• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Nemesis: Sub-Terra

There was a rumour a while ago that part of the ride system was moving to Legoland? Guessing this never happened? I would like it to re open but I doubt it will this season.

There was a rumour a while ago that part of the ride system was moving to Legoland? Guessing this never happened? I would like it to re open but I doubt it will this season.
The rumour about the ride system being removed entirely and transported to Legoland Winsor and reopened as The Haunted Mansion, it was probably false, It seemed a bit far-fetched to me when I heard about it.

Would make sense if they have no plans to reopen it at Alton and they're going to use the exact same hardware at Legoland.

When you've taken the roof off, I imagine it's a fairly easy move.

Would make sense if they have no plans to reopen it at Alton and they're going to use the exact same hardware at Legoland.

When you've taken the roof off, I imagine it's a fairly easy move.
The Haunted House proposal at Legoland has been entirely redesigned to use a different ride system, not a drop of any kind (like the other LL Haunted Houses).

It would be very costly to move Sub Terra out of its current foundation (Merlin don't pay costs if it doesn't bring immediate return), which is why it will either be left there mothballed until the building is demolished or returned to service with redesigned restraints in the near future.

Returning it to service also costs however and it's probably down to whether Merlin care enough to see it back, since the ride has surpassed their usual 4-year new attraction budgeting policy and it will likely come out of Alton Towers' own operational budget now.

To any sensible point of view however, its issues should have been sorted a long time ago, since guests are still paying for it as part of the offering. Well, it shouldn't have been built with such big flaws in the first place, but that's what you get with a rushed project, cheap ride hardware and lack of consideration.

@electricBill As I recall it's just 24 bolts and you can lift it straight off (minus the issue of removing the roof - which again I think is fairly simple?) You can get frame mounted versions from ABC, but I don't think these were - it's been a while.

Then the high cost would be in the hire of plant and pay contractors for the time of work, lifting 4 towers and reinstating the roof to proper regs. I don't know the build of the ride so perhaps it's simple to dismantle, but still timely and costly, so I'd have been surprised if Alton Towers did it.

Legoland's attraction isn't penned to be a drop tower anymore because of all the issues with ABC drop towers, which is probably a good thing to come out of the Sub Terra issue, after they were being copied and pasted in so many Merlin attractions. Sub Terra was a disaster of a project, but still in the end they got it to entertain people a decent amount and guests deserve it open in the ride offering.

Last edited:
I think at the beginning it was done pretty well, if I have conversations with non enthusiast friends there is generally a lot of hype around the ride experience. It's a shame really but hopefully it could potentially reopen one day :)

I think at the beginning it was done pretty well, if I have conversations with non enthusiast friends there is generally a lot of hype around the ride experience.
Yeah I mean the original design, which was changed a lot after a month or so (and changed quite a bit before opening too) which had an almost unanimously poor reception from what I learnt. People on the project were so hindered as well because of the inadequate budgets, not enough time given, not enough consideration for what was being asked of them and so the quality of work suffered.

I think most the attitude about the ride is hype, but at least the public enjoy it now. I mean its a basic drop tower in the dark, with some thinly spread effects that are less accomplished than what was being done in the UK 30+ years ago. Plus a shipping container ending with an actor shining a light in your face.

It's weird Merlin get away with stuff like this - for a theme park this size and a gateprice that high, but stick a 'dark' theme on it and a '12A certificate' PR stunt and people are convinced its the future of attractions! When you just know they'd have enjoyed a better ride far more, not necessarily bigger, just more inventive with efforts put into it.

The best part is not knowing when the drops are coming and then the lights & sound drama in getting off the ride before the second lift. That's fun, I wish there was more of this kind of thing, instead of then abruptly ending and having no substance to the experience.

Last edited:
It is reassuring that Terry is still listed on the website when the likes of Charlie have been removed.

I'm really wanting to go on this ride. Every visit to the park I've done it's been closed. And now with the reduced opening times it's no longer worth the 5 hour drive for such a small offering of rides. There really is no reason for me to visit Alton anymore. I'll miss a few of the big rides but to me its lack of rides and such short opening times now makes Thorpe a better choice

I'm really wanting to go on this ride. Every visit to the park I've done it's been closed. And now with the reduced opening times it's no longer worth the 5 hour drive for such a small offering of rides. There really is no reason for me to visit Alton anymore. I'll miss a few of the big rides but to me its lack of rides and such short opening times now makes Thorpe a better choice
How does it take you 5 hours to get to Alton, I live in Brighton and I've done it in just over 3 1/2 hours. Sub Terror was ok as a ride but seemed to miss something to me.

Try doing the drive from Exeter..... M5 all the way up to Birmingham, then onto the wonderful M6 up to J15. Takes usually about 4.5 to 5 hours each way depending on traffic.