• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Malicous or dangerous content?!?!

alee298

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Colossus or Oblivion
This is a bit wierd, my computer, every 15 mins or so will close towersstreet due to malicous or dangerous content? Help please!

Can you print screen the message if you get it again, this happens on forums every so often usually due to someone's avatar or sig. The message can help us localise what's causing it. PM Joel with the screen shot if you can get it.

Dave said:
Can you print screen the message if you get it again, this happens on forums every so often usually due to someone's avatar or sig. The message can help us localise what's causing it. PM Joel with the screen shot if you can get it.

I think it might be the same as the warning I get from Avast and that is a warning about the ads.....

Has anyone else experienced this issue?
Ive had a look on 3 different browsers on 2 ips (and mobile) and looked at a variety of topics - no such warnings have popped up.

If anyone does please screenshot the issue and let us know what topic you were in. Thanks.

I am not sure if this is the same thing, I sent this to Joel in a PM on the 22nd.

"
I just got this when trying to get into chat. It was after clicking the join chat. The second bit where it is the big blue chat button.

http://prntscr.com/mxib7

Not sure what it is, I got in ok after a couple of attempts. Thought you might need to know."

That looks dodgy to me Jem!

I would NOT click install unless someone else can suggest that link is ok.

Does Chrome offer AV with their installs?? And are they prone to such stupid grammar errors??

I may be wrong but that rings alarm bells to me. Anyone else with any thoughts?

TheMan said:
That looks dodgy to me Jem!

I would NOT click install unless someone else can suggest that link is ok.

Does Chrome offer AV with their installs?? And are they prone to such stupid grammar errors??

I may be wrong but that rings alarm bells to me. Anyone else with any thoughts?

It's definitely malware/adware. Chrome does not force you to install updates, and certainly doesn't just do it randomly whilst in the middle of browsing.

Don't worry I didn't and Norton caught it anyway. But I have a feeling it was one of the ads it was trying to load at the top of chat.

Seems like that issue with the site may be on your own PC Jem.

I would advise Malwarebytes as your first stop, unless anyone else has other suggestions/concerns.

Also google check, from a different computer if possible, the issues that you are having as a hijacked browser can be an issue with getting information on how to clear it out!

I had that nasty one last year, where it masks itself as Windows Defender (XP Defender), and disables all of your AV and everything - thankfully a system restore fixed it - that would be a first port of call! That can bypass some hijacking malware. (I was surprised this worked, but it did). I then used Malwarebytes etc.

Malwarebytes from CNET

I would say the fact it keeps flagging up issues with the sites are deliberate "false positives", but of the Spy/Malware type to trick you into installing more of their software. If you have, you had better get moving quick time and get it off your system.

Hope this helps.

Out of interest Jem, which chat client were you trying to use? Some of them include their own adverts, which would probably be out of our control, if they weren't our site. I'm sure Chrome usually does silent updating though, and doesn't actually tell you when it's doing it?

Was probably something being pulled over from there. Probably in the form of an ad, much like the forums do with signatures or images sometimes. It all looks fine here though, and I wouldn't worry.

If in doubt with things that supposedly want to update or install just close or ignore them :)

Unless the browser says an update is available from the "About Google Chrome" section, just ignore. I use to get them all the time for IE and still get those dodgy emails saying that I need to update my bank details. Funy thing is that its normally for Barclays and I dont even bank with them.

So yeah, unless you are sure its genuine, just ignore and try again. Besides, Chrome doesn't have Service Packs like that its trying to make out. They just release an higher version number like most companies and they don't offer antivirus software bundled with it, instead it uses a builtin sandbox to run any scripts in.