• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Merlin Annual Pass

A further statement made on Facebook:

Merlin Annual Pass drinks capsules 2014

We’ve been closely following the comments posted over the weekend concerning our new drinks capsule pricing; and while we understand the frustration this has caused some Pass Holders, we would like to take this opportunity to clarify the situation.

The Merlin Annual Pass, as I know our Pass holders agree, represents fantastic value, offering multiple entry to all of our 31 UK attractions. Indeed, if used regularly, as most of our Pass holders do, within 2/3 visits you will have recouped your investment and then enjoy massive savings on days out with us throughout the year. More than that we are always looking to find ways in which we can make those days out even better. We do this by coming up with a range of fantastic additional benefits, offers and events. However , as is very clear in the terms and conditions of the Pass when your purchase, these benefits may be subject to change at any time.

In this particular case, first this change applies only to the purchase of new drinks capsules. It is also a decision we have made primarily for practical reasons, both to minimise waste and in response to visitor complaints relating to mess around our attraction food outlets and its potential to attract wasps and other insects, particularly on warm days. However, when looking at making a change our objective was always to continue to provide excellent value, and at £1.99 a capsule, then 75p per refill, we remain confident that the majority of our visitors will still feel that is the case.

They aren't exactly succeeding in digging themselves out of this hole. The comments on the post speak for themselves. Nobody has been fooled.

Thats the funniest response Ive seen in ages...

We've read your comments. We don't care. Its in our Terms and Conditions. Suck it.

I can't help but wonder if one of Merlins PR bods will be having yet another trip to the Watchdog studios, they must have their own dressing room by now.

What they actually meant...

Merlin Annual Pass drinks capsules 2014

We’ve been briefly overlooking the comments posted over the weekend concerning our new drinks capsule pricing; and while we couldn't care less about the frustration this has caused all of our Pass Holders, we would like to take this opportunity to try and deceive you all (again).

The Merlin Annual Pass, as I know some of our Pass holders agree, represents fantastic value, offering multiple entry to all of our 31 UK attractions - but then where else are you going to go. Indeed, if used regularly, as most of our Pass holders do, within 2/3 visits you will have recouped your investment and then enjoy some savings on days out with us throughout the year. More than that we are always looking to find ways in which we can take more money off you on those days out. We do this by coming up with a range of 5 minute thought-up additional wallet grabbing techniques, offers that aren't offers at all and maybe one or two events a year. However, as is very clear in the terms and conditions of the Pass when your purchase, these cons are subject to change at any time if we're hungry for more £££s.

In this particular case, first this change applies only to the purchase of new drinks capsules, although yes, your ones from last year are invalid now. It is also a decision we have made primarily for profiteering reasons, both to make no difference to waste and in response to non-existent visitor complaints relating to mess around our attraction food outlets and its potential to attract wasps and other insects because we actually fixed these issues 3 years ago. However, when looking at making a change our objective was always to continue to provide no worthy value, and at £1.99 a capsule, then 75p per refill, we remain confident that the majority of our visitors will still feel they are being robbed in broad daylight.

When I read this third release it just came across that they're really frustrated and don't seem to care at all. They're digging a nice hole for themselves. At least when Towers made somewhat stupid decisions they listened to customer feedback and made changes.

:)

It wouldn't be the first time that Merlin have come out of the professional identity they should be upholding on social media to vaguely attack someone. It's been done numerous times in the comments and I really am praying for a full blown Merlin rant in the form of a public status soon.

I love the way all the stupid wizardly talk stops and the condescending first-person lingo comes in.

My favourite Facebook replies include:

Merlin Annual Pass Facebook said:
Alton Towers unfortunately do not have any plans for a Preview Event this year! but fingers crossed lets hope they do.
Here's hoping! ;)

Did you speak to an experienced wizard and book your passes?

Hi Andy the goblins have got to our quote section which we are fixing currently.

Oh no! We think it's the goblins that may have got to it! They are a nuisance those goblins!

It seems Merlin keep changing their mind on the reasons behind the changes to the drinks capsule.

So it was announced as a great new offer.

Then after the backlash it was said to have been spurred by feedback from pass holders

Today they are saying that, practicalities, waste and guest complaints are the cause.

Ahh Merlin you silly silly thing :)

It's been presented in three different ways because they don't want to say the real reasons for the change; it creates more revenue for them. At least if they came out and said that first time around they'd be showing honesty and transparency. Yes the other reasons they've stated may have played a part but the bottom line is that this will generate them more revenue.

:)

Tom.B said:
So how much is a regular 1 day drinks capsule?

£5 - I, for one will be using these rather than purchasing a MAP one.

For 3 of us this £5 is much better value than all having several drinks @75p, excluding the upfront cost.

We would only need to have more than 2 refills each to take us over the 'value' threshold.

Perhaps they should have kept Subs, it would have paid for itself to be fixed with all the additional loose change in circulation.

Well I just received this...

YF2V52x.png

Blaming the atrocious wasp problem on the drinks capsules is absurd.

I know that there are limits to what can be done and to how effective these methods are, but wasp traps (especially in and near eateries) and basic regular emptying of bins (and making sure the lids work properly) and staff litter picking should come first. If they are going to do ANYTHING drinks-wise they need to make sure they only sell drinks with resealable caps (ie no cans or juice boxes).

As someone who requires medical treatment if stung (not an uncommon condition) the wasp issue is a real problem for me, and using it as an excuse for this drinks rip-off really makes me cross.

Laura said:
Blaming the atrocious wasp problem on the drinks capsules is absurd.

I know that there are limits to what can be done and to how effective these methods are, but wasp traps (especially in and near eateries) and basic regular emptying of bins (and making sure the lids work properly) and staff litter picking should come first. If they are going to do ANYTHING drinks-wise they need to make sure they only sell drinks with resealable caps (ie no cans or juice boxes).

As someone who requires medical treatment if stung (not an uncommon condition) the wasp issue is a real problem for me, and using it as an excuse for this drinks rip-off really makes me cross.

The drinks capsules (annual pass and day guest) have resealable lids but that doesn't stop people emptying Coke all over the grass!