• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Merlin & IP licenses

jon81uk

TS Member
This morning I saw an advert for Marvel Avengers characters at Madame Tussauds and that got me thinking about the wide range of licenses/partnerships that Merlin/Tussauds have

Madame Tussauds
Disney - Marvel Avengers, Star Wars, they have also had Tinkerbell & High School Musical waxworks in the past.
Dreamworks - Shrek waxwork

Sea-Life
Octonauts

Chessington
Dreamworks - Madagascar
Yoohoo & Friends - more of a sponsorship really

Thorpe Park
Lionsgate - Saw, My Bloody Valentine, Blair Witch and all the other horror stuff
ITV Studios - I'm a Celebrity, Brainiac
Ministry of Sound

Alton Towers
BBC Worldwide - CBeebies
Roald Dahl Estate - Charlie & Choc Factory
Sega - Sonic the Hedgehog
Blue Sky Studios / 20th Century Fox - Ice Age

Warwick Castle
BBC Worldwide (& Freemantle) - Merlin
Scholastic books / Terry Deary - Horrible Histories
Hit Entertainment - Mike the Knight

Shrek's Adventure
Dreamworks - Shrek & other characters

I'm counting Legoland separately as of course the whole park is on a special license from Lego.

It just seems like a very eclectic mix. Although Merlin seem to have a good relationship with Dreamworks, it is surprising how much Madame Tussauds is linked to Disney owned brands.
Also Alton Towers are with BBC Worldwide and Thorpe with Lionsgate and ITV Studios, to me this shows how much negotiation is done solely by each park/attraction management, as each attraction has a very different partner, it isn't just like Merlin have placed Dreamworks properties in all parks/attractions.