• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Media Coverage of Alton Towers

I have very limited internet connection, Could someone please quote or summarise it?

Last edited:
I have very w internet connection, Could someone please quote or summarise it?
‘7 Legless’ team dress up as Alton Towers Smiler ride amputees

JOSEPH ARCHER

CLAIRE ANDERSON

They had fake legs hanging off them

For Monday’s 7 Legged pub crawl, a group of Nottingham students dressed as The Alton Towers Smiler ride and called themselves “7 Legless”.

Their costumes referred to the accident of June last year, where five people were seriously injured and two each had a legamputated.

Hilarious. Maybe these people should be forced to meet the victims?

As tasteless and vile as it is, I do wonder which one will appear on GMB either tomorrow morning or at the weekend to talk about this?

You know it's going to happen...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surprised it took this long for someone to try this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can imagine this has been tried before, just that this is the first occasion the media caught wind of.

The saddest thing about it is how unsurprising it is.

Last edited:
This was on my local news http://thetab.com/uk/nottingham/201...nt&utm_medium=university&utm_campaign=twitter takes some skill to be such trashy people.

Joe Pugh also tweeted his disgust about it
I think that Is really disrespectful to all the crash victims, Merlin, Anyone who has been on the ride and Gerst. I hope the media get to this. I don't mind the occasional joke of 'its a leg chopper' or 'its a death trap' but taking the mickey out of the incident like that is completely disrespectful. You don't see someone do that everytime an incident happens at Disney or Six Flags.

Last edited:
While I don't like it, people are entitled to do and say whatever they want privately. I really don't care if people make a joke about it around people they know.

This crossed the line though. Not only is it mocking an accident that left people with serious injuries and traumatic memories, but the victims or their families could easily see it. I know that most people on here will have no idea what it's like to be in that type of accident, but it's not hard to imagine how you would feel if someone made a disrespectful joke about a life changing injury you received.

To make it even worse, it gives the media an opportunity to drag the story on even longer. I know we all hate how the media are still writing stories and damaging towers further, but by doing something like this, people are practically writing it for them. Absolutely disgusting.

It is funny, sorry.

It's perhaps a bit of a step too far, but hey, university students!

Just doing a Google search this is probably one of the lesser offensive costumes for 7 Legged bar crawl haha!

I wouldn't say those who find it funny are bad people as everyone has there own views and varying time periods to when things are and aren't acceptable to mock. I would be a hypocrite if I ranted about the insensitive nature of people finding it funny as I find a lot of Frankie Boyle's material funny.

I think the whole concept of 'too soon' applies here as for some (including myself) the incident is still an open wound. Where as some have moved on from the incident and accepted it. I don't think anyone should be judged for finding it funny or not funny as humour has always been a taboo subject.

Each to there own :)

The thing I found funniest about it was the fact that they said it wasn't a reference to the incident... How did they think that it wasn't a reference? Unless by 'legless' they meant blind drunk

Apparently that's exactly what they meant. It was a pun on the name of the event, "7 legs" and getting drunk, "legless".
At least, that's what they said in the Metro,