• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

MINI MEET: Oakwood and Cardiff, 31st August-1st September 2013

That should be fine. I would probably think about travelling down on the Friday eve, possibly stopping at
one of the Cardiff TL's, but is still some distance fro Oakwood, which are around £35-£40 ish atm.

Though Llanelli is closer to Oakwood and much cheaper, as is Swansea, they still leave the option of going to Cardiff or Barry Island for the Sunday, being about an hours drive away. Travelling from cardiff to Oakwood and back is still a 4 hour round trip, so stopping somewhere in between would be much more ideal. :)

Swansea is a nice place. I rate that over Llanelli any day. Plus Swansea has a beach! :)

I felt like I was moments from being stabbed when I last went to Swansea!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Depends what parts you go to really. I haven't been there for a year. But I distinctly remember there being one half of Swansea you avoid like the plague, and the other half being pretty nice.

Although in all honesty, the whole of South Wales is like that. With Swansea being a city too, you're bound to have some nasty parts. :p

Having lived in Cardiff most my life it is a FANTASTIC city with a fantastic nightlife. if you want to ask me for opinions on where to stay then fire away.

Only thing I would say is that Barry Island really IS NOT worth the effort. Its an absolute dump, its not worth the effort to go there and see it. Its just a few travelling rides now and thats it. I popped in there two weeks ago and its nearly derelict.

My advice instead would be to spend the day down Cardiff Bay and go visit the Dr Who studios, or do a boat tour around the bay. Depending on budget etc and what you want there are some decent hotels in cardiff, but you need to be careful with regards parking etc.

The Holiday Inn A48M is not bad, its out of town, but has its own car park and is on the bus route into the city centre (every 15 mins). Its also right next to the M4 for easy access to oakwood. Next to it is the Park Inn.

There is a decent new Premier Inn down Cardiff Bay which is about 20 mins walk into the city centre, and not too far from the M4, and also a very cheap Etap hotel in the Bay which I believe is very cheap.

There is also a nice IBIS hotel on the outskirts, at Cardiff Gate, you will need to drive into the city centre, or get a taxi £14 each way, but its cheap in terms of the room price and it has a car park. Also, on the one side is the M4, on the other is the A48M taking you straight into the city centre, and easy to find.

Any more questions just ask...

Thought I might post about this going on in Cardiff the same weekend for anyone geeky like me in the 'mainstream' way ;) The guestlist is well worth a look, especially if you enjoy Star Wars or Red Dwarf at all and at only £10 early entry (£5 after 11am) it's not that pricey.
http://www.cardiffcomiccon.com/

Very tempted on going as Oakwood is on my list (especially if Comic-Con is included), though I believe transport there will be my ultimate downfall :/

Oh god! I'm going have to drive again.

Boooooo Vik!

I'd like to go as I've never been to Oakwood and I'm also quite eager to visit Folly Farm again (haven't been since I was little) for their big vintage fairground and zoo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLrygTo0bso#

Wonderful little place that seems to have come on leaps and bounds since my visits in the 90s. Pity it's so damn far away. Tickets are only £8.78 online, soooo....! :p

:)

I'm off work on the Sat/Sun so would be interested in meeting you either in Cardiff/Brean. Possible even Oakwood but we'll see. :)

I'm not sure.

I drove this in 2011 and frankly don't want to again.

I'll think about it.

What if we drove a significant portion of the journey on Friday evening and stopped over somewhere?

Just a quickie - not sure if you have booked hotels yet but Cardiff hotels on Laterooms are quite cheap at the moment. The First hotel in Cardiff bay is cheap - £69 for a large room, while the Radission Blu in the city centre is just £59 per room. (Parking £15 per night).

Sorry for being hideously late but I'm definitely up for this! Anyone driving from around Sheffield way?

Good excuse to use up Clubcard vouchers on the Oakwood ticket! :p

Sam, I am a Massive Maybe, but I might drive, but would not aim to arrive until 2pm on the day, due to the park opening late, and would then be heading home around midday.

Ian

I keep forgetting about this!

Unless someone has car space there's no chance of me making it though :/