• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Merlin Annual Pass

The problem is that you are working within the narrow parameters of unsustainable never-ending growth Capitalist economic framework.

Why should Merlin's aim be to charge the maximum they can? Why shouldn't it be to deliver the best experience to all of it's guests and deliver a decent wage to it's employees at a price that allows them to continue operating at a certain level? Do away with massive corporate wages and bonuses and wasteful spending at the top. That money should be invested into the buisness or more evenly distributed between the workers. We need to replace the current corporate shareholder ownership model with a system where buisnesses are owned by their employees who democratically vote in the company's board, ensuring that the interests of poor people are put at the centre of buisness practice.

If your aim is to continually grow profit until there are physically no more resources on the planet, like a complete psychopath (or as we call them in our society, 'buisness leaders') then yes, you do have to adhere to a model that offers less to those who cannot afford to pay more. It doesn't however have to be that way. There are other economic systems that we are not allowed to even contemplate by our society, which is run by millionaires in the interest of millionaires.

Instead we should be looking towards a people centric economy, not a money centric one. We only get to live once, and I don't see why we should live significantly inferior existences to those lucky enough to be wealthy.

I do of course realise that expecting a theme park to lead the way on this is absurd, hence why my original post was written in a way thats meant to be self-satirising. Although that doesn't mean Alton Towers' excessively unfair practices cannot be legitmately criticised.

Don't tackle MP on this, you may think his views are OTT at times, that he is staunchly defensive given this is Theme Park website - all of which are true lol!!

You know what though, given we were almost sworn enemies upon first meeting on here (remember that dude haha!) I have to say, the guy is right.

He carries his principles everywhere even into theme parks, it is his life, hence it always manages to end up in most discussions on here. What is more, he opened my eyes to people I now call friends. He is a good guy and the world, and our theme parks, would be better with people like running them (for starters, he would employ people like BigAl etc to do the themes lol!!!)

So for me I say, yeah Meat is right in what he says, but whilst it is around, I would take FT/VIP pass etc, because I am slightly more passive on business in this way than he is, but as a society we should not mock those who stand to their principles - we'd all have a much better life right now in general, if someone of his moral code was running the country, particularly those in the public sectors.

So yeah, for me, VIP pass is great I'd love one and given their exclusivity, am non too fussed about those that do, but that does not make Meat wrong.

As much as I can see the link the morals of VIP passes may have, the topic is swerving towards becoming off-topic, and discussing the motivation of members definitely is.

If people want to discus the morals behind this and other paid-for perks (and it comes up often) then maybe another topic is the way to go.

Thanks

Meat Pie said:
The problem is that you are working within the narrow parameters of unsustainable never-ending growth Capitalist economic framework.

Why should Merlin's aim be to charge the maximum they can? Why shouldn't it be to deliver the best experience to all of it's guests and deliver a decent wage to it's employees at a price that allows them to continue operating at a certain level? Do away with massive corporate wages and bonuses and wasteful spending at the top. That money should be invested into the buisness or more evenly distributed between the workers. We need to replace the current corporate shareholder ownership model with a system where buisnesses are owned by their employees who democratically vote in the company's board, ensuring that the interests of poor people are put at the centre of buisness practice.

If your aim is to continually grow profit until there are physically no more resources on the planet, like a complete psychopath (or as we call them in our society, 'buisness leaders') then yes, you do have to adhere to a model that offers less to those who cannot afford to pay more. It doesn't however have to be that way. There are other economic systems that we are not allowed to even contemplate by our society, which is run by millionaires in the interest of millionaires.

Instead we should be looking towards a people centric economy, not a money centric one. We only get to live once, and I don't see why we should live significantly inferior existences to those lucky enough to be wealthy.

I do of course realise that expecting a theme park to lead the way on this is absurd, hence why my original post was written in a way thats meant to be self-satirising. Although that doesn't mean Alton Towers' excessively unfair practices cannot be legitmately criticised.

And I can't argue with any of that. I think the best summary would be to say you're an idealist, whereas I'm a pragmatist.

I think a debate on the merits of capitalism against other systems might be a tiny bit off topic(!). But I'm glad you agree that the problem (to the extent we agree it's a problem) lies in the greater scheme of capitalism rather than Merlin's actions.

By the way, I'm by no means wealthy (although I'm not badly off either). I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't go clubbing, I don't buy expensive clothes, I don't watch TV/have a TV license, and I don't care about having the latest technology. I'm not trying to suggest I'm sacrificing that much here - but I certainly couldn't afford to do all those things and have a Merlin VIP Annual Pass (or, in fact, do all those things full stop). Just thought I'd mention that in case you thought I was some billionaire who thought he was better than everyone else - I'm not and I don't ;)

Sorry for the rather controversial forum introduction anyway!!! I think I've filled my quota of "overenthusiastic newbie" for this year/century.

I'll start again: I'm Chris, and I like roller coasters...

Does anyone know if the family pass has to be 3 adults from the same family, or can it 3 friends? Nice potential saving if you do not have to be related?

Ian

I have been questioned before as I have a different surname to my gf and step daughter but a quick explanation sorts it out but not sure if it would be different if three people of similar age book with different surnames ?

