• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Media Coverage of Alton Towers

I don't think it's brave at all, bravery comes from those who haven't had the easy route to handle adversary (in this case, a massive legal payout), and have gone above and beyond what is expected... Getting your body out for the papers is lowest common denominator stuff...

Those who participate in this year's Paralympics are brave...

First off, I don't want people to read this in the wrong tone. I'm not trying to say it's a good thing the smiler crashed.

She has been given an amazing opportunity. I doubt I'm ever going to get so much attention for being able to walk or talking about rollercoaster. She's got an amazing opportunity, she is in every right to be make the most of it, and in a way I kind of respect her for doing it.

But I don't respect her nearly as much as I respect the other three who were on the front row. Daniel thorpe (remember, he actually exists) was also injured, and though he didn't sustain life changing injuries, I'm sure he media would jump at the chance to get him to slam towers. He has obviously chosen to be in the media's attention.

I have even more respect for Joe and Leah. I think they had the worst of the media, with the focus not only being on the injures and the crash, but also their relationship and personal life. They have also managed everything so calmly, saying that they wouldn't immediately blame towers and would wait, and even hosting charity events to support those who rescued them. They are brave, and I respect them so much for it.

Yes, I think Vicky should be able to make the most of it, but it's getting harder and harder to remember that whilst she's having all these garbage articles about her. I hope she will graciously step away from the media once she realizes that people don't actually care any more, but something tells me she will keep milking it until the media drop her. It's not damaging towers any more, they're not going to close the smiler because her modelling career is doing well, and eventually, she's just going to look desperate.

To be fair, there aren't many amputee lingerie models (at least not in the mainstream...), so if this is what she's comfortable and confident doing, then good on her for making the best of a potentially limiting situation. Whether her career will have longevity, or dismissed as just a gimmick, remains to be seen. Rather like The Smiler itself.

13866669_1296124037095072_1667309429_n.jpg

So now, she's milking the fact that she is supposedly not milking the whole thing, by going yet again to the tabloids to do some more milking.

Not entirely sure why she hasn't got a job working with cows yet.

Whether you think she should or not, you can't argue that she's not milking it. I'm not going to start a discussion about whether it's right or wrong that she should milk it, but she is. And now the media have started accusing her of milking it, I think we are beginning to see the end of her fame.

Well I personally don't have an issue with the coverage she's getting. If she is 'milking it', so what? If the shoot and positive reaction has helped her self-esteem then isn't that a good thing? And if the media want to contribute to her 'milking' then why should she turn it down?

Well I personally don't have an issue with the coverage she's getting. If she is 'milking it', so what? If the shoot and positive reaction has helped her self-esteem then isn't that a good thing? And if the media want to contribute to her 'milking' then why should she turn it down?
She's claimed that she's not milking it though. I think she should milk it if she wants to (at her own risk, people will criticise her if she keeps going). No one can argue that she's not milking it though. She clearly is.

And aren't the media milking her milking?

People are still reading and reacting to it. It sells.

She's claimed that she's not milking it though. I think she should milk it if she wants to (at her own risk, people will criticise her if she keeps going). No one can argue that she's not milking it though. She clearly is.

Personally, I think she is using the publicity to help kick-off her modelling career so when the media do drop her she'll have the foundations in place. Does that quantify as milking it? It's subjective. But it doesn't bother me like it seems to bother others.

Last edited:
Milking? Any more and her arms will drop off along with her blistered hands. Towers are probably pricing up Agent 47 as we speak to do a job

She soon is going to be appearing on BBC 1 Sunday Morning Live program.

Talking about all the online abuse and the accusations of her milking her situation etc...yawn!

She's probably got one of those crappy agents that the likes of Kerry Katona and Jade Goody had. Any old story to keep them in the tabloid/celebrity news so that they can go on to sell the next crappy story. Until it all finally fizzles out in the end and off the agent trots without a care in the world. But yeah, if that's what she wants to do then just get on with it.

It was a panel discussion involving her, Hilary Devey and others on online trolling and how to deal with abuse, harassment, death threats etc. on social media. Nothing really to do with Alton Towers.

That's a bit pathetic. It's not like they avoid car accidents and that causes a lot more deaths. I know theme park accidents aren't common, but not everyone is related to the smiler.

To be honest though, I wouldn't mind them avoiding it. Not that I'd think it offencive, but because I really don't want people to think rollercoasters are dangerous.

Everything in life can be related to something if you squint hard enough. Soap operas are always going to tread on the toes of pretty sensitive issues. Ultimately, people just love to complain these days.

Last edited: