• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Malaysian Airlines Flight 17

Jonathan

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Helix <3
News is emerging from Ukraine that Malaysian Airlines Flight 17, a Boeing 777-200ER from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, has crashed in Ukraine near the border with Russia. Suspicion at the moment is that it may have been shot down, but it's not clear as to who may have done this. It's clearly a massive tragedy for the airline, what with MH370 going missing back in March, and it's making me wonder about what's going to happen next. I hope it's not the start of World War 3...

I hope it's not the start of World War 3...

Nope, definitely not World War 3, that's a tad sensationalist considering how aware major countries are of the impact of such conflict. You will see a souring of relations between countries along with the usual condemnation and sanctions from the UN no doubt too. My guess at this stage would be that the SAMs were given to the 'rebels' by Russia. I say 'rebels', because I highly doubt Russia are stupid enough to give such a massively powerful weapons to anyone without direct supervision and operation from their own military.

OK, maybe I overreacted a bit when I made my initial post - I was just a bit shocked at what's happened, and didn't think things through properly. This image has been posted on Twitter, which I find interesting: https://twitter.com/BreckRoadOne/status/489854650544570368
I don't know why, but that image looks like it may have been faked - the passports look too intact, and I'm puzzled as to why they're in a pile like that.

(Basing the below on the theory that the aircraft was mistakenly brought down by a SAM fired by pro Russian rebels here)

Whilst I don't believe we'll see a World War out of this, I do think we'll see some pretty strong statements and sanctions in the coming weeks. Judging by the varied nationalities of the passengers, this is something that will likely get far more exposure than previous shoot down incidents.

In addition, major questions will be asked as to why rebel forces are in possession of such weapons, when presumably they don't have the access to national air traffic control information which would have allowed them to identify the aircraft and prevent this incident in the first place. I'm pretty certain that the shooting down of the plane was an error, but for such a mistake to be made at the hands of presumably Russian-supplied weapons will really strain international relations with Russia.

As for the passports, I don't believe they're faked. Considering the aircraft was shot down and broken up mid air, it's entirely possible for documents like that to survive without being burned, especially for those away from the middle of the plane. Obviously they would have been collected from the luggage and bodies across the site, and piled up as they are in the photo. But, considering the likes of luggage and aircraft parts such as seats seem to be intact in some photos, some passports would have definitely been undamaged.

6 Americans onboard apparently. Worrying at the least, terrifying at the worst seen as this could end up escalating into war. Either way, the world is so messed up atm, a world war wouldn't surprise me, just another excuse for the ruling elite to use up more of their bullets and take away more freedom, and the 99% are the ones who'll have to deal with the consequences if the worst comes to the worst.

Just watch the news - the world is already practically at war. Thats all it is lately, guns, wars, violence. Annoys me that if countries spent as much money as they do on their military, there would be hardly any diseases, homeless, and suffering. The world is pretty messed up right now. Maybe a world war is needed to restore some balance, reduce the populations and remind people just how precious life is, because I think people have forgotten this.

This obsession with planes since the 11 September attacks is exactly what the terrorists had hoped to achieve in the first place - irrational fear.

Yes, the accident and loss of life is terrble, but it is an isolated incident.

Just watch the news - the world is already practically at war. Thats all it is lately, guns, wars, violence. Annoys me that if countries spent as much money as they do on their military, there would be hardly any diseases, homeless, and suffering. The world is pretty messed up right now. Maybe a world war is needed to restore some balance, reduce the populations and remind people just how precious life is, because I think people have forgotten this.

World revolution definitely. Another world war will just make everything worse.

The day mankind stops fighting will be the day we cease to exist.

OK, maybe I overreacted a bit when I made my initial post - I was just a bit shocked at what's happened, and didn't think things through properly. This image has been posted on Twitter, which I find interesting: https://twitter.com/BreckRoadOne/status/489854650544570368
I don't know why, but that image looks like it may have been faked - the passports look too intact, and I'm puzzled as to why they're in a pile like that.
My head is still wobbled from this.

Aye I've heard that one. And one about Israel buying an identical plane and possibly repainting it around the time the first one went missing. I've added an extra couple of layers of tinfoil just to be safe.