Monorail Refurbishment

Discussion in 'Future Discussion' started by WallisDan, 13th Oct 2017.

1. delta79

delta79 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis, Air
    Yes there were monorails around the uk, however they are getting less and less. So i think the one at towers should be refurbished as a unique way of getting to the park entrance.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

DiogoJ42, USLShadow and RoyJess like this.
  2. Log Flume's Dennis

Log Flume's Dennis TowersStreet Member

an aspect of the monorail that not many people consider is that if you're not fussed about going into the park, you can just ride the monorail all day for free. Granted you have to pay for parking but if you fill a people carrier with 7 people, and employ the usual money saving tactics of hot dogs in flask etc, you can get 7-8 hours of rides for £1 each. Granted it's the same ride but it's still good value for money.

WillPS, jmc, Joel3 and 10 others like this.
  3. ReneBlade Master

ReneBlade Master TowersStreet Member

Coach Drivers quite often do this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doublethink and ThisGuy like this.
  4. Alsty

Alsty TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Shambhala
    At Easter weekend, certain people used to sit on the monorail all day and try to flog fake tickets and 2-for-1 vouchers. I guess that got stopped in the end.

ThisGuy likes this.
  5. Jb85

Jb85 TowersStreet Member

lol - I suppose you could do that yes. Maybe take a board game or two with you and set up a BBQ in the car park?

have you thought about a giant log flume transporting people?

Log Flume's Dennis likes this.
  6. ShadowTD

ShadowTD TowersStreet Member

WARNING: Slighty tipsy rant incoming.
    Having visited the House of Mouse last year (sadly just weeks before the Skyliner opened, but it was testing) I clicked on this topic to see what the current thinking was around the monorail. It's funny to think that when Pearson bought the park it must have seemed like a genius idea to get around where the entrance was located. Now I'm quite sure Merlin hate the layout of Towers and view the Monorail as being somewhat of a curse. Disney love their monorail, it's plain to see but aren't wedded to it as a mass transit method - you could make plenty of cases for extending the WDW monorail but it's fundamentally not been touched since Epcot was built. People pay good money to stay at hotels on the resort monorail loop and for good reason - it makes park transportation feel simply effortless. They obviously wanted to provide that to a chunk of the middle tier resorts hence the investment in the Skyliner. Lord knows what that would have cost as a Monorail line! However Disney have another mass transit option for guests that's way more appropriate for Towers and I think more inkeeping with the way Merlin run things. The Tram (or what we would call a land train) is only used to ferry people to and from the car park and park entrances, over distances roughly comparable to Towers. They follow pre-defined routes and have drop off and pick up areas clearly marked out.
    *Ideally* Towers would run a land train from 9am to 11am, and then starting again from an hour before park close in addition to the monorail. Given I'm not living in cloud cuckoo land I'd even let them upcharge a couple of quid for it, as long as they used the dosh to A) Put air gates in both stations and B) make the monorail driverless. It's a god-damn block system for crying out loud - it should be remotely automated with the station staff pushing buttons to dispatch trains, thus ultimately saving on staffing costs and running the whole thing like something they have more experience in - a rollercoaster.
    I'll crawl back under my rock now.

blackholes crow, delta79 and MaxPower like this.
  7. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    The worst thing the monorail has done is convince a lot of people who could do the walk, that they shouldn't have to.

speedy, MattyH, MaxPower and 2 others like this.
  8. delta79

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis, Air
    I said something similar to this back in November.

9. Pleasure Beach Valhalla

Pleasure Beach Valhalla TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Monorails have been going down. We lost the Blackpool one nearly 8 years back and Safari Skyway back in mid 2015 and I'm just glad to see parks like Europa Park who have two monorails. The Towers monorail could do with a refurbishment in the future, the question is has the pandemic halted any planned refurbishments?

skyscraper likes this.
  10. Spookle15

Spookle15 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Big Thunder Mountain
    I generally have no issues with the walk, but one year when the monorail was down, we had to walk. No choice. Bearing in mind I can easily for 40,000 steps during a Scarefest outing, and having not done it before, I was not prepared for what was a 20 minute walk. It definitely wasn't what I needed at the start of (well actually four hours into) a 20 hour day.

I'd just like the monorail to be cleaner, have better theming, the ability to look out the windows and to be more efficient.

delta79 likes this.
  11. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    I still maintain that I think WDW-style trams would be a good idea if the monorail does ever close. I think having something in place as transport would be a good idea, as I can imagine the walk is difficult for some, but I don’t necessarily think it needs to be the monorail if it is too much of a drain on resources long-term.

Or failing that, maybe shuttle buses like Universal has to go between the main resort area and Volcano Bay would work? I know the park used to operate buses during February Half Term, so I think they could be up for doing it again if need be!

Last edited: 7th Jun 2020
    skyscraper likes this.
  12. MattyH

MattyH TowersStreet Member

On the basketball court inside the Matterhorn
    Favourite Ride:
    It's a smal world
    I still maintain that the Monorail needs good investment and could be a fantatic way to start and finish your day at the park. Full immersion from the moment you leave the car to the moment you return! Clear windows and updated voice overs, at least they still have themed audio even if it does spend most the time upselling.

Rojo likes this.
  13. blackholes crow

blackholes crow TowersStreet Member

My opinion would be to remove the aweful designs from the windows possably retheme one or two of them like the strawberry and that moover aka(daisy the cow) keep the jelly bean one as its a form of advertising along with the curse of the black train, revamp the stations (i hate to say this but good god who choose that colour scheme wow) i mean purple cream and black and white (ive spent way to long in those places lol) better lighting in there aswell i mean walking through there during scarefest and fireworks is kinda dark
    I read above the driverless systems thats Possably the best feature that it could go to in the future
    But the big one
    There opening the churnet valley railway to alton so extend it to match up with the rail station and increase the capacity of people coming to the park

skyscraper likes this.
  14. rob666

rob666 TowersStreet Member

First I have heard of the Churnet railway being extended.
    More info please!

blackholes crow likes this.
  15. blackholes crow

The churnet valley railway has now completed all actions to extend to alton its 90% fund rased all cash needed to extend the line (so hopefully in the next few years thete will be trains running along the line once again,there pushing towards leek and at the rate its giong ityle be reinstated in the next 10 years (what ive read on fb but first things first alton)https://www.churnetvalleyrailway.co.uk/news/1-4-million-for-churnet-valley-railway

url=http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.u...ck-expand/article-3342171-detail/article.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/ne ... ticle.html[/url]
    (Taken from towers times page)

Last edited: 8th Jun 2020
    QTXAdsy, MaxPower and rob666 like this.
  16. delta79

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis, Air
    churnet valley railway seen to gently ticks away in the background, slowly building up to the next goal, and so on in small steps.

The big aim is to run trains from stoke station to alton.

17. kurtis.99

kurtis.99 TowersStreet Member

Imagine how immersive a beautiful themed train station would be at the towers I’d love for this to happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MaxPower and BeccaH like this.
  18. blackholes crow

When it opens it'll be the biggest boost of income for them that thay will ever know
    And possably towers could open the second entry in x sector

19. blackholes crow

kurtis.99 likes this.
  20. Mr Pearse

Mr Pearse TowersStreet Member

Is the Alton train station platform still a holiday let?.