• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Nemesis: Sub-Terra

Never rode it when it was open before (my first visit to Towers was October 2015 so it was already closed) so I’m looking forward to experiencing it for the first time!

I wonder if the revival of this ride (despite probably already having been planned to reopen to coincide with the Nemesis closure) is a test to see if guests are excited to see old rides return, to possibly revive some old flats and bring in new models?

At the moment I doubt they are being that long term strategic.

It might prove a nostalgia factor but I don’t think they actively planned to test that.

Yes, 12A rating, which I believe was being enforced by the park at the time? Couldn’t confirm for sure
It was just the usual press guff from Towers, it was never enforced - just the usual height restrictions. Gotta look out for those keywords in the article:

A spokesperson for Alton Towers said it aimed to enforce the age limit.

"After experiencing the attraction first-hand... we would recommend that Alton Towers Resort classify the new Nemesis Sub-Terra a '12A'.

I’m glad of that as my daughter was born the year it opened and she reached 1.4m tall last year and both of us would have been gutted if she wasn’t allowed to ride for been only 11 and I wouldn’t have left her outside on her own.

would have been gutted if she wasn’t allowed to ride for been only 11 and I wouldn’t have left her outside on her own.

If it were a 12a not a 12 it wouldn't have been a problem

Also...I'm so hyped this ride is back I love it far too much. No changes bar the shouting and I'd be very happy!

Regarding the 12A certificate, you'd think that the marketing team would have learnt lessons from Thirteen of saying a ride being so scary when in truth it never was in the first place but alas like thr Japanese military in the Godzilla films who always keep trying to shoot at him yet never make a dent in him, nothing was learnt from the marketing team then.

Though TBF, Sub Terra if I remember being on it back in 2013 did in some ways seem justified due to the ride's content, my only criticism of the ride was the ending being rushed when they could have had guests remained trapped in the dark pit with the feeling of Nemesis monsters crawling around you before they send you back up in which they lock the floor below you (much like the alien in ExtraTERRORestrial at WDW) and you walk, not running, over to the exit lifts in which in perhaps a post show sequence could be some Phalanx representative saying apart from a few hiccups (ha!) Everything went fine and that they hope to see you again (translation, re-ride) before the lift doors open and you're back up on the surface again.

A more slowed down climax could have helped make the experience better in which in conclusion the first two halves of the ride experience was good but ultimately they dropped the ball on the final part. No idea what we'll have in store here but I'm curious to see what it might be.

I recon there will be little changes.

Maybe the queue line videos will be altered slightly and possibly the preshow. I guess we’ll get the new Phalanx logo as that’s been displayed on the screens outside.

But by the sounds of the press release, they’ve found an egg and we can now view it. Which sounds the same as the old story to me.

It is very strange to here just how many people havn't been on this ride before. I'm finding it especially unusual because 2014 was the last time I visited Alton Towers, and by coincidence I might be going back next month. So from my own perspective it'll be like Sub-Terra never closed!

I remember the opening day as if it was only a few years ago. Although it doesn't feel like the community has changed much in that time it shows just how big Vloging has become, especially among people that only recently joined the community.

This might be a controversial view but now the ride isn't a headline attraction anymore it could benefit from dropping the capacity and slowing the experience down so that each stage lasts a little longer. Except for when it first reopens I'm not expecting long queues, so why not take the opportunity to make the experience better? Unlike Mandrill Mayhem I'd even support a virtual queue on this if they had to implement one.

Any hat preferences?

The queue line videos were cool, until you'd been stood for 50 minutes and they'd looped approximately 5000 times.
Nothing like a six year old quote to repeat a poor gag.
Lots of people not riding it before?
Most people seem to get into coasters in a big way in their teens, it is something that can be safely done without family, with your mates, with parental approval.
Most people grow out of the hobby in their late teens or early twenties, coming back as their kids get older.
Then there are the thoosies...
And with nemmy shut for the year, the capacity of this does nothing for the other queues this year.
We will ride it once if there is a short queue, but with the throughput not being great, the chance of a short queue will be pretty slim.

Last edited:
The ride description is slightly different on the app than it is on the website. Setting it up for the fact that something's "escaped"

Even reading the description on the app, sounds like the same story as the original, although I think it's a bit of a spoiler if you haven't ridden before! It would be like putting on the Hex description 'discover a sealed vault where the room seems to spin around'. Spoilers!

The original ride:
You are invited to view a Nemesis egg discovered deep underground, all hell breaks loose, and the creature has 'escaped' the egg, you discover a hive of eggs underground, you make a run for it and leave the facility.

We’re now on the app!
IMG_9130.jpeg
Animated GIF

Regarding the 12A certificate, you'd think that the marketing team would have learnt lessons from Thirteen of saying a ride being so scary when in truth it never was in the first place but alas like thr Japanese military in the Godzilla films who always keep trying to shoot at him yet never make a dent in him, nothing was learnt from the marketing team then.

The lesson learned from Thirteen was the highest attendance of any year since the opening of Nemesis. I am glad the park don't go for this lowball marketing hype a decade or so later, but this kind of approach had proven to be effective.

Always found it to be self-defeating that the park followed-up a thrill ride whose central gimmick was a sudden drop with a ride that did exactly the same.

Is the drop the same height and ride system as whata found in the dungeons or is it bigger. Ive never ridden it, and know nothing about what to expect but any additional flat rides is a bonus.

Is the drop the same height and ride system as whata found in the dungeons or is it bigger. Ive never ridden it, and know nothing about what to expect but any additional flat rides is a bonus.
the drop is smaller, but forceful