• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Merlin Annual Pass

Not heard anything yet, I bought a premium pass in the sale and put my name on the VIP notification list but I've heard nothing yet. I think it will be March before there's any details.

Information regarding the drink capsules for 2014 has been published on the website:

We’ve just made some magical improvements to the Merlin Annual Pass drinks capsule. You can now buy this this year’s Merlin Annual Pass drinks capsule for just £1.99 from Chessington World of Adventures Resort, LEGOLAND® Windsor Resort, THORPE PARK and Alton Towers Resort. And once you have it, you can refill it as much as you like for just 75p per refill.

Why on earth have we done this?

Glad you asked (no, seriously). Three amazingly good reasons, actually. First, we wanted to make sure that Passholders and Members get the best possible value from the drinks capsule. So first we did some customer research. This told us how frequently the average capsule is refilled each year. Then our boffin wizards crunched some numbers and did some other clever things and the result is this new capsule, which based on this research will give you better value over the year.

Second, following the customer research we’ve also made the capsules a little smaller to make sure your drinks stay fresher and fizzier for longer. And for those of you who brought up fizzy vs non-fizzy drinks – read on.
Third, we wanted to stick it to the wasps, pure and simple. In previous years we’ve had a problem with drinks being thrown away and in warm weather this causes a problem with wasps which, we are committed to beating. On the new Merlin Annual Pass quenchers you’ll now notice an ‘anti-wasp’ message, asking you not to pour unwanted drink onto the ground. Instead, we’ll happily empty it and rinse it for you between refills. Clean capsules, fewer wasps, what’s not to like?

Can you only use it for fizzy drinks?

Funny you should mention that. Some customers told us that not all of you want to drink fizzy drinks. So as part of these magical improvements, we’ve added a non-fizzy-soft-drink option when you refill your quencher. You’ll be able to find these unfizzy refills at designated refill stations throughout all of our UK theme parks.

Is this magically brilliant new capsule available only to Merlin Annual Passholders, or can Merlin Members get them too?

Delighted you love it so much already! Both Merlin Annual Passholders and Merlin Members can buy this, as you call it, ‘magically brilliant new capsule’.

We have helped a number of leading companies generate new business, drive sales and improve customer and employee loyalty (we could tell you who but us wizards - we're big on secrets). So whatever your precise needs, we're confident that the Merlin Annual Pass (with all its associated sorcery and spells) is the answer.

Why do you think this is better for Passholders & Members?

We’re always trying to improve your experience as Passholders and Merlin Members. These improvements have been prompted by customers telling us how they use their capsules, and asking us to make particular improvements. As a result, these changes should give you better value over the course of the year; and keep fizzy drinks fizzy for longer; and let you choose non-fizzy refills; and involve magic (which is nice); AND disappoint wasps (which is nicer still).

Finally, we really want you to have a brilliant time as Merlin Annual Passholders and Members. Remember, theme park season is just around the corner (honest) and we hope that you find yourself sharing some amazing experiences with your family and friends so that this year becomes not just exceptional, or merely memorable, but extraordinary. Spellbinding, even.

Small Print
  • Capsules are valid until 31st December 2014.
  • Lost or damaged capsules cannot be replaced
  • You must show a valid Merlin Annual Pass or Merlin Membership Card to purchase the 75p refill
  • The Merlin Annual Pass & Membership Capsule price (£1.99) and refill price (75p) are subject to change without warning.
  • Capsules and refills are subject to availability
  • Any Passholders with 2013 Merlin Annual Pass capsules linked to their current pass expiry will continue to receive free refills until their pass expires.

Hmm, I did hear a rumor before that something like this would be happening, it's certainly not as good value as £16 per year for as many drinks as you want, but I suppose 75p per drink is still a lot cheaper than what you pay on park for drinks, a bottle of coke was about £2 at towers last season.

Will be interesting to see how they do this at the outlets where you help yourself, where I have never been asked to show my annual pass or anything.

Also I wonder what the none fizzy drink options will be?

Alcohol hopefully. Probably water, orange juice etc?

It's a lot better than paying around £16 and hardly using it I suppose [something I'd have done last season had I bought one]. This seems a lot more appealing up front and it'll be interesting to see how this scheme pans out.

