aha. I'd forgotten the general public seem to have a tendency to over react to stuff, especially when it comes to rides. Saying there's a problem with a safety system is a red light for some people and the over reaction begins. I guess it is asking a little much and, as others have said, they don't owe us ride enthusiasts anything.

No one here knows for sure what's going on, but there's lots of speculation. I think you're right about charlie's ip running out being the main cause of the closure, and it is very likely to be rethemed/removed in the next few years.

The general speculation on hex is that it was having issues parking last year, and many effects had broken over the years. It also utilises parts of the towers themselves, which will need renovations even so often. We assume that hex will reopen either late this season or for the start of next season, and that it has been closed to fix the parking issues and refurbish the ride and building. Don't worry, I doubt it's going anywhere anytime soon.

I hadn't heard that Hex was suffering from mechanical issues but I've heard squeaking/grinding at set off and stop the past couple times I've ridden it. Presumed the brakes needed some oil, but this would make more sense. Also the fact it partly takes place in the ruins which will need restoration work every so often. It's just that Hex is one of my favourites and I'm there tomorrow...gonna miss it.

Also, that building isn't really that big and is (obviously) designed for what is currently in there, so if it was going to be repurposed, I imagine you'd be pretty stuck putting anything else of any scale in there. My gut tells me that Sub Terra will be the last of those rides to reopen, unless Charlie requires a retheme that doesn't get a budget for x years.

My understanding is that the above-ground building for Sub Terra only really hides the giant pit going into the ground. In that way, either a very similar ride would have to go in there or they remove the building and fill the hole in.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for SW8, but at the same time very upset it's on the site of the flume! Went to Alton in June and my trip did not feel complete without a ride on the log flume, I was looking at photos earlier and I've realised how much I'm going to miss the classic!

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for SW8, but at the same time very upset it's on the site of the flume! Went to Alton in June and my trip did not feel complete without a ride on the log flume, I was looking at photos earlier and I've realised how much I'm going to miss the classic!
completely agree- i went to AT last Saturday (2nd July), and the day did not fell complete without the Flume, Charlie and (especially) Hex. there were three big holes in my ride schedule :(.

It felt as though I spent most of my time in Forbidden Valley and Katanga Canyon. Rita and Th13teen having a bit of down time, no need to go if there's no Hex nor Charlie, also that I'm not brave enough for Oblivion or The Smiler! Yet!

Cant say I miss The Flume really, wasn't a particularly great example of variable ride type.

It is ashame they have removed the Flume as all theme parks (IMO) need a flume ride. However, of all the SBNO's this season at least we can see the reason behind it & it's not just cost cutting. SW8 looks great but let's hope we see a new modern flume ride at the park in the near future.

However, of all the SBNO's this season at least we can see the reason behind it & it's not just cost cutting.
It must be cost cutting though! The Flume has been SBNO since the beginning of October last year, when it would normally be open for Scarefest and Fireworks. Given that SW8 construction isn't due to start for a while yet, why else would they just close a ride? If there's one ride that isn't just cost cutting, it's Hex, as we know that there is definitely work going on.

:)

It's no secret that flumes are expensive, not only to operate but also to maintain. They're also, comparitive to more modern rides, fairly risk heavy in terms of the way they operate and how much the safety of the rider is in the hands of the rider and not the park.

Parks across the world are getting shut of their flumes. They're too much hassle, no matter how fun they are.

The Flume at Yarmouth Pleasure beach has been given some TLC over the winter. Last year the base was partly referbish and this year it was the top half that got partly refurbish. So that won't be one flume closing soon :)

Oh by the way, here is a secret video of them testing out the replacement ride for the flume :eek:

Given that SW8 construction isn't due to start for a while yet, why else would they just close a ride?
before they even start constructing SW8, they have got to demolish the Flume and do some ground-work. that is why the flume is closed. i think i read somewhere that the actual construction of SW8 won't begin until next year (2017).
this year, as i said above, they will be demolishing the Flume and doing ground-work

before they even start constructing SW8, they have got to demolish the Flume and do some ground-work. that is why the flume is closed. i think i read somewhere that the actual construction of SW8 won't begin until next year (2017).
this year, as i said above, they will be demolishing the Flume and doing ground-work
Why would it have closed last year. There is obviously some cost cutting going on. Yes, the flume is ultimately closing to make way for sw8, but I might believe it wasn't cost cutting if they'd actually started taking it down.

I do wonder how many repairs it would of required to keep it running until it was shut to be removed.
It has to come down to being cost affective for the little time it had left.

TBH with the time it came from, The Flume and it's 69 button op panel is probably actually really simple