• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Monorail Refurbishment

For most people it will be the only time they ride on a monorail. And kids love it.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk
Hadn’t thought about it that way but it’s certainly the only one I’ve been on... are there even any others in the UK?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For most people it will be the only time they ride on a monorail. And kids love it.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk
That's a fair point actually, never really thought of that. I guess as enthusiasts/frequent visitors we take it for granted but thinking about it I don't think there is another monorail in the country is there? Closest I can think of is the North-South terminal shuttle at Gatwick. But the only similarity there is that it is high up off the ground!

There are a fair few actually, at UK theme parks and zoos. (Although Chester Zoo closed their (driverless automatic) one late last year)

Missed that one, but I have done quite a few.
Blackpool, Butlins here and there, Mingo has had a few, Chester Zoo, and Southport Funhouse had two small hanging rail monorail with Dragon heads on the front.
Really miss the Blackpool one, going through the Funhouse.
Showing my age again.

Does anyone else remember the monorail at Merry Hill shopping centre?

Yes, I failed to understand why they had that. Nice attraction though in the short time it was there. Like the food court at one of the stations more though.

last time I went to Merry Hell you could still see part of a station on the roof.

Yes, I failed to understand why they had that. Nice attraction though in the short time it was there. Like the food court at one of the stations more though.

last time I went to Merry Hell you could still see part of a station on the roof.
Yup still up there as far as I know on M&S:
https://goo.gl/maps/HUnbFAWHwVEWt1KQ8

and as it used to look:
U4N2FWBY3JGOTDZ5ILXBU3XTYQ

That, from Keele services, would be excellent for the Towers.
As long as it was fast.
And had a bar for the wife.

Originally it connected the shopping centre with the business park and offices etc. But I don't think they got people occupying the offices quick enough to make the monorail necessary really.

It was definitely a 1980s vision of the future!

I honestly can’t believe there is/were that many Monorails in the country!

Still, be a hell of a shame and a backwards amount of investment for ATR to scrap theirs :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally it connected the shopping centre with the business park and offices etc. But I don't think they got people occupying the offices quick enough to make the monorail necessary really.

It was definitely a 1980s vision of the future!
Wasn’t there a load of bars and a club up there as well? Are they still there?

Yeah, the complex is called The Waterfront. Not been there for a while (I live a 15 minute drive away) but there are defo still bars and businesses up there. I can remember going on the monorail quite a few times.

I have to say I’ve never ventured up there apart from a monorail ride as a kid. What’s actually up there? A number of bars? Or just a spoons and a club?

Last time I drove through several years ago there were several bars and restaurants but there's also a lot of big office buildings etc. Plus a massive usually mostly empty carpark around where the monorail station used to be.