Monorail Refurbishment

Discussion in 'Future Discussion' started by WallisDan, 13th Oct 2017.

1. Jonathan

Jonathan TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Helix <3
    It is indeed, and can be booked here

pluk likes this.
  2. siralgenon

siralgenon TowersStreet Member

Sorry for a bit of an out of the blue post, but did the Monorail end up getting refurbished during the closed season? I heard it mentioned then I've not heard or seen anything since?

blackholes crow likes this.
  3. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    I haven’t heard anything, but I think we’ll probably find out on 4th July when the park reopens!

blackholes crow likes this.
  4. Ben

Ben TS Founding Member

Favourite Ride:
    Your Dad
    I know which way I'd like to bet.

Also re: railway. Even if it managed to operate, coming to a station that is closed / holiday, Towers have no control over that and I doubt would be bothered as its out of their control. It would be an instruction of "Walk from here, try not to get hurt on the roads".

5. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    For the life of me, I struggle to understand the appeal of getting a train to Alton Towers.

If you walked up the road, that's a dangerous route - it's a pretty fast road all told. You could walk along the old railway route and up into the hotels that way - unless there is track there.

MattyH and MaxPower like this.
  6. monkeyboy

monkeyboy TowersStreet Member

#furloughed booze

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. imanautie

imanautie TowersStreet Member

Yeah, Farley lane is definitely not fun to walk...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

8. blackholes crow

blackholes crow TowersStreet Member

Thay need to open up the bottom entrance for this to be a safer route

imanautie likes this.
  9. QTXAdsy

QTXAdsy TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Black Hole
    Bit late for the chat but seeing the Churnet Valley Railway being mentioned got my interest being the trains enthusiast as I am and I could see that once they did get to Alton, it would be very good for them in the long term if it means have an joint up relationship with Towers. However the distance between the station and park does prove to be a problem with the below summing it up nicely...

Anyway, with regards to the monorail, I do have one wild thought that'll likely never get done other than perhaps the driverless trains...why not add an extension to the current monorail track that goes beyond it's terminus at Towers Street and carries on towards the station at Alton before heading back towards Towers Street, thus eliminating the need to walk from station to park?

Would help make the monorail actually be more useful than ever though I'm not sure if they could get permission to build down through that area of the park, still it would be quite a sight to behold. It would help the CVR have an attraction for that station and maybe with those who want to go to the park by train could use the price of their tickets for the train also act as their entrance fee for the park. Really if you put your mind to it, though there is no such thing as joint up thinking when it could be good for all...

imanautie likes this.
  10. imanautie

imanautie TowersStreet Member

I see a shuttle bus as a more viable solution then extending the monorail.
    Thinking across merlin I'm not aware of any joined up transport+park ticketing arrangements, THORPE don't and they have an operator running dedicated buses.
    Oddly enough arriva who run buses to Drayton apparently do sell park tickets on board.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

11. speedy

speedy TowersStreet Member

This is very much a "speculative idea" as it wouldn't make financial sense, but if it were up to me I'd open a new entrance at the southern side of the park to connect to the railway.

imanautie likes this.
  12. Poisson

Poisson TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Giant Squid
    I don't think people appreciate the geography of the area, the hill is bigger than you think. The closest bit of the park really is behind Oblivions brake run. That comes out opposite the Chained Oak B&B but then there's still a big hill to navigate from there. A cable car would be the best simply for it's ability to do the gradient, but traffic limiting and a shuttle bus is more likely

13. speedy

speedy TowersStreet Member

Or an escalator system, as seen in Ocean Park, Hong Kong, and Janfusion Fancyworld in Taiwan! (not sure if/how disabled people are able to navigate those parks however)

14. TheBolt

TheBolt TowersStreet Member

It would not be a good gamble to build a fixed transport link until you had proven constant demand.

A bus link would be the best approach until you got to hundreds of people a day needing that link.

If Britain seriously moved away from private cars over the next decade, that sort of transport link would start to make sense.
    If we stay as car dependent as now, I can't see demand for a train service going above what a single bus could handle.

imanautie likes this.
  15. blackholes crow

I think this chat should now be called the rail to park solutions

imanautie and kurtis.99 like this.
  16. blackholes crow

Lets go over the options so far...
    Extend the monorail
    Bus service
    Cable car
    Escalator
    Walk
    Anything i missed?
    A new one
    Rent a car lol

17. delta79

delta79 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis, Air
    Cliff railway
    Maglev
    A people mover based on the runaway mine train equipment

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

blackholes crow and speedy like this.
  18. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

Launched vertical Space Jam Log Flume transit system.

19. TheBolt

TheBolt TowersStreet Member

Could Mag-lev cope with the gradient? That would need some form of Otis like safety mechanism I am not sure exists?
    A funicular would be a great option, but the road is an issue.

If the monorail is reaching end of life (e.g. maybe the supports needed major work), a cable car would make sense as a replacement - especially if you can allow room for an extension to the train station as an option.

I assume refurbishing what they have is more realistic. A bit of paint and some new windows and platform side gates would make a huge difference to the experience.

20. Poisson

Poisson TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Giant Squid
    Lots of the footers for the Monorail do not look to be in good shape. The trains are probably cream crackered after so long as well. I think a cable car would be a decent shout for a replacement if they don't find fixing the monorail cost effective. Or a new monorail but I think in reality we'll get nothing