• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Nemesis Reborn: Construction and Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Yes, but they asked for his opinion nevertheless, and they got it. I really would've thought it'd be obvious for Merlin to Keep Nemesis with its incredible reception from guests to this day.

I wasn't aware that Nemesis was being completely dismantled and replaced by a different ride rather than being rebuilt a la Hulk.

Oh wait. They are keeping it.

Let's face it, they bring it back EXACTLY as it was in 2022, where is the marketing pull? If anything public on socials would make it into a negative rather than a positive.

They bring it back with some changes i.e colour, bit of a story, it draws interest and a bit of hype from the GP (even though we all know it's the same ride)

And guess what, it is going to ride exactly the same as it always has!

I can't imagine the endless negativity on here if they just demolished the ride and didn't re-buuld. Just be thankful Merlin have spent the money to keep this ride going for another 20+ years.

Idk anymore, maybe it's just me. I'm mostly a tad more interested in the theme than the actual ride itself, just a bit!! I think it works wonders and seeing the potential chance of it being scrapped or rethemed for a Military theme and a blander colour scheme kinda makes my blood boil. Forbidden Valley looked so weird with the giant monster in the pit, the rusty, abandoned Sci fi buildings and vehicles, the monoliths, the drill coveted in tendrils, the music, I absolutely loved it, it was so unearthly!! Don't get me wrong, the ride is amazing in almost every way a coaster layout can be, but the Forbidden Valley itself... for me anyway, is, or, was, on a whole other level...

Let's face it, they bring it back EXACTLY as it was in 2022, where is the marketing pull?
The marketing pull is it's one the park's most popular rides and a major draw people come for. You can't easily build a better ride in that space, so best keep Nemesis.

The idea every aspect of maintaining your appeal needs a remarketing spin is a tactic used mainly by Merlin in the world. Many similar sized parks rebuild their best coasters with no problem and are successful for it.

If spin was really needed, do the fun PR stuff and enhance the original theme so it's better than ever.

Wanting something to be the best version it can be, knowing it was great before, isn't negativity. Of course we are all glad Nemesis is being kept for the future and this is a brilliant opportunity.

Theme park fans can be horrible moaners at times but I can't understand why some expressing opinion about changing one the park's most iconic rides has rubbed so many the wrong way. It's Nemesis, one the building blocks of the theme park we love! (emphasis on theme) Any changes were going to be scrutinised.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's face it, they bring it back EXACTLY as it was in 2022, where is the marketing pull?
Did Hulk at IOA receive any aesthetic changes apart from the entrance? That ride is still very well-received amongst the GP.

Last edited:
The marketing pull is it's one the park's most popular rides and a major draw people come for. You can't easily build a better ride in that space, so best keep Nemesis.

The idea every aspect of maintaining your appeal needs a remarketing spin is a tactic used mainly by Merlin in the world. Many similar sized parks rebuild their best coasters with no problem and are successful for it.

If spin was really needed, do the fun PR stuff and enhance the original theme so it's better than ever.

Wanting something to be the best version it can be, knowing it was great before, isn't negativity. Of course we are all glad Nemesis is being kept for the future and this is a brilliant opportunity.

Theme park fans can be horrible moaners at times but I can't understand why some expressing opinion about changing one the park's most iconic rides has rubbed so many the wrong way. It's Nemesis, one the building blocks of the theme park we love! (emphasis on theme) Any changes were going to be scrutinised.
Scrutinised, but only by the thoosies.
99% of the people of this nation neither know nor care about the replacement.
The park do not care what the thoosies think either, there may be the odd nod to the geeks, but that will be it.
Wake me up next March.

Did Hulk at IOA receive any aesthetic changes apart from the entrance? That ride is still very well-received amongst the GP.
Yes, All the theming inside was taken out for new set pieces, that and along with a new audio and lighting in the launch sequence. The ride also received a completely new story of being involved with a Military ran Laboratory testing Gamma Radiation on the guests.

99% of the people of this nation neither know nor care about the replacement.
This 'gotcha' that 99% people don't care therefore nothing matters is the real tiresome negative.

It's not how good entertainment works. Otherwise the team behind the original Nemesis needn't have bothered go the extra mile to make something so good and unique in the first place.

This 'gotcha' that 99% people don't care therefore nothing matters is the real tiresome negative.

It's not how good entertainment works. Otherwise the team behind the original Nemesis needn't have bothered go the extra mile to make something so good and unique in the first place.

That’s not the point being made.

A copy and paste of the 1994 theme does not have the same appeal and draw as a new take on the theme with visual/story changes.

It is likely that less people would be interested in Nemesis if it opened with no notable changes. Clearly Merlin/Towers have ascertained this otherwise we wouldn’t see things like the black track and more Phalanax involvement happening.

A copy and paste of the 1994 theme does not have the same appeal and draw as a new take on the theme with visual/story changes.

It is likely that less people would be interested in Nemesis if it opened with no notable changes. Clearly Merlin/Towers have ascertained this otherwise we wouldn’t see things like the black track and more Phalanax involvement happening.
100% agree. There is no way that Merlin would have greenlighted the project if it was just going to be a like-for-like swap. That wouldn't generate any return on investment.

The majority of the general public couldn't give a monkeys about whether a ride has a story or not. People who don't normally go aren't going to start rocking up because they made up a new story about the chicken and the egg. May they turn up to ride it because it's a completely new track? Possibly

Watch people in Hex and Wickerman, most people either look at their phones or bolt for the door when it's finished. If they're going to add some show to slow the queue down to a snails pace and being rammed in some tiny room then no thanks from me.

People will ride it because it's Nemesis, it doesn't need gimmicks, it's the best ride in the park by some way.

Read my post again before replying with a nonsensical argument...
I have read it,

Nonsensical because I think if it opened exactly as it did in 1994 or with changes it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to an already popular ride.

Reactions: Tom
I have read it,

Nonsensical because I think if it opened exactly as it did in 1994 or with changes it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to an already popular ride.
Amongst enthuasiasts, it probably wouldn't. Amongst the GP, I think it might because a new story would draw in more people compared to if it was the same, but this is just my opinion.

Amongst enthuasiasts, it probably wouldn't. Amongst the GP, I think it might because a new story would draw in more people compared to if it was the same, but this is just my opinion.
It's going to have a popularity boost regardless. It'll have been closed for over a year and people will want to ride the "new" version.

Will be difficult to tell either way.

Correct me if I’m wrong here, but I think what @James is trying to get at is that changes to the ride make the retrack project more marketable to folks who have never visited the park before, or folks who might be undecided on whether to return and need that extra push, or folks who won’t return unless the park put in something new.

Compared to a new ride, at least, a like-for-like retrack is an inherently difficult thing to market and sell to those groups mentioned above. Ultimately, it is those groups who the park want to market towards when making a large CAPEX investment. And if I’m talking frankly, those groups probably make up the majority of the target demographic to some extent.

Imagine that someone has visited the park before, but is feeling a bit jaded by the current offering. They won’t want to visit again until the park have put in a new ride or are offering something tangibly “new” for them to experience. Rebuilding Nemesis exactly as was and keeping everything the same would likely have them asking “I’ve done Nemesis before; if it’s exactly the same as it was, then why should I come back and experience it again just because you’ve replaced the track and given the existing scenery a lick of paint?”. If you keep the ride exactly the same as before, making a case to this crowd to make them return for the retracked Nemesis may be tough, because nothing tangible has changed.

Making some changes, on the other hand, does give the park an excuse to sell the retracked Nemesis as a tangibly new and different experience. Theming changes are tangible changes, and while not everyone cares about theming, having a different theme and an altered backstory that revolves around Nemesis being “reborn” or “revived” or whatever, as well as new theming objects, new trains, differently coloured track and other changes does present tangible change that might make these folks want to come back and ride it a little more. The park can at least present the veneer of a “new” experience, which would be very hard if the ride were kept exactly as it was before.

Most refurbishments of this ilk like to present the veneer of a “new” experience, and I’d wager that it’s in large part for that reason. When retracking the Incredible Hulk Coaster, Universal Orlando completely changed the queue, made pretty drastic alterations to the storyline and added on-board sound amongst other new enhancements. When Merlin retracked Colossos at Heide Park, they completely changed the theme, enhanced it with various additions including a giant flaming structure, and renamed it “Colossos: Kampf der Giganten”. Even Europa Park, a park that is arguably more nostalgic and faithful to its history than most, gave Eurosat a completely new theme, including a lavish new queue, a brand new exterior and various thematic touches throughout the ride, when they retracked it.

My point is that it is very hard to market this type of refurbishment and make a case for why people should come and experience the ride in its refurbished form without offering something tangibly different, and for folks who may not visit or revisit without a “new” experience being offered, this is very important.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.