• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Merlin "Breakdown Roulette"

D4n

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Zadra
Having visited three of the major Merlin parks already this season, and spent four days at Towers so far this term, I have began to notice a rather bizarre pattern across all three of the parks.

1) At least two major attractions (seemingly random) will open late. Almost without fail. At Thorpe this tends to be Nemesis Inferno and Saw (although other combinations are possible), at Towers it is normally some combination of rides in Forbidden Valley and Dark Forest. At Chessington it sadly seems it is not unusual for virtually every major attraction to open late. This seems to be the easier one to explain, clearly there isn't enough time for maintenance to sign off on all the rides every morning before the park opens. Not ideal but easy to explain away.

2) (Almost) invariably during the day one attraction will be "broken down". In fairness these breakdowns are normally sorted fairly quickly, and though this is more often one of the larger attractions I've seen Blade, Temple of Mayhem, Timber Tug Boat etc all "broken down" briefly during the day. Moreover, there seems to be a direct correlation between the closed ride re-opening and the metaphorical roulette wheel being spun again and another ride going down. Again, in fairness it seems incredibly rare for multiple rides to be experiencing downtime simultaneously (impressively, even at Thorpe) this season, but there is almost always one closure at all times. So is this pure coincidence, or a new policy of ride inspections being carried out throughout the day perhaps?

I'm genuinely confused by this, and would have chalked it off as coincidence after a couple of days but it has invariably been the case across numerous visits to Merlin attractions this season.

I'm honestly surprised Merlin haven't started intentionally opening and closing rides on rotation to save on staffing costs.
... Or have they...?

Had to suffer that when I went to Galaxyland at West Edmonton Mall. Not good.

I'm honestly surprised Merlin haven't started intentionally opening and closing rides on rotation to save on staffing costs.
... Or have they...?

Had to suffer that when I went to Galaxyland at West Edmonton Mall. Not good.

Oakwood do this to, but that park is located in the middle of nowhere and gets a lot lower amount of guests.

Thorpe and Chessie however are located near one of the biggest cities in the world...