• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Nemesis: Sub-Terra

Having different opinions is fine, inferring that people are wrong for liking a particular ride is a particular thoosie habit...
"Oh but if you rode x, you would realise that y is such an inferior ride."
That's just a difference of opinion.

I think your point would be better made if someone said "I think you're an idiot because you prefer this ride over that"

I think a problem with opinions on certain rides among many fans is purely a generational thing and it does lead to, dare I say it, a elite mentality among some of the older generation who grew up with the park during the golden years and even before that and I might feel that they know what's right for better or for worse and often put down the younger ones down on their views which sadly is more of a wider generational rivalry which is all too common in general.

Thing is now that we have a new generation of fans under the age of 25 who grew up with the park during the dark latter half of the Tussauds era in which they might have some fond memories of like Charlie yet ask anyone older than that, then they'll certainly think the total opposite and they might belittle the younger ones on here that their choice on rides is wrong.

Sadly I can be guilty of this too once or twice and if you remember how I said during my younger days I was told to pipe down, now sometimes if I wonder if I'll become like them and carry on the circle. Honestly who is right at the end of the day?

Hello. Long time lurker, first(ish) time poster. Thirteen is a great ride. The drop and backwards transition is smooth and enjoyable. As is the first part. Nothing of any real stature was going to go on to that site due to the height regs and tree preservation orders. It replaced a ride that should have retired 15 years before it did. And for everyone here who has ridden Expedition Everest - be careful what you wish for. Sat at the top of the ride, waiting for the reverse track transition… Lordy. I’ve had more fun sitting in traffic on the M25. It’s not a record breaker, or a world beater - it’s a cracking, fun, enjoyable ride.

Olympia Looping IS bad though.

Right, back to lurking and laughing. Let’s all be friends.

Right, I think it's time we steered this conversation (which seems to crop up a lot these days) back to N:ST.

Thanks.

Sorry. And sorry for the other thing too. I never did ride N:ST. Largely because of the awful name and I would never have forgiven myself. Nemesis was / is lightning in a bottle. I hated the way that Merlin tried to make it some form of franchise (N:ST / Nemesis Inferno, which is a good ride in its own right, but it’s not a patch on its naughty cousin). It’s interesting reading the variety of opinions on N:ST though. If it ever did re-open, I would try it.

I’m off now before I get told off again.

Feel a bit for the people pining for this ride... Then again they're probably the same people that think Thirteen is a good ride.

You can add pre shows, remove and add staff, add WD40 smell pods but the fact remains this always was a lacklustre ride experience.

To be honest I think it says more for the variety of the rides on the park than it does about any individual.

If you want to ride anything other than a coaster and you’re over the age of about 12 then you’ve got an extremely poor rapids ride, a very poor interactive dark ride and a very good but 20 year old Vekoma Madhouse which is often not operational - you then have (or had) an 80s enterprise attraction, a pirate ship and some fairground attractions.

NST is far from perfect but it is, at least, unique interesting and does scare a lot of people. I also don’t think it’s beyond the realms that it could be improved if they installed some better effects (alien was widely lauded yet involved very little actual movement so it’s far from beyond the realms that some more intelligent use of effects and suspense would result in a drastically improved experience).

I appreciate that with or without NST’s return the dark ride offering at Alton finally appears to be moving in a positive direction with the Duel retheme and Project Horizon, but it’s quite easy to see why people pine for the return of the only dark ride installed in the park in the last 20 years which wasn’t designed for children, even accounting for its limitations.

I’d personally love it back, not because I think it’s some incredible ride experience but because it’s something a bit different which will be fun to ride for the 2 days a year I spend at the park. As I said above, the hope is obviously that it would be improved upon which i am absolutely convinced would be possible without introducing new ride hardware.

I think the execution of Sub Terra wasn't anywhere near what it could have been, shown by the need to stick actors in there to enhance the experience. I think it had the potential to be on the level of Alien Encounter but just lacked a few touches of quality.

That said, I did enjoy the ride for what it was and felt it added something which was missing in the park's lineup. I hope if they do indeed bring it back it gets at least some investment to improve the experience.

I'm looking forward to the ride coming back because I have missed it since it's closure but I hope they've learnt a lesson and changed how the ride team interact with guests because it never made sense and just p!ssed 90% of people off.

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but I haven’t 100% kept up with this thread and there is similar talk in the Nemesis one too.

I wouldn’t be surprised if NST goes from being an attraction based on a ‘sequel’ to Nemesis to instead being a ‘prequel’. Essentially NST could in some way be re-worked for 2023 to enhance/re-tell the backstory to Nemesis as a way of building up awareness and hype leading into the reopening in 2024.

I wouldn’t be surprised if NST goes from being an attraction based on a ‘sequel’ to Nemesis to instead being a ‘prequel’. Essentially NST could in some way be re-worked for 2023 to enhance/re-tell the backstory to Nemesis as a way of building up awareness and hype leading into the reopening in 2024.
I definitely could saw the N:ST story easily retconned to explain why Nemesis is closed but the discovery of the eggs in the Nemesis corpse leads to them hatching and the creature being ressurected.

