Most effective gimmick on an attraction?

Discussion in 'Rest of the World Parks and Attractions' started by Matt N, 17th Mar 2021.

1. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    Hi guys. Often when talking about attractions, gimmicks are generally seen in a very negative light by enthusiasts. Terms like “gimmicky” and “one-trick pony”, amongst other similar phrases, are nowadays often used as criticisms when reviewing an attraction. But here’s a good question for you; can a gimmick ever be so amazing that it really makes an attraction, regardless of its other elements (or lack of, in some cases)? Have you ever ridden a “gimmicky” attraction, or a “one-trick pony”, and had its gimmick completely floor you? Has the gimmick ever been so good that it’s completely overruled the “one-trick pony” status and made the ride a hit in your books?

I’ll get the ball rolling with some of my choices for this...
    • Falcon’s Fury at Busch Gardens Tampa - You might think that taking a drop tower and tilting the seats 90 degrees doesn’t make too much difference to the ride experience, and that they (Busch Gardens) should have just built a regular drop tower, but in my opinion, this trick is what really makes Falcon’s Fury shine. It’s so different to any other drop tower I’ve ridden, and even though most attractions don’t really scare me anymore (I do it for the enjoyment as opposed to the fear these days), I’ll admit that I was genuinely quite terrified when that ride vehicle tilted...
    • Stealth at Thorpe Park (and you could probably say the same about the other, similar Intamin Accelerator Coasters like Kingda Ka and TTD, even though I’ve never ridden them) - Stealth and the other large Accelerators may be all about the launch, but my goodness, that launch is quite a sensation! Even though LSM launches are growing more popular, and I love them in their own way, there’s very few elements that incite pure thrill and enjoyment quite like a good old hydraulic launch! People may dismiss rides like Stealth as one-trick ponies, but riding Stealth, especially the front row ride I had in 2020, really is a rush I’ll never forget!
    That’s just two I can think of at the moment; I may have more at another time, for all I know!

But what are some of your favourite gimmicks on attractions? Or gimmicky attractions/“one-trick ponies”?

Skyscraper likes this.
    Posted 17th Mar 2021
  2. Thameslink Rail

Thameslink Rail TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    Oblivion - it does one thing and it does it well. The pre shows, the holding brake and the mist all add to the experience. It's not a large ride but due to the topography it looks huge and intimidating.

Posted 17th Mar 2021
  3. Skyscraper

Skyscraper TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    I'm going to be slightly controversial here and say Thirteen. Yes it's not the most exciting ride and the marketing was a failure, but I personally really enjoy it. It's gimmick is obviously the drop track, which gets me every time even though I know it's there. Plus, anyone who hasn't experienced a Thirteen night ride hasn't experienced it at it's full potential. :p

Matt N likes this.
    Posted 18th Mar 2021
  4. Jonathan

Jonathan TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Helix <3
    Including the blinding flash from the ORP? :p

Connor98, Matt N and Skyscraper like this.
    Posted 18th Mar 2021
  5. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Oblivion for me also. The whole ride is centred around the drop. You have the anticipation of the drop in the queue line and as you go up the lift. The drop itself which is totally thrilling. And then a moment to reflect on the drop as you sit on the brake run waiting to go back in to the station.

jon81uk, Matt N and Skyscraper like this.
    Posted 18th Mar 2021
  6. Danscott22

Danscott22 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Falcon's Fury
    I have to agree with Oblivion, it's the only ride I still get nervous for, everything about it is just brilliantly executed - the force of the drop is fantastic for being the original.

Matt N and Skyscraper like this.
    Posted 18th Mar 2021
  7. QTXAdsy

QTXAdsy TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Black Hole
    I do, though not for an attraction... it is M&D's claiming themselves to be a Theme Park.

mo237, Matt N, Jonathan and 2 others like this.
    Posted 19th Mar 2021