• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Merlin recognised as one of Britain's most admired companies

Tim

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Air / Blue Fire
Management Today have created a list of Britain's most admired companies and placed Merlin Entrainment as third for the leisure industry (64 overall):

http://www.managementtoday.co.uk/news/1162168

I found out about this last week but only just run into this artical which goes into a bit more detail:

http://www.blooloop.com/PressReleases/Merlin-Entertainments-Among-Britain-s-Most-Admired-Companies-/3726
I'm not quite sure how to respond to some of the points, this one in particular caught my eye:
- Use of Corporate Assets - Merlin has a reputation for very sound and tight financial management, and for not only creating quality attractions at a fraction of the cost of its competitors; but also continuously investing in them to offer and improve the experience for their visitors
I suppose that's one way of putting it :p

Seriously? Continuous investment?! PAH! :p

Although, to give them some credit, substantial improvements were made to Sub-Terra back in May.

Jonathan said:
Seriously? Continuous investment?! PAH! :p

Although, to give them some credit, substantial improvements were made to Sub-Terra back in May.

So you're saying if they make something turd then at least they have the brains to put it right? :p :p

Who's been seeing continuous investment I've only been seeing cuts

I know we all love to slam Merlin, but to be fair they aren't as bad as we do sometimes make out. They are an ambitious company and that can only be seen as a good thing. And they do continually invest in their attractions, there is something new every year at the likes of Towers and Thorpe (2011 was an unfortunate exception for Towers). Investment in their attractions for new rides etc is something Merlin do very well in my eyes, it is one of their strong points.

Of course they're not perfect and I think they still have a fair amount to learn when it comes to operations of a theme park. But I can see why they have ranked so highly in this list.

:)

Tbh across the whole of Merlin they've bought, renovated and opened loads of new midway attractions all over the world over the past few years, not to mention substantial new coasters at Gardaland, Heide Park, Thorpe Park, and SW6 and SW7 at Towers. Plus they've opened 2 brand new Legolands in Florida and Malaysia. So yeah, I'd say they have made quite a bit of investment. :p

I don't really get this, given that the majority of the public have no idea who Merlin are.

Tussauds were a reasonably well-known brand, but Merlin is very poorly known. There's a high awareness of their attraction brands (London Eye and Towers must be very near 100%) but the company isn't widely known outside enthusiast circles.

Maybe they should change the park's names to 'Merlin's Alton Towers Resort' etc...? :p

I tend to agree with Rob. Besides the one line I quoted (which made me chuckle at how they had managed to make cost cutting sound like a positive thing) their other claims are fairly solid. That's why when I read the original article I didn't bother posting it as it sounded fairly plausible.

In fact in any other industry I'd say Merlin would come off fairly good, it's just that for a leisure company their corporate nature goes against the feel of escapism that their products are trying to deliver on.

merlin invest a lot into their parks, if rumours about 2014 are correct (which i have no idea if they are) then over 3 years Merlin will have spent 30 million at Alton Towers.

They just don't maintain old rides very well.

Dave said:
They just don't maintain old rides very well.
I think that's the main issue I was trying to get across in my original post, albeit not very well. Yes, Merlin are good at making new investments, but it's maintaining old investments from previous owners which is the problem. Just look at Oblivion!

Think that is probably the biggest issue with Merlin is the lack of fixing the broken things... But this has been happening since DIC came in, so it's been a long lying malaise in the parks rather than just Merlin (although it would've been nice if they had made an effort to improve the looks of the parks)...

Would love it if they just refurbed all the parks one winter... They won't though... A shame, because a freshly painted park would do wonders for each one... Especially Chessie and Towers...

This was not judged by the public, this was judged by their peers.

By people who will largely not have a clue what makes a great theme park for that matter, it's not like judging hotels against hotels, bars against bars, even airlines etc. They are all founded and run on very basic common sense principles - theme parks however, are not!

If you take basic value for buck they get from their attractions, and whats more, their absurd and ludicrous price hikes and in park hyper marketing pester power overload, will only be seen in bottom line terms by these individuals.

Everything that a theme park should stand for, the antithesis is credited in that article such as: Creating rides on the cheap, done by bulk buying attractions, and ramping stealth prices up everywhere.

Merlin do deserve corporate/business/financial credit - that is without question, hence in a way, being "admired" by their business peers is really no surprise. It's altogether a bit easier when you have champagne quaffing vulture (I am not against Venture Capitalism incidentally, like Business Angels etc, that help genuinely innovate and develop tech/biz) capitalists backing you, as it gives you the scope to buy bigger cheaper - much like a supermarket....

You won't find your local corner shop, or independent food market lapping up any global/national industry awards either - that doesn't mean their ethos, quality, and respective value is less. Merlin have a high presence in the hospitality sector, much like Tesco does in selling.

Merlin are rolling out a certain "style" across their entire chain - creating parks that are becoming less and less unique, all filled full of up-selling/marketing hype and nonsense VAT lessons that we all already know. They've lost the core meaning of a Theme Park, and are churning out the same stuff across the board.

Now, things like Swarm (and SW7) I applaud, but that's down to other peoples creativity, and of course Merlin investment - I do genuinely applaud that, it is a triumph of theme and ride. However, the way the parks "feel" is getting worse, as is the service, as is the cost and quality of the day in general.

That is something Mr Bottom Line Hospitality Sector will not understand.

Benzin said:
Would love it if they just refurbed all the parks one winter... They won't though... A shame, because a freshly painted park would do wonders for each one... Especially Chessie and Towers...

If they were a bit more sensible with the ride input rate (Low, Medium, Low, High cycle) they can make a claim of £X Million spent on the park and market newly refreshed areas.......But no they won't do that

(BTW Love the username if it is from what I think it is from)

At the end of the day the only thing Merlin are interested in is getting more visitors, and unfortunately nicely maintained rides don't attract the GP but brand new attractions do. They are a business, not a charity, so they want to go in the most logical direction to get their visitor numbers up.

So the whole park could fall apart completely but the odd new coaster every so often will make people keep coming back? :eek:

If that's the case, I expect Alton to look like Walygator in maybe five or six years time! :p

What next... The Nobel Piece Prize nominations for George Bush and Tony Blair? Oh wait... ;)

This really is ludicrous.

The lack of funding for maintenance should have been enough to tear down their credibility for the 'Quality Of Goods' category. Further to that, even when most of the Merlin lead UK ride projects are new, the level of detail and quality really isn't up to the scratch of their European counterparts or even projects built by 90s Tussauds. It's not good enough, and this is really rather outrageous false praise to have received, but then again this 'award' looks like a big self congratulatory pat on the back by the Leisure industry, so it was never really going to be reflective of the truth.

As for the other categories of 'Quality of Management' and 'Use of Corporate Assets', the criteria for judgement is completely wrong. Just because you scrape savings by downgrading the quality of your product, doesn't make you are a good or admirable business. Merlin are lucky in this country in that they are a big fish in a very small pond. They could do almost anything in the UK and still make a profit because there is no competition.

Merlin has a market monopoly. There's no real achievement in their success. They don't deserve an award.

BigAl said:
So the whole park could fall apart completely but the odd new coaster every so often will make people keep coming back? :eek:

If that's the case, I expect Alton to look like Walygator in maybe five or six years time! :p

Well not quite that bad obviously! :p My point was that they could spend enough of the budget to keep things ticking over in the parks, whilst investing heavily in new attractions as that is what will draw in the visitors.