• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Nemesis: Sub-Terra

It used to scare a couple of my family members to be honest. My cousin was so scared that he actually cried. I guess everything's subjective. I liked it, and I also like Thirteen. Nothing wrong with not liking either of them or liking both of them, god forbid anyone having a different opinion.

I’m another one who really likes Thirteen… it’s my 3rd favourite coaster on park behind only Wicker Man and Oblivion, and I think it’s great fun!

I apologise if that’s wrong, and I’ll shut up if it is. However, I’m afraid I can’t control how I feel on rides, and I always find Thirteen a fun ride that I thoroughly enjoy, personally.

I must confess that I never did Sub-Terra due to a personal dislike of actor-led attractions of that vein. I know it sounds stupid, and I apologise for being a bit of a wimp here, but I have somewhat of a phobia of scare actors/costumed characters, and I also don’t particularly like forced participation within attractions, personally. So I didn’t think Sub-Terra would be for me based on what I’d heard about it. I also technically have the excuse that according to the park’s age restriction, I wasn’t old enough to ride it on any of the visits I had when it was open… by the time I went to Towers as a 12 year old, Sub-Terra was closed…

I must confess that I hoped Towers would fill the Sub-Terra space with a dark ride that wasn’t actor-led and had slightly more universal appeal, but if Sub-Terra is returning in some form, I will support that. Any new attraction is good, that area needs all the help it can get in 2023, and it could be a good way to drum up hype for Nemesis reopening. I definitely think Sub-Terra reopening would be a good move if that’s what’s happening, even though I personally wouldn’t ride it.

Sub-Terror was not really actor led. They put actors in at the end, but other than that it was just staff tell you where to go etc. like you get on all sorts of other rides. On the assumption that it does return next year, I would not be at all surprised if the actors at the end did not return.

Sub-Terror was not really actor led. They put actors in at the end, but other than that it was just staff tell you where to go etc. like you get on all sorts of other rides.
It was actor led in as much that the people performing that role were literally performing that role, complete with uniform with interaction beyond that of a batch host on Oblivion, for example.

Depends if you think someone shouting at you to stand on a spot was actor lead 😁

I think Rob means the end section where as an after thought they added actors in a similar way to a Scarefest maze to add extra scares due to complaints about how poor the experience was.

If it were to reopen I doubt they would put the actors back in but I would hope they would add some effects and smoke to the exit tunnel.

Sub-Terror was not really actor led. They put actors in at the end, but other than that it was just staff tell you where to go etc. like you get on all sorts of other rides. On the assumption that it does return next year, I would not be at all surprised if the actors at the end did not return.
So the bollocking I got in the queueline for smirking was for real then was it?
The kids I was with absolutely loved it.

I’m another one who really likes Thirteen… it’s my 3rd favourite coaster on park behind only Wicker Man and Oblivion, and I think it’s great fun!

I apologise if that’s wrong, and I’ll shut up if it is. However, I’m afraid I can’t control how I feel on rides, and I always find Thirteen a fun ride that I thoroughly enjoy, personally.
No opinion on roller coasters is wrong. If someone likes a ride I detest, I will try and see their side of things. For example, I find Olympia Looping highly overrated but can see why most people love it so much. I like TH13TEEN too. Not everything has to be extreme to be fun.

I think there is a difference between operational staff portraying more of a character, and attractions that are led by actors. I would not say that Tower of Terror for example is actor led, but of course the staff do behave in a certain way in keeping with the theme of the attraction. The staff on Sub-Terra, bar the actors in the maze at the end, were doing a similar thing just in a much worse way.

Something like The Dungeons is clearly an actor led attraction.

Why do you keep posting stuff like this? You're fully entitled to enjoy Thirteen are you not? Who are you apologising to and for what reason? I don't understand.
I’ve always felt a bit nervous posting opinions that go against the grain. Some people have very strong opinions and almost seem to imply that certain opinions are fact, and I worry about upsetting them with my hot takes.

As those of you who are familiar with my posting history will be aware, I’ve had a lot of opinions that go against the grain over the years. In some cases, I have been ridiculed over my beliefs and been told explicitly that they are wrong or invalid, which is what makes me somewhat insecure.

Last edited:
I’ve always felt a bit nervous posting opinions that go against the grain. Some people have very strong opinions and almost seem to imply that certain opinions are fact, and I worry about upsetting them with my hot takes.

As those of you who are familiar with my posting history will be aware, I’ve had a lot of opinions that go against the grain over the years. In some cases, I have been ridiculed over my beliefs and been told explicitly that they are wrong or invalid, which is what makes me somewhat insecure.
Firstly there are a good number of 🍆's on here that just like to be 💩y to others. It's not about you, it's about them, their self esteem etc.

E.g. if I see posts I am not interested in, I'll unfollow and ignore it. Others seem to need to come on and demand people don't talk about things that don't interest them! Think about that for a moment! It tells you a lot about how they see the world and their place in it.

Subjective opinion is totally ok. People just get snotty because a subjective opinion that is counter to their own makes them question their own ability to judge. It's a caveman thing, we prefer being consistent to being actually correct. Console fan boy wars is the best example of this in action.

The only time I can see it being an issue is if somebody is pushing something that is objectively wrong. Black and white wrong. E.g. 13 is a B&M.

I always keep out of any political chat on here or anyone cause quite frankly it is a crapstorm. That said, you do get some strong opinions on here on how the park should be run in which given the state the park is in right now is understandable and with Nemesis and Duel, both very beloved rides, getting the biggest overhauls in their lives then there will be very strong feelings on how they should be done and honestly we all have various views on how a ride should be...just that 8 out of 10 we never all get what we want.

I remember in my early days both on TT and here on TS, I did say some pretty stupid things on how the park should go and was, rather bluntly, told to pipe down. Learnt just to keep my head down then though I hopefully add something useful for the chats when need be. For example I like Smiler even though many would rather see it scrapped or that I think Thirteen's outdoor layout is pants yet others are fine with it. No opinion is the same.

God forbid even if the Nemesis and Duel overhauls are a success or even a RMC cross Valley coaster was built you'd still have someone having a grievance over something. Come to think of it, when was the last time the majority of us were positive about something other than Duel's and Nemesis' overhauls being announced?

I remember in my early days both on TT and here on TS, I did say some pretty stupid things on how the park should go and was, rather bluntly, told to pipe down.
Yeah .. that's called gaslighting and is a form of narcissistic bullying.

Gaslighting is making someone believe they said or did something they did not, FYI

Gaslighting

"loosely defined as manipulating someone so as to make them question their own reality"

Which one could argue is exactly what is happening with the quoted comment 😉.

See General techniques of gaslighting > Trivializing RE: the original comment.

Gaslighting

"loosely defined as manipulating someone so as to make them question their own reality"

Which one could argue is exactly what is happening with the quoted comment 😉.

See General techniques of gaslighting > Trivializing RE: the original comment.

It’s a debate for a different thread but general bad behaviour isn’t the same as gaslighting, so someone telling you to “pipe down” isn’t the same. I don’t love comparing enthusiasts banter to a very serious form of abuse either

I always thought Sub Terra was quite a fun ride, if flawed in places.
The fact people feel the need to apologise on here for enjoying a ride is a slightly sad state of affairs to be honest.
Works both ways, you should be able to voice your opinion on a ride whether good or bad. Having a different opinion to someone else isn't bullying either.

1) Your opinion is your opinion and when you are talking about subjective things such as “favourite ride” then there isn’t a right answer.

2) Your subjective opinions can be challenged or questioned, that doesn’t make your opinion invalid but it does create a discussion and that’s what discussion forums are for. Just because people might not always agree with you it doesn’t mean you have to apologise.