3686629493_3e2c467c0b_z.jpg

Please may I have another serving of tap water Mr Varney?

Don't think this is too bad an idea to be honest. It is hard to spend £16 up front, and I think they'll have calculated that ultimately they'll make more money doing it this way. I'd much rather spend 75p per refill and maybe eventually spend more than £16 over the course of a season than spend it all at once.

I suppose spreading the cost like that is a good idea, but....this is nothing more than Merlin trying to maximise profits rather than caring about the customer. I can't even say there's a chance that's not the case.

Also, it'll be interesting to see what the non-fizzy options are, although I won't be surprised if it's tap water.

So let me get this straight: People who buy a one day refill get them free. But the MAP one will cost you 75p a cup?

^ they might be making similar changes to the daily ones too for all we know.

The big question is how much smaller will they be compared to last year? They probably wouldn't have mentioned that if it wasn't going to be immediately obvious.

You can probably still get value compared with buying full-priced drinks over a year, but given that several meals are pretty much the same price with or without a drink (or in the case of pizza&pasta, exactly the same price) the opportunities to save are fairly limited.

Depending on the size, I might still get one. If it's any less than about 500ml then I definitely won't be though.

Something else:

Second, following the customer research we’ve also made the capsules a little smaller to make sure your drinks stay fresher and fizzier for longer

Yep, smaller bottles AND having to pay for refills. Just what all the customers have been clamouring for.

I actually thought last year's capsule was the perfect size (albeit not the perfect shape). I'll admit I'm concerned to see how much they have shrunk the bottle.

djtruefitt said:
Will be interesting to see how they do this at the outlets where you help yourself, where I have never been asked to show my annual pass or anything.

I can't help but feel these places will no longer provide refills.

Nope, not buying one this year now...

Smaller capsules, pay per refill? Laughable decision from Merlin here... The feedback on Facebook says it all really, as the value for money has dropped considerably compared to the £16 for the lifetime of pass that was available last year...

Money grabbing decision with some badly veiled explanation tripe... Awful...

I suppose a year can't go by without a regression in the pass. And the doublespeak is pretty laughable - for the majority of passholders I reckon it's far from being better value.

But my goodness, since when did they let their writing style go?

Then our boffin wizards crunched some numbers and did some other clever things

::)

...so that this year becomes not just exceptional, or merely memorable, but extraordinary. Spellbinding, even.

:/

Is this magically brilliant new capsule available only to Merlin Annual Passholders, or can Merlin Members get them too?
Delighted you love it so much already! Both Merlin Annual Passholders and Merlin Members can buy this, as you call it, ‘magically brilliant new capsule’.

Urrrggghhh.

I don't think there is any doubt this is profit related rather than guest satisfaction but that's fine if they want to do that then it's their product and people can choose to buy it or not.

What winds me up is how they try and present it to people as an improvement in such a condescending manner, it's in a similar vane to a parent trying to persuade a five year old that they really want to eat their broccoli!

People are not stupid and don't appreciate been treated as such.

Yeah, the new language needs re-thinking. 'Spellbinding' makes me wince and the general grammar of Merlin communiques seems to have descended into primary school style.

Nothing will change untill people stop handing over their money. I've given up my MAP and have no intention of visiting a M£rlin attraction untill they sort their act out. Who's with me?

I've never bothered with the refillable bottle anyway. Didn't use need it before it was added as a pass holder perk and still don't see any need for one. If 500ml bottles are 2 for £2.50 then 20% off that's £1 each so would need to go 16 times to get money back in old capsule. If I go pizza buffet anyway I get a drink included and I like slushies when it's hot.

Also adding non-fizzy drinks might not be healthier, orange juice and squash are still full of sugar. I woulda rather they added options like Sprite zero or Oasis like McDonalds have.

This is one of the worst written press releases I've ever seen from a corporation.

I'm only interested in this if the 'non-fizzy' options are any good. If we're talking hot drinks or orange juice for 75p, I'm in. If not, pass.

Sam said:
This is one of the worst written press releases I've ever seen from a corporation.

But it's ohh so wizard, can't you just feel the magic reaching into your wallet and taking your money... It's a happy smiley thing and nothing can ever make you feel bad ever because frowny faces are not part of the sugary fun!

I swear they would try and sell a kick in the balls as a great pleasure.