• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Media Coverage of Alton Towers

Wow, not sure how that is the main headline on the Mail's website. Paints a very sad but accurate picture of what's going on at the park though.

:)

2AFBC85300000578-0-image-a-2_1438327813215.jpg

What a load of BS!! You pan that camera to the right and you'll see a nice healthy row of cars starting to fill the car park up, most people aren't arriving early right now because they know the place is dead.

Seems like they had photographers standing around, waiting until they can get the fewest people in shot then quickly snapping pictures.

I never said that doesn't annoy me either ;)

I think it just makes them sound like they don't know what they're talking about.

What a load of BS!! You pan that camera to the right and you'll see a nice healthy row of cars starting to fill the car park up, most people aren't arriving early right now because they know the place is dead.
I've seen the car park only filled a few rows up recently and it's been like that for the whole day.

@Tom.B I know it has been pretty empty recently but I'm annoyed at the fact that they deliberately pointed the camera away from the few cars that were already there. You can even see them driving in at the top left ffs!

@Tom.B I know it has been pretty empty recently but I'm annoyed at the fact that they deliberately pointed the camera away from the few cars that were already there. You can even see them driving in at the top left ffs!
Ah I see what you mean now. Yeah I agree. :)

Hmm lets see, headline news over all the killings and wars in the world.... then they take photos of a theme park commenting on how quiet it is after THEIR newspaper scared people away with their twatty reporting! Wow, well theres a surprise.

On the flip side, im going next weekend so at least it will be nice and quiet!

Hmm lets see, headline news over all the killings and wars in the world.... then they take photos of a theme park commenting on how quiet it is after THEIR newspaper scared people away with their ****ty reporting! Wow, well theres a surprise.

On the flip side, im going next weekend so at least it will be nice and quiet!

To be fair, all of the "killings and wars in the world" are total lies, or based around lies anyway. You think they tell the truth about that kind of stuff after witnessing the abundant lies the media has told about Towers recently?

This kind of coverage may actually boost numbers however, as smart people will now be rushing to the park to whore all of the rides. I'm certainly up for a bit of that! :)

Went today, wasn't this bad. Largest Queue advertised all day was for Spinball and CBeebies land rides.
Photos are of different sizes and not that good photos themselves in terms of framing so I'm sure some cropping would do, take everything with a pinch of salt as everything - especially the tabloids is a construction not a representation. Especially now in such a tough time for the Towers.

Typical tabloid tosh. Her quote actually states she realises that the park is a business and that they were bound to reopen the ride, and that her personal preference is that the ride was closed permanently.

Somehow the headline screams "CRASH VICTIM DEMANDS RIDE DESTROYED"

This is why I don't read rubbish newspapers and their shoddy reporting.

Best to get all this out the way early.

Sensible this from Towers. Now the headlines are coming out a few weeks before opening.

Of course I feel sorry for that girl, I once parked my car up a tree due to ice on the road, I didn't demand the road was closed, the tree removed, or blame the car.

This was human error, it's tragic, but the reports clearly show it's NOT the ride's fault.

If it was, I'd probably want the damn thing pulled down as well!

I do though think the general consensus of expecting someone having undergone something so extreme to not speak about it, or want it pulled down, is a little lacking in compassion or empathy.

(@kris3012 I've just edited this post, you may wish to review your like)

I can't imagine what it would be like living with life changing injuries. Emotionally and physically.

But on the other hand there are many people that have suffered life changing injuries in road accidents every year, I don't see them shouting out "Let's Destroy all Roads and Road Vehicles!" They usually campaign for safer drivers and roads.

As far as the Smiler is concern, it is safe otherwise the HSE will not allow it to reopen and the cause was human error and it is down to Alton management to ensure that all staff are properly trained to ensure that they follow all H&S procedures when operating these rides.

This latest news report list some of the safety features added (which we already knew about)

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...ured/ar-BBqbxE0?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=mailsignoutmd

"The theme park said it has new safety measures across all multi-car rollercoasters in a bid to prevent a similar crash from happening.

“On re-opening, The Smiler ride will also incorporate an extensive set of new safety measures, including technical improvements and enhanced training.

“The technical improvements include multiple additional CCTV camera and additional manual reset buttons around the track which require staff to inspect each individual section to verify it is clear before authorisation can be given to restart the ride.”

I have a lot of sympathy for everyone involved. Its right it cost Merlin a great cost and the victims are getting everything they deserve in public support, support for their injuries and financial support.

But... That doesn't give stupid comments, thoughts and opinions a free pass. The ride is safe. I trust the HSE to make a call on that. Merlin have clearly satisfied the HSE that enough changes have been made to stop a repeat incident. Asking for the ride to be destroyed / removed is as crazy as asking for the whole of the M6 to be ripped up every time someone has a serious injury from a crash.