Has anyone asked about the unlimited fastrack on the VIP pass ? I read it as though it will be one unlimited pass for each park rather than unlimited for the life of the pass but I could be incorrect. Apologies if this has been covered earlier in the topic

jase442 said:
Has anyone asked about the unlimited fastrack on the VIP pass ? I read it as though it will be one unlimited pass for each park rather than unlimited for the life of the pass but I could be incorrect. Apologies if this has been covered earlier in the topic
What a worrying thought. If that's the case, count me right out......

It does seem they have released all this information about a VIP pass and the changes to the current passes, but there does seem to be more questions, than answers.

I don't get why they didn't just release these VIP passes at the same time as the changes to the current ones, it would save hassle to all involved! As for not having these premium packs ready for when you buy the pass, that is just asking for trouble and more problems down the line! I bet if you went to each attraction to buy/renew a pass each place would tell you something different! Lack of communication as always.

jase442 said:
I have been questioned before as I have a different surname to my gf and step daughter but a quick explanation sorts it out but not sure if it would be different if three people of similar age book with different surnames ?

I reckon they'd probably sell zero VIP passes if the fast-track is not truly unlimited for every visit. Welcome to the forum by the way :)

IanB said:
Does anyone know if the family pass has to be 3 adults from the same family, or can it 3 friends? Nice potential saving if you do not have to be related?

Ian

No they don't have to share a surname. It can be three friends, should you wish.

I raised that possibility with the 'unlimited' Fastrack. I certainly can see it being the case!

Yeah, if 'unlimited' means just one use per ride (classed as 'unlimited' in Merlin's world) then you're well and truly being robbed of £500. I would assume it will be truly unlimited though - especially at the high cost of the pass! You never know with Merlin though.

I would guess it would be unlimited fastrack for a year, with the high cost of the pass, if they sell a 1000 passes, giving unlimited fastrack wouldn't make that much difference to Merlin or the general public, as its highly unlikely that the 1000 people would turn up at a merlin attraction on the same day to ride the same ride!

Yep. In considering the true value in purchasing a VIP pass over a Premium pass (around £370-400 more) you'd have to consider the following things that you get for the extra money:

Firstly, the not so great perk:

Global free entry - The selection of available foreign attractions is not great and also you'd have to pay a lot just to get to them in the first place. Also, you can get 50% off with a Premium pass anyway. This is of no value to 99% of people.

Now, the more positive things:

Unlimited drinks - Nice little perk and could save a few quid for a year if used wisely, but not a deal breaker.

Preferred Parking - I'm assuming that this means priority parking (next to the plaza at Alton Towers for example). This would be very handy and would also save money if you already use priority parking.

Exclusive experiences - Not sure what this is but I assume that they will explain more in the next month or so.

Behind the scenes tours - We all know what they are but will this be just the ability to purchase access to these, or will this include the entry fee to the tour also?

Unlimited Fast-track - Considering the above, this will be the deal breaker I'm sure. To make the VIP pass of real value this will have to be true unlimited fast-track on any given day and at any given Merlin park. Otherwise, I'm sure most people who were considering the VIP pass will just stick with the Premium pass and be happy to let the other few luxuries go.

It'll be interesting to see what the next round of updates reveal.

I can see it being one unlimited voucher per park, as opposed to one £5 voucher per park for premium. I just can't see them allowing use of a £90 product for potentially 180 days of the year, but I could well be wrong.

I think someone should post the question of exactly what it means on their Facebook page so we can get an answer once and for all? I'd do it myself but I don't have access to Facebook where I currently am.

Sorry to go off topic from the VIP pass discussion, but my Premium MAP arrived in the post this morning, and it said that the privilege pack will be delivered by February Half Term.

Absolutely. The global entry thing is useless. Apart from anything else, once you've spent hundreds of pounds on flights/trains/hotels/restaurants, a 100% discount instead of a 50% discount on the entry fee for a park isn't exactly going to make a difference. I don't really get the big deal about car parking either; you've signed up to a day of walking, so walking a bit further to and from the car isn't exactly a big deal.

"Unlimited" fasttrack, now I think about it, could easily mean any of:
  • Unlimited fasttrack at every attraction, every day
  • Unlimited fasttrack at every attraction, with a bunch of blackout dates reducing its usefulness
  • Unlimited fasttrack at every attraction, available once per park per year
  • Any of the above, but you have to choose one park to use it at
  • One fasttrack entry per attraction per park per day
  • One fasttrack entry per attraction per park per year

And of course we have no idea if the FastTrack privilege will be extended to the person you're with (OK, maybe we do ;)).

I can tell you now, if it's anything other than the "top" option on that list, I'm right out.

Maybe we should invent a 'dream' VIP pass?

• Unlimited exit fastpass + pick any seat (including the front without queueing for the front)
  • Ability to stay on rides and go around again
  • Extra Early Ride Time
  • Unlimited, free drinks, food and alcohol
  • Unlimited, free digital ride photos
  • Exclusive newsletter of updates about the park before general release
  • Prime seating at all events, fireworks etc
  • Front row seating at all events, fireworks etc

Price...?

Tom said:
I think someone should post the question of exactly what it means on their Facebook page so we can get an answer once and for all? I'd do it myself but I don't have access to Facebook where I currently am.

Done.