• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Nemesis: Sub-Terra

Actually, did ABC rides ever come up with a solution to the restraint system during the time Sub Terra was closed or not?

I’m surprised there’s not more reviews on here?! Is this because of those low throughputs lol?! Any updates?

Yesterday and today are exclusion dates for all Merlin passes except Platimum and both levels of Alton Towers passes. This could well be impacting the number of enthusiasts being at the park and experiencing the attraction.

Last edited:
Yesterday and today are exclusion dates for all Merlin passes except Platimum and both levels of Alton Towers passes. This could well be impacting the number of enthusiasts being at the park and experiencing the attraction.
Possibly, however many enthusiasts will have platinum passes in order to attend prestige events such a fireworks.

Could it just be that the reopening of a filler attraction like Subterra just isn't particularly exciting in the grand scheme of things?

Could it just be that the reopening of a filler attraction like Subterra just isn't particularly exciting in the grand scheme of things?
And not just any filler - a filler that wasn't particularly well regarded the first time round.

I suspect there are a lot of folks who wouldn't be making any sort of special arrangements for Sub-terra, but are quite happy to experience it as and when they're next on park.

Certainly the issues on opening day were made worse by the large crowds who wanted to ride it and leading to much unhappy reactions though even if the restraint issue had been resolved would people still have liked it as it seems many are saying the ending its tame compared to before. Suppose really once it settles down into its filler role then it'll fulfil its own niche market in the park's line up.

That said, if Sub Terra is sticking around for good then I suspect we might see the storyline see a change once Nemesis reopens which would give them a chance to tweak things needing done.

I'd love to give this a go as I never got to ride it first time round, however the stories of the restraints are making me sway towards not bothering. Can the restraint on NST be compared to that of any of the other coasters? I'm fine on all of those, its just mainly my thighs more than anything else haha

When I first went on Sub Terra, I don't remember my thighs getting crushed unless this is a recent thing? I was lucky I went on it a year after it open when there was no reliability issues and all I remember was the whole thing being over and out within a matter a minutes. Not a masterpiece by sure but a good laugh when you had friends with you who didn't know what to expect when everything was working.

That all being said, with Sub Terra now back up and running, the park's dark ride line up is looking a bit more healthier now, though only if they get Hex working again which for that I've no idea about what will happen there.

Last edited:
I never rode sub-terra during it's initial run as it's entire life-cycle fell during a period I was boycotting towers, but I rode it a few days ago and actually quite enjoyed it.
I didn't, however, really feel it warranted posting a review which pretty well sums up where it sits in the parks line up for me. The park is slightly better for it being there, but it's not going to be the first thing anyone mentions when they tell their friends about their day.
Throughput has been painfully slow, largely it seems, down to the ridiculous process involved in getting the restraints to lock which amounts to the ride hosts doing press-ups on the bar for an ungodly amount of time. It ruins the flow of the attraction and is awkward and uncomfortable to behold.
But all that aside, as I said, I found it a fairly enjoyable attraction.

The restraint issue is surely down to them letting people on that sadly shouldn't be? If the bar is several inches above the lap of someone of slighter build,then clearly that isn't safe. Yes, the design is probably bad, but ultimately it can be managed by better screening of people, or a test seat as a minimum, unless I'm missing something?

Last edited:
Isn't this the same headache as X:TWD ... whereby the restraint can safely restrain a large adult but only in a way that the shared nature of it means a child can wriggle out of the same shared restraint ?

Isn't this the same headache as X:TWD ... whereby the restraint can safely restrain a large adult but only in a way that the shared nature of it means a child can wriggle out of the same shared restraint ?
TWD requires two people in each row because of the shared restraint and no seat divider. No single riders at all.

The restraints were edited (2015?) to prevent anyone being able to stand, even small people. Unfortunately this means it has to be tight in general. I remember when I last did it back then that most were ejected for size and most of those people were normal sized as such

Problem here is, unless they try and sort something out, the rides popularity will naturally decrease over time as a filler, but it will also be alienating people with certain body shapes and sizes from riding, and then we very may well end up with an SBNO attraction again. Is there absolutely nothing that can be done to make them less restrictive but still safe?

I don't think there's much they can do given what's there already. They want to ensure people can't get out which means that it has to be a tight fit. As it's a common lap bar that means you can't accommodate people of different sizes.

I assume they were originally designed so that you couldn't fall out (as opposed to being designed to prevent people climbing out), Towers later decided that wasn't good enough but the design of the restraint gave them few options.

Problem here is, unless they try and sort something out, the rides popularity will naturally decrease over time as a filler, but it will also be alienating people with certain body shapes and sizes from riding, and then we very may well end up with an SBNO attraction again. Is there absolutely nothing that can be done to make them less restrictive but still safe?
In modern society, one size does not fit all.
The fact that the working restraint system has not been fixed, when the problem was clear five years ago, highlights Merlins incompetence in running some attractions...
A bit like Thirteens drive wheels issue running over two seasons.
...and I think the "ride" will be sbno in a couple of years regardless.
If it was to be a permanent attraction, it would have had a permanent fix.

The restraints weren't a problem, then on the same ride type there was 'an incident', and then the restraints were a problem. I too thought that was the biggest driver in the ride closing when it did, so am suprised to see no amendment made.

Would probably be too expensive a fit, but what the restraint really needs is something ratcheted under the bar that falls into the riders lap once the bar is down