• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Miniatur Wunderland

Tim

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Air / Blue Fire
I noticed Miniatur Wunderland doesn't have a thread yet, and given the incredible new area they've just opened I think this is an attraction worth discussing.

For those of you that don't know Miniatur Wunderland is one of the most impressive model villages anywhere in the world. Even if you havn't been there you might have virtually been there, as they partnered with Yullbe a few years ago and produced a VR experience at Europa Park.

The attraction is in Hamburg (literally above the Hamburg Dungeons). It's best known for having over 1,000 model trains, a functional miniature airport and now this incredible recreation of Monoco with an actual working (randomised) racetrack:

It's an attraction which I've been lucky enough to visit multiple times in the last year. Definitely worth checking out if you are in the area.

I can only echo the above. I went for the first time in February and was completely blown away by the scale and detail of everything. If you are in Hamburg, this is a must!

The new Monaco area looks hugely impressive as well.

I’m a big fan of Miniature Wonderland and all the kinetic tech. I’d really recommend a behind the scenes tour to learn more about how it all works. You also get to see all the funny scenes that aren’t visible to the general public.

If it’s your first time too try and find the miniature chocolate factory that gives out free chocolate, and also the mini Miniature Wonderland in the Hamburg area. The other popular thing to spot is the bee or UFO landing at the airport

It's on a list of places I'd love to visit. I've never heard a bad word against it.

The Monaco addition looks incredible. I can't even begin to work out how that physically works, or how it's programmed. If it performs as advertised day in, day out, well that's pure magic.

Miniature Wunderland is incredible, I also went in February with @Rob and @Craig and was completely mind blown. It just goes on and on with so many detail to look at. We were there for about 3 hours in the end, but you could realistically spend the whole day there if your feet can hack it! All the interaction with the regularly distributed buttons is great and you can really tell that it’s such a passion project for all involved. Can’t recommend a visit enough, although make sure to book well in advance as it does sell out!

The miniature Miniatur Wunderland was added at the end of last year. I couldn't belive that even the miniature, minature Airport was animated!
It's on a list of places I'd love to visit. I've never heard a bad word against it.

The Monaco addition looks incredible. I can't even begin to work out how that physically works, or how it's programmed. If it performs as advertised day in, day out, well that's pure magic.
I actually got a sneak peak at Monaco last summer before the road surface was added. The entire racecourse is made up of 1000's of small electro magnets. Essentially they are moving the cars in the same way a coaster launches, what is incredible is how they've achieved such precision.

The funny thing is they gave me the tour in the full knowledge that I work for one of their competitors. I guess they were just that confident that no one could copy what they've achieved!

As both a trains and model trains nut and a fan of most things technical, Miniatur Wunderland is obviously right up my street. Even if you're not so interested in the extraordinary level of detail applied to pretty well everything (and while I can appreciate it that's me to some extent), the sheer scale of the scenes and the opportunity to see good length trains running in superbly modelled landscapes is fantastic in itself.

I wouldn't call it a negative point per se, but I do feel like the newer Brazil and Patagonia scenes are less relatable than the older European ones, although perhaps that's just a consequence of my limited travels so far. Also, Brazil in particular is noticeably much more focused on the buildings than railway. That's fine - it's Miniatur Wunderland, not Miniatur Bahnwelt, so it doesn't have to be all about the trains even if that's how it started. By now they've no doubt got a good idea of what visitors want, and I imagine a variety of different scenes helps with that. From a personal perspective however it's certainly not as interesting to me, so it'll be interesting to see what future scenes are added and what forms they take.

I do agree with that. What the expansion area currently lacks is the vast train network that the main area has. And, although their models are great I've seen better models elsewhere. It's the moving elements that really make this attraction.
Their is one showstopper in that area I really love. The boats caught in a storm. Its such a perfectly executed effect. I've also seen a few clips on their YouTube channel of what they are planning in the unused sections, and I think when that is finished it'll help a lot.