But if the Fireworks promo stuff was anything to go by, they seem to be going down the storyline that the Phalanx has been corrupted and is conducting some sort of experiments on Nemesis, which would also work within the context of N:ST. All that would need be changed is the video/audio content within the building, which is very easily done as Marketing/Entertainments have the resources to do so.

We haven't had conformation they are doing anything yet nevermind any marketing etc.

I don't think it will change all that much tbh when it reopens. I can't see them wanting to take the spotlight off the Haunted House either which is clearly the main focus for 2023.

Also it's a bit of a stretch to call NST a replacement for Dynamo while (although on the same site) Dynamo was removed the best part of a decade before NST opened. There were also some minor attractions on the site in the interim (Lava Lump, anyone?)

I don't think it will change all that much tbh when it reopens. I can't see them wanting to take the spotlight off the Haunted House either which is clearly the main focus for 2023.
If Sub-Terra does reopen, I’d imagine they might make some changes.

The ride will have been shut for 8 years by 2023, so I should think that it may need re-introduction to the average visitor. It only operated for 3 years, and it’s now been shut for the best part of a decade. Not to mention that it was a somewhat poorly received filler attraction rather than a much loved headliner. With that in mind, I shouldn’t think that it left much of a long-lasting legacy during its short lifespan, and I’d wager that the average guest has long since forgotten about it.

Given that the experience would likely need re-selling anyway given how long it’s been closed for, why wouldn’t they take the opportunity to make some changes to it? Even if issues with the restraints were the ultimate reason for its closure, the ride did arguably have some inherent issues from an operational standpoint, so I’d be surprised if the park didn’t try to solve those.

Last edited:
If Sub-Terra does reopen, I’d imagine they might make some changes.

The ride will have been shut for 8 years by 2023, so I should think that it may need re-introduction to the average visitor. It only operated for 3 years, and it’s now been shut for the best part of a decade. Not to mention that it was a somewhat poorly received filler attraction rather than a much loved headliner. With that in mind, I shouldn’t think that it left much of a long-lasting legacy during its short lifespan, and I’d wager that the average guest has long since forgotten about it.

Given that the experience would likely need re-selling anyway given how long it’s been closed for, why wouldn’t they take the opportunity to make some changes to it? Even if issues with the restraints were the ultimate reason for its closure, the ride did arguably have some inherent issues from an operational standpoint, so I’d be surprised if the park didn’t try to solve those.

If it was re-opening and with some significant changes then I imagine we'd have had an announcement or some marketing by now.

I think it will largely be the same ride as previous only with some very minor tweaks.

Why would it need "reintroducing"?
Just open the gates...it is an attraction, an old one.

It was quite popular at the time, it was more that geeks didn't like it, particularly because it took the name nemesis in vain.
It got queues.

It doesn't matter if people have forgotten it, that makes it a new ride, and I don't think it will have many changes, because change costs money, and two other rides in the area are having loads spent.

And, don't forget, it is just the construction staff restroom after all.

If it was re-opening and with some significant changes then I imagine we'd have had an announcement or some marketing by now.

I think it will largely be the same ride as previous only with some very minor tweaks.
My hunch is that it would likely be subtly announced as part of the Nemesis retrack marketing campaign. They've been a bit busy marketing Nemesis' closure for the moment to really think much about Sub-Terra, and any new experience in that space would likely be quite enmeshed with the Nemesis retrack in terms of marketing appeal.
Why would it need "reintroducing"?
Just open the gates...it is an attraction, an old one.

It was quite popular at the time, it was more that geeks didn't like it, particularly because it took the name nemesis in vain.
It got queues.

It doesn't matter if people have forgotten it, that makes it a new ride, and I don't think it will have many changes, because change costs money, and two other rides in the area are having loads spent.

I was under the impression that it had some of the park's lowest guest feedback scores, and it also had some inherent operational difficulties that likely contributed to its lack of reopening, so I'd be surprised if they didn't try to remedy those things if they were to reopen it.

By virtue of the fact it's been shut for 8 years, reopening it would require some expenditure anyway, and things like a new pre-show video and such to reflect a new storyline likely wouldn't cost an awful lot at all. In fact, it could actually save them money in the long run by reducing the amount of staff needed to operate it.

Given the time it's been gone, the poor reviews, the supposed operational pitfalls, and the fact that any reopening of Sub-Terra would likely be heavily enmeshed with the Nemesis retrack in terms of marketing/story, they might as well sell it as a completely new ride rather than revive 2012-2015 Sub-Terra exactly as was. Sub-Terra wasn't overly loved, and if they said "Nemesis Sub-Terra is reopening", I'm not sure it would gain as much traction marketing-wise as "here's a new experience related to Nemesis".

Can you please stop spouting that stupid theory please, Rob. As has already been mentioned, the pre-built site offices and facilities for Nemmy's re-track have been delivered to the staff car parks.