• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Nemesis- The End and Beyond

But, say they did one piece of track every close season, it could work effectively, without causing the ride problems. This would make pretty much the track all new- without having to replace it completely.

Nick said:
But, say they did one piece of track every close season, it could work effectively, without causing the ride problems. This would make pretty much the track all new- without having to replace it completely.

That would be an effective way of doing things, if there was a need to do it (which there isn't - certainly not all of it anyway).

cool_boy_jon said:
Nemesis cannot be in Alton Towers forever and will eventually have to leave. I know that it would probably be a long time before AT eventually remove it...and If they do... what would they do next???

Would they just keep renewing the ride and not replace it for another while to come? Would they remove it and build another, better Inverted coaster? Or will they take a different path and build something completely different to Nemesis.
cool_boy_jon

Just a small question, Why can't Nemesis be in the park forever? If a cloned corkscrew rollercoaster could remain at the park 28 years after it was built, long after it had lost its popularity, then why can't Nemesis stay for another 30. It's never lost its appeal or its popularity.

mark9 said:
cool_boy_jon said:
Nemesis cannot be in Alton Towers forever and will eventually have to leave. I know that it would probably be a long time before AT eventually remove it...and If they do... what would they do next???

Would they just keep renewing the ride and not replace it for another while to come? Would they remove it and build another, better Inverted coaster? Or will they take a different path and build something completely different to Nemesis.
cool_boy_jon

Just a small question, Why can't Nemesis be in the park forever? If a cloned corkscrew rollercoaster could remain at the park 28 years after it was built, long after it had lost its popularity, then why can't Nemesis stay for another 30. It's never lost its appeal or its popularity.

It probably will, the end of Nemesis is not in the foreseeable future thankfully. Even when it was to get to Corky's level of wear (which I would imagine due to B&M quality would be a lot longer than 30 years), I would be and advocate of simply building it again exactly the same in the same space. It's a brilliant coaster and the terrain it uses is unique to it - pretty much nothing else could fill it.

They could probably fit an epic terrain woodie in and around the pit I doubt it would be as good or as successful as Nemesis.

BigAl said:
They could probably fit an epic terrain woodie in and around the pit I doubt it would be as good or as successful as Nemesis.

Not to mention the fact that they would never build a woodie in the first place, especially not to replace Nemesis. In the view of Merlin, that would cause the public to say things like "what's Nemphesis been replaced by that crappy old thing for, blud?"

Track has been replaced.......

Alton Towers in my opinion/guess will keep Nemmy going forever pretty much.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

I've never seen any direct evidence of it personally, but a couple seasons ago there were pictures of one of the supports (I think from the loop) in the car park.

I think a lot of people have said parts like the helix have been replaced.

I think parts of the track have been replaced in the past.

But just parts, not a whole track piece. I'm certain it would be pretty impossible to replace a whole track piece/section. Mainly due to the custom design of the