• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Nemesis: Sub-Terra

It's on the internet. Just share the picture and credit it to the source. Seems to satisfy most people. Or, you could go and track down the original poster, send them a message asking for permission to share (with credit) and then by the time they get back to you with permission to share it in 3 days time no-one will care about the picture any more anyway.

Most people just appreciate the credit because it gives their website or page a little bit of exposure.

It would be trolling on epic proportions if all this was leading up to a viewing platform, I’d almost develop a new found respect for Merlin for having the audacity to do it.
In all honesty given how much we as enthusiasts having given Merlin utter dog's abuse at how they've run the park over the years and most notably Nemesis' new colours which everyone flipped out, they've likely got good reason to get some ample revenge at us with this and with the recent decline of the hotel and F&B, not because of standards slipping but to attack the fans to give them some crappy food and accommodation at the expense of the GP; not the first time we've seen that happen if you follow pop culture of the big companies attacking fans for not liking any their new stuff when it has good reason to be criticised.

I know it sounds pretty stupid that if this is true that they'd focus their attention on a small minority of guests in the grand scheme of things but then again isn't it always that big companies always seem to follow the word of some idiots on Twitter who are a loud minority? Damn, that got deep than I thought it would.

In all honesty given how much we as enthusiasts having given Merlin utter dog's abuse at how they've run the park over the years and most notably Nemesis' new colours which everyone flipped out, they've likely got good reason to get some ample revenge at us with this and with the recent decline of the hotel and F&B, not because of standards slipping but to attack the fans to give them some crappy food and accommodation at the expense of the GP; not the first time we've seen that happen if you follow pop culture of the big companies attacking fans for not liking any their new stuff when it has good reason to be criticised.

I know it sounds pretty stupid that if this is true that they'd focus their attention on a small minority of guests in the grand scheme of things but then again isn't it always that big companies always seem to follow the word of some idiots on Twitter who are a loud minority? Damn, that got deep than I thought it would.

Eh?

Given that half the participants on this thread don’t even want the ride to return I doubt Merlin are trying to enact any sort of revenge by teasing, and ultimately not delivering, it’s return.

Personally, I feel that we will probably hear something about Sub-Terra before 18th March. The height restriction board apparently being present would further suggest that something is going to happen with it this season, and the previously seen construction work strongly implied some form of movement with it, in my view.

In terms of why the park hasn’t made a bigger deal about it; I think it’s very plausible that they want the attention to be on The Curse at Alton Manor at this point. They only just announced that a new RetroSquad ride is coming (without even revealing what it is), so I absolutely think that there is still time for them to say something about Sub-Terra.

If Sub-Terra's height restriction board is on the wall of the baggage hold, then it seems to be 100% certain that it will be called Sub-Terra, although the trademark getting renewed already hinted toward this before.

Someone has clearly left that height board/sign thing there on purpose with the shutter open to get a reaction on the tinternet. Could be someone just messing with enthusiasts or it could mean it's re-opening. The sign being there doesn't confirm anything in isolation.

The Sub-Terra building could have been done up to be a refreshment shop to cater for all the THOOSIES who will be encamped on the 'Viewing Platform' throughout the season. Or, it could be that they've done up the building to be ready for a scare-maze at some point. Are you guys who were so sure that Sub-Terra was returning this season as the ride it once was, still so sure as you were a couple of months back?

Yeah, that sign could easily be reprinted by leek signs . I honestly don’t know why they’d reuse an old sign.

The queue line is weird, they did work on it. I was never sure it would reopen. But it was more convincing back in November compared to now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not in isolation, but it's not in isolation. Staff saying last year, a brand new queue line, a trademark renewal, a building clean up and Phalanx log repainted, clear work going on inside for months and the height board appearing DOES heavily suggest it.

Someone has clearly left that height board/sign thing there on purpose with the shutter open to get a reaction on the tinternet. Could be someone just messing with enthusiasts or it could mean it's re-opening. The sign being there doesn't confirm anything in isolation.

The Sub-Terra building could have been done up to be a refreshment shop to cater for all the THOOSIES who will be encamped on the 'Viewing Platform' throughout the season. Or, it could be that they've done up the building to be ready for a scare-maze at some point. Are you guys who were so sure that Sub-Terra was returning this season as the ride it once was, still so sure as you were a couple of months back?
I ask you this, however.

If nothing was happening with Sub-Terra, why would they have rebuilt the queue line in its entirety?

If nothing was happening with Sub-Terra, why would they have cleaned up the building and surrounding area over the off-season?

If nothing was happening with Sub-Terra, why would there have been work taking place in the building throughout the latter half of last season?

I’m by no means saying that Sub-Terra returning is a dead cert. I’m by no means saying that the happenings in that space are 100% due to Sub-Terra as we once knew it returning. I’m by no means saying that any attraction is confirmed to be opening in that space during the 2023 season.

However, I feel that there has been a significant amount of evidence pointing towards something happening in that space during 2023, and that evidence is too significant to ignore. The aforementioned work from last season, as well as the happenings that have been well documented by drone over the off-season, certainly suggest that the space is quite likely to be used in some capacity during 2023, in my view. Yes, I know that movement has occurred in this space in previous years and nothing has come of it, but the work that has occurred within the last year has been far more significant, and I feel that work of that magnitude would be unlikely to happen unless Alton Towers wanted to reuse the space in some capacity in 2023.

I am not confident enough to suggest that Sub-Terra will 100% be returning this season, and I’m certainly not saying that any hypothetical attraction that opens in that space in 2023 will even necessarily be Sub-Terra, but I can’t deny that the evidence in favour of something happening in that space is very strong.

Talking realistically, the work that we have seen taking place on Sub-Terra within the last year would likely cost thousands and thousands of pounds. That seems far too pricey to simply be an enthusiast stitch-up. Alton Towers would not spend a 5 or 6 figure sum to simply stitch up enthusiasts. If it had been the height restriction sign alone and the odd light being turned on or whatever, I could believe that theory, but I do not believe that Alton Towers would spend lots of money rebuilding the queue line and painting up the building and surrounding scenery to simply stitch up enthusiasts or make the building look presentable from this viewing platform they’re building. I believe that the most likely reason for this work having been conducted is that they wish to reopen the area for guest use in 2023. I can never be certain of that, but to me, it seems far more likely than any other possibility.

It is somewhat likely, yes. I'm still waiting for some hardcore evidence though that it will come back as the ride that it once was (I appreciate that not everyone is suggesting that).

It'll be odd if it isn't a ride/experience of some form, simply due to the queueline being redone. If it was just using the building, you'd scrap the queue and just send people up the steps or put a new small ramp in, not an entire queueline