• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Merlin Annual Pass

People are also making a rather large assumption that 'unlimited' means unlimited in Merlin's dictionary of terms. I can see it being 'one unlimited fastrack voucher per park excluding Legoland' quite easily!

I think this might fall fairly flat on its face, we'll never know the exact number of signups (unless it sells out I guess). The exclusion of unlimited food seems to me that they are still trying to scrimp and save, as opposed to trying to make something really unique and actually making people feel like royalty.

IanB said:
It's a £5 voucher, cheapest FastTrack at towers is £6, so you need to pay £1 to use it.
One shots started from £3 this year for rides like mine train, £4 for rides like sub terra and £5 for nemesis etc.

Even if they increased prices a quid you could still get a free fastrack next year.

thefatone said:
IanB said:
It's a £5 voucher, cheapest FastTrack at towers is £6, so you need to pay £1 to use it.
One shots started from £3 this year for rides like mine train, £4 for rides like sub terra and £5 for nemesis etc.

Even if they increased prices a quid you could still get a free fastrack next year.

That's better, just a shame these prices are not online to view. The T&Cs will be interesting to read on the vouchers :)

Ian

to me it looks like a good deal and I don't think I am going to be the only person on this site that will get one (hopefully) and tom don't give them ideas to screw us on the details this a uk company we are talking about

Even I think they got this about right. 500 quid for unlimited entry, close parking, ultimate fast tracks, unlimited food on top? That would have to take the price up to keep it exclusive enough to not annoy everyone else, and keep it remotely affordable in a tough climate.

I really do believe they pitched this spot on. Business wise this makes absolute sense.

djtruefitt said:
Now if it also included unlimited alcohol then I might be interested :p
I think several people on here may be interested if that were the case, Mike. I certainly would be! :p

Just purchased mine using Quidco, so hopefully get 10% back. Only problem is I have to pick it up from a Sealife Centre, so hopefully get that done at the weekend :)

Ian

global.png

Global? :-D

Don't forget the Europe parks. They aren't included in the UK one are they? That does add some value to be fair unless I am mistaken, in which case, as you were ;D

TheMan said:
Don't forget the Europe parks. They aren't included in the UK one are they? That does add some value to be fair unless I am mistaken, in which case, as you were ;D

Yeah, I suppose Heide and Gardaland are both solid additions. The term "global" does suggest equal content further afield though, which I was highlighting is thin on the ground at the moment.

Last year if I recall correctly you got 50% off admission to Heide Park with a valid UK MAP. Be interested to know if that's staying or not with the introduction of the Global VIP pass...

I've got to admit that I'm seriously tempted by the VIP pass. My first thought was "FIVE HUNDRED POUNDS?!?!!" But I have no ability to visit parks outside weekends due to my work, and Thorpe and Chessington are a five minute deviation from a drive I do every weekend.

So breaking down the cost:

£119 - renewal of existing benefits of premium MAP (which I undoubtedly use)
£60 - 3 visits to foreign Merlin attractions, difference between MAP existijg 50% disc. and what is left to pay
£20 - unlimited drinks (I don't drink that much at parks to be honest... but I might get 10 or so over the course of a year... All adds up)
£30 - the value "to me" of having premium parking all year (on top of the included parking).

Sadly I suspect the backstage tours won't work for me, as they will want to arrange them for quiet weekdays that I can't make... So i wrote that off entirely as a benefit.

So thinking about it logically, that leaves £271 of "value" that needs to be soaked up by all-you-can-eat Fasttrack. And I wholeheartedly agree that if are self employed or have generous holiday entitlements (or the moral flexibility to take sickies ;-)), you can go mid week, have a nicer time anyway due to the place being less busy generally, and the numbers don't stack up.

But for me, I would definitely buy at least a £30 Fasttrack package every visit. So that's just on the line, having repaid for itself after 9 visits. Only "breaking even". But then you consider the other perks... Not having to queue at the park to buy Fasttrack (a miserable experience at Thorpe), not having to take the rides you don't want to do in the Fasttrack packages they sell you, and being able to do the ones you do want repeatedly, and also not having to worry about getting up early for ERT (my route takes me part thorpe at around 13:00, when it's already pretty busy...)

All this makes me think I'll probably (probably) go for it - depending on what the options are for upgrading my normal pass (which I only just bought) and whether there is a renewal discount (which would, of course, push it we'll into the "makes sense financially" zone).

The vast majority of Merlin attractions are Sea Life and Dungeons. Surely, no matter which part of the country/world you're in, there's only so much they can do to make it different, and it's all much of muchness anyway.

I was assuming a trip to Heide Park and Gardaland, maybe a couple of days each. They're both on my list to explore.

cdd89 said:
I've got to admit that I'm seriously tempted by the VIP pass. My first thought was "FIVE HUNDRED POUNDS?!?!!" But I have no ability to visit parks outside weekends due to my work, and Thorpe and Chessington are a five minute deviation from a drive I do every weekend.

Go for it mate ;D - I'd have it in my back pocket as a back up if I had the funds available, no question!

Whilst you are at it, add in the fast track costs for the mazes, if they are included too (need to find that out I guess) that is at least another 40/50 quid saving.

It really does add up quite nicely if you spend that cash anyway.

I suppose if you pay for all the things on the VIP pass, and go to parks 5/6 times a year, then it'd be worth getting one.

If you don't buy platinum fast tracks, and take your own food and drink etc, then there's no point, because as someone said before, you're paying a lot more, for things you've coped without before.

Ian said:
Last year if I recall correctly you got 50% off admission to Heide Park with a valid UK MAP. Be interested to know if that's staying or not with the introduction of the Global VIP pass...

You still get that with standard and premium passes, I have read it somewhere on the new site.