• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Nemesis: Sub-Terra

I can’t understand any dislike here? Surely we all want new flat rides at Alton Towers, well he’s a great themed flat and Alton towers only drop tower for adults. Nothing but praise for me and can’t wait for it to open along side curse…can’t wait to go Alton Towers soon!

I’m sure in a few years time we won’t be talking about Retro’s or the flat ride problem ever again. It’s clear to see AT are continuing too invest, adapt and improve the parks lineup! Since the smiler incident and Covid they had a lot to catch up on, they will get there in sure if it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was against this opening again because it's pants, but after visiting on Sunday the park really needs something else in that area. Even if they only open it until Nemesis is back I wouldn't care if they bulldozed it after.

Is it more pants than absoloutly nothing. Surely. Staring at a tree is more pants no?

I find it mad that Sub Terra seems to get more hate than the collection of garish fair ground rides that were installed partly because the likes of Sub Terra weren’t operational.

If you have a fully functioning ride line up, Sub Terra is no where near the worst offender in the park in terms of overall experience, I’d have Spinball and the rapids and Rita comfortably above it in that regard for a start.

Given the amount of certain opinions on Sub Terra, I do have to ask what sort of attraction people would have wanted if it wasn't a drop tower ride in the dark. Maybe a blatant copy of the ride system of Alien Encounter in which IMO should have been that from the start or perhaps something else? Would be interesting to see what others would have liked for Sub Terra from the start and if the ride might have faired any better?

Having done it a few times, I would rate all three of those as far better rides than sub terra, sorry.

We’ll agree to disagree on that (I’d have put the rapids above it prior to it becoming a lazy river) but the point stands regarding the retro squad stuff, it seems to get more hate than that which I find bizarre.

I personally preferred sub Terra over Spinball and rita, and likely will again. Then again I preferred sub Terra over Nemesis, air, thirteen, rapids, etc. Gets unnecessary hate.

no one has said any rides are better than it, the word “preferred” has been used. The only one who has referred to other rides being better than it is yourself?

I think we've had this exact discussion before, but I honestly don't think it gets a lot of hate. It gets a lot of ambivalence.

Most folk didn't seem to be bothered when it was open, or bothered when it closed, and no doubt will continue not to be bothered when it comes back.

It is the very definition of filler. At this point obviously any filler rides are very welcome, in general, but Sub-Terra will never be in the same league as something like Ripsaw.

I'm one of the people who actively disliked NST, I found the entire experience extremely unpleasant and annoying. If visiting with a group wanting to do NST I'd usually do Ripsaw instead.

Even I'd still rather have it open than closed

I think we've had this exact discussion before, but I honestly don't think it gets a lot of hate. It gets a lot of ambivalence.

Most folk didn't seem to be bothered when it was open, or bothered when it closed, and no doubt will continue not to be bothered when it comes back.

It is the very definition of filler. At this point obviously any filler rides are very welcome, in general, but Sub-Terra will never be in the same league as something like Ripsaw.

Don’t disagree with any of that but I personally always preferred it to Ripsaw, just think it has a bit more about it, and I went on Ripsaw hundreds of times.

Agree that’s not how the majority will see it though.

Don’t disagree with any of that but I personally always preferred it to Ripsaw, just think it has a bit more about it, and I went on Ripsaw hundreds of times.

Agree that’s not how the majority will see it though.
You went on Ripsaw hundreds of times, but you went on sub terra how many times?
Must be far fewer, and that may explain things a bit!

I liked the ride and the whole idea they came up too with the backstory to Nemmy. The ride element more than delivered for what is needed also.

The issues were the pre and post show. It was a bit of a mess. I'd have preferred a longer period in the main ride area than that god awful 'scare maze' they came up with at the end.

With some very easy and relatively inexpensive tweaks this attraction could be very very good. Let's hope they have got it right this time.

You went on Ripsaw hundreds of times, but you went on sub terra how many times?
Must be far fewer, and that may explain things a bit!

Yeah, Ripsaw was around for almost 20 years whereas Sub Terra was there for 3 years, a better comparison is how many times I went on each when both were operational and NST wins that particular contest.

As I say, I accept that Ripsaw would win any poll you chose to set up on this subject, but for me it was a generic top spin with water fountains (and that’s taking nothing away from Wardley’s idea to include the fountains in the first place but ultimately it’s been replicated in numerous other parks). I would imagine that many people would be glad about this but you can’t ride NST or anything similar anywhere else, I’m a big dark ride fan and I preferred it out of the two, although really enjoyed both.

It is the same ride as the drop in the Dungeons though isn't it, so the bare bones of the ride are quite common aren't they?
...I've only done the dungeons twice, which was once too many.
Same with sealife, no repeat value for me, just sad fish in glass bxes.