• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Nemesis Reborn: Construction and Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
One season there was a grassy knoll opposite a Schwarzkopf that 2 seasons later became a giant rock pit containing a fantastic B&M invert with "blood" rivers flowing into it, a giant monster of a station and creepy looking worship stones situated on what were once boring clear pathways. I'm not sure what more "theming" and "back story" people want for an intense 40 odd second coaster? Even in its current grimy, run down state, it still impresses the uninitiated.
its still a great ride - wouldn't it be cool to have the water back for example

I can see the marketing for this continuing into 2023 with the re-opening of Sub Terra being the next major promo / announcement.

Have to say the park are doing well with all this. Loving the HH stuff too. Maybe just maybe the place is finally in good hands again.

Nemmy won't be changing name and the changes to the ride will be very small. JW has already told them not to mess with it too much and I think they will listen. A colour scheme change would be fine with me too if those proposed colours are indeed true. Okay it would be weird to lose the Grey track but I think they could be thinking about the dirt and grime it attracts.

Safe to say when it reopens it will still be an amazing coaster no doubt.

Smiler has a great concept, but it just wasn't executed properly. Gotta give kudos to the designers of it as they tried to make it really thematically appropriate for X Sector. If they keep the creep feel of it the same but tone the theming ever so slightly down and add more subtle theming, it would be a perfect fit to X Sector!
Yeah just kind of seems to me like the theme was an afterthought. But with Nemesis and Wickerman, probably Oblivion as well the theme and the ride seems like they were designed along side one another... Even if they weren't.

Honestly, many major rides nowadays are going for heavy story themes nowadays so I wouldn't be suprise if the thought of Nemesis getting one has been considered.

You could say Towers have already done this adding preshows to rides such as Oblivion, Hex, Wicker Man and both even Duel when first opened and Sub Terra had this too and it seems this is to continue with Project Horizon looking likely to have its own preshow.

I'd just be happy if they used the Tom Baker audio for the queue line and that's that for me.

One season there was a grassy knoll opposite a Schwarzkopf that 2 seasons later became a giant rock pit containing a fantastic B&M invert with "blood" rivers flowing into it, a giant monster of a station and creepy looking worship stones situated on what were once boring clear pathways. I'm not sure what more "theming" and "back story" people want for an intense 40 odd second coaster? Even in its current grimy, run down state, it still impresses the uninitiated.
I think Nemesis is "impressing the uninitiated" because of the roller coaster itself. The roller coaster itself is still clearly delivering for people, hence why the park have chosen to retrack it. Ultimately, Nemesis for most people is a roller coaster, however well themed it is, and the roller coaster itself is undeniably very popular.

I won't deny that the pit is a hugely impressive feat of engineering. The monster is also a nice centrepiece. However, I think the ride lacks the finer details that some of the newer rides (e.g. Wicker Man) have to clearly convey the narrative to the first time rider and take the storytelling onto another level. I could just be biased having never ridden it in 1994 and only having seen it in its modern day form, sans blood waterfalls and such. Nonetheless, I do feel that the ride could do with some more little details to help convey the narrative more clearly, as I do feel that it possibly falls short in this regard in its modern day form compared to some of the park's other rides and other rides at places like Thorpe Park.

I think Nemesis is "impressing the uninitiated" because of the roller coaster itself. The roller coaster itself is still clearly delivering for people, hence why the park have chosen to retrack it. Ultimately, Nemesis for most people is a roller coaster, however well themed it is, and the roller coaster itself is undeniably very popular.

I won't deny that the pit is a hugely impressive feat of engineering. The monster is also a nice centrepiece. However, I think the ride lacks the finer details that some of the newer rides (e.g. Wicker Man) have to clearly convey the narrative to the first time rider and take the storytelling onto another level. I could just be biased having never ridden it in 1994 and only having seen it in its modern day form, sans blood waterfalls and such. Nonetheless, I do feel that the ride could do with some more little details to help convey the narrative more clearly, as I do feel that it possibly falls short in this regard in its modern day form compared to some of the park's other rides and other rides at places like Thorpe Park.
The thing is that Nemesis is great because it doesn't focus on trying to be up to date and modern, it's target is to be really scary and not let you know why, so it makes you worryingly think about it and raises your tension within you without even trying.

Finally, something I agree with!!!
Funny thing is I've hardly said anything controversial - some changes to the queue line (covered with vines - makes the Q better for everyone in rain or sun) and possibly an in station show whilst on the train like on Baron with the ghosts, make the monster more obvious from a distance

Most of the general public aren't that bothered about a story or theming. These days on wickerman most people just push right to the front, ignore the pre show then bolt for the doors when they open. Another example in the Hex video part I saw 4-5 people with their heads down in their phones.

One day they'll probably turn off that Wickerman pre show

Most of the general public aren't that bothered about a story or theming. These days on wickerman most people just push right to the front, ignore the pre show then bolt for the doors when they open. Another example in the Hex video part I saw 4-5 people with their heads down in their phones.

This just proves it that UK citizens don't want American like narrative attractions. We like the simple theme factor if the ride by how it looks and how it's executed.

Europe Park is a great example example adding narrative but not letting it go over the top like The US parks, same could be said for Efteling.

Exactly - Energylandia >>>>> IoA

I don't deny that in some cases. My parents, without fail, moan every time we ride about how the Wicker Man pre-show is dull and unneeded, and say that they should turn it off. In fairness, I will contradict myself and say that Alton in its modern form might not necessarily be the type of park where theming is of paramount importance to those who visit.

However, I do think people appreciate theming and story-building if it's there. If Brits didn't like immersion, why would they go to the Florida parks, which are full of immersion and narrative, in such large numbers? And why would Merlin even try and theme things if the public didn't care about theming? Theming on rides doesn't exist solely to please enthusiasts; if Merlin didn't think it was worthwhile for the business to add heavy theming to rides like Wicker Man, and they didn't think that the wider populace would "get it", they would definitely save the money and leave it themeless. Theming costs a lot of money.

This just proves it that UK citizens don't want American like narrative attractions. We like the simple theme factor if the ride by how it looks and how it's executed.

Europe Park is a great example example adding narrative but not letting it go over the top like The US parks, same could be said for Efteling.
Efteling is massively over rated - look at the general public reviews for it against the love that enthusiasts/vloggers give it - all three main parks in the UK are better than Efteling

Simply put we can think for ourselves. If we were to theme rides here like they do in America the finished ride system would suffer. We just don't have the budget of Disney so we do things differently over here.

As long as the plot is simple enough for the rider to understand such as Wicker Man tells the audience are going to be sacrificed or Oblivion explaining about going vertically without making it too detailed then that's fine enough.

Not saying every coaster should have a pre show though some simple pointers at what a ride's basic theme is would help for example even after all these years I still have no clue what Thirteen's plot is and don't get me started on Rita's one...doesn't make sense in general and how Dark Forest is my least favourite area on the park of how badly it was done and how it hasn't changed since it opened.

I don't deny that in some cases. My parents, without fail, moan every time we ride about how the Wicker Man pre-show is dull and unneeded, and say that they should turn it off. In fairness, I will contradict myself and say that Alton in its modern form might not necessarily be the type of park where theming is of paramount importance to those who visit.

However, I do think people appreciate theming and story-building if it's there. If Brits didn't like immersion, why would they go to the Florida parks, which are full of immersion and narrative, in such large numbers? And why would Merlin even try and theme things if the public didn't care about theming? Theming on rides doesn't exist solely to please enthusiasts; if Merlin didn't think it was worthwhile for the business to add heavy theming to rides like Wicker Man, and they didn't think that the wider populace would "get it", they would definitely save the money and leave it themeless. Theming costs a lot of money.
Trust me, most UK guest only go to Florida to shut their kids up, wish this was a joke, but it isn't. I can tell you that from first hand experience.

When I went to Florida, I was actually quite disappointed in terms of the rides and themes, the only rides that are up with our stuff here and in Europe were Pirates of the Caribbean, Space Mountain, Spaceship earth, and The Mummy. Everything else disappointed me because of the heavy narrative.

Your last sentence pretty much nailed it. Where do you stop with it all? Why keep bolting bits on to a 30 year old ride like Nemesis when people get the name, the brand and just enjoy the rollercoaster for the great ride it is. The ride isn't even going for good and look at the turn out for it! 3 hour queue earlier and it'll be back in a years time.

Adding extra theming to Nemesis won't really add more to the ride experience now. I'm cool with how it is

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.