• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Nemesis: Sub-Terra

If you do look back over all the previous posts here's what you'll see; a mixture of opinions ranging from "it's definitely reopening and it'll be at the start of the season", "It's an empty shell of a building and the ride hardware is long gone". There was never a great consensus one way or another.
the only consensus was that changes were happening, and it's hard to deny that when we can see that work has been happening in the rides queue line.

Personally I've been skeptical from the early stages. But a couple of the changes we have seen have swayed me to the view that something is going to open in that building. Mainly that:
  • The queue line has been repaired.
  • The large platform has been built around rather than over the buildings queueline.
  • The building has reappeared on official park maps.
I'd give good odds it will be reopening as a ride. And the good thing is if it's not reopening for the start of the season this makes the chance that it'll be getting a refurbishment more likley. Maybe the team that have been working on Alton Manor are also working on this. The outside can't easily be repaired during the main season but most the indoor work can happen at any time.
If not a ride a return to being a seasonal scare maze is just as likely.

If you do look back over all the previous posts here's what you'll see; a mixture of opinions ranging from "it's definitely reopening and it'll be at the start of the season", "It's an empty shell of a building and the ride hardware is long gone". There was never a great consensus one way or another.
the only consensus was that changes were happening, and it's hard to deny that when we can see that work has been happening in the rides queue line.

Personally I've been skeptical from the early stages. But a couple of the changes we have seen have swayed me to the view that something is going to open in that building. Mainly that:
  • The queue line has been repaired.
  • The large platform has been built around rather than over the buildings queueline.
  • The building has reappeared on official park maps.
I'd give good odds it will be reopening as a ride. And the good thing is if it's not reopening for the start of the season this makes the chance that it'll be getting a refurbishment more likley. Maybe the team that have been working on Alton Manor are also working on this. The outside can't easily be repaired during the main season but most the indoor work can happen at any time.
If not a ride a return to being a seasonal scare maze is just as likely.
It does make me think that now the teams attention on Alton Manor will be mostly over apart from tweaks, that it may turn to this

Sorry to backtrack but this comment caught my attention:

in reference to Shawn at TPWW:
Except the time when he was convinced TH13TEEN was going to be a B&M...
It's not fair to judge someone for something that happened so long ago and when so much has changed in that time.
When Th13teen opened (ha, Th13teen is now 13 years old!) I was in my first year at Uni. I'm not sure how old Shawn is but I'm guessing we're a similar age. His B&M prediction happened even before then, early 2009 if I remember correctly.
So this was before he worked for the park. Before he made many/any of his theme park connections. And even before he established his vloging career (these were the very early years of YouTube).
Let's not make strawman arguments when discrediting a source. It's important to remember that time matters. I don't know how reliable I'd count TPWW as a source but I'd certainly give him a lot more weight today than 13 years ago!

Sorry to backtrack but this comment caught my attention:

in reference to Shawn at TPWW:

It's not fair to judge someone for something that happened so long ago and when so much has changed in that time.
When Th13teen opened (ha, Th13teen is now 13 years old!) I was in my first year at Uni. I'm not sure how old Shawn is but I'm guessing we're a similar age. His B&M prediction happened even before then, early 2009 if I remember correctly.
So this was before he worked for the park. Before he made many/any of his theme park connections. And even before he established his vloging career (these were the very early years of YouTube).
Let's not make strawman arguments when discrediting a source. It's important to remember that time matters. I don't know how reliable I'd count TPWW as a source but I'd certainly give him a lot more weight today than 13 years ago!

Also when he would have been what, about 16? 😂

I made the comment about Shawn as a joke (not very good at these), but it is a strawman argument if you were to actually use it seriously and say why Shawn shouldn't be believed for anything. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Reactions: Tim
In terms of Shawn Sanbrooke; he cemented himself as a potentially reliable source for me when he heavily hinted towards stuff happening with Duel early on in 2022.

I remember some of his early 2022 Alton Towers vlogs, when he wandered through Duel and said “this ride is looking very tired… something’s going to happen to it before too long”. Then, he started being very adamant that something was happening with Duel even though little to no tangible evidence existed to support such a conclusion… and what do you know, the ride closed that September for a huge overhaul!

Considering his status and previous employment history with Alton Towers, I absolutely think that Shawn could be receiving inside information on certain things.

Whether he is or not, I’ve noticed that he seems pretty adamant that Sub Terra is returning; he included it in a list of “UK dark rides opening in 2023” in a post on his Facebook page the other day…

I made the comment about Shawn as a joke (not very good at these), but it is a strawman argument if you were to actually use it seriously and say why Shawn shouldn't be believed for anything. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
That's OK, I see that it probably was done as a joke.

But it's not the first time I've seen reference to the wild rumours that surrounded Th13teen (and even Sub-Terra which only opened 2 years later) and I thought it was a good point to remind people a lot changes in 10 years.

Both sub-terra and the platform were closed when I passed earlier, however the doors were open, noises coming from the area and there was a staff member posted outside the entrance. I didn't speak to them and don't suppose much would come of it if I did, but it's interesting nonetheless.

B2A99BFD-6D42-4C20-9FE2-7B4334B1F584.png

609A257A-1DC4-41CA-B479-C4D2F320D121.png

New speakers above the entrance! Source

There’s plenty of evidence pointing toward this reopening at some point. I guess with Towers having not announced anything there is no rush for Sub-Terra to reopen and I imagine they will want to concentrate on getting Alton Manor polished before focusing more attention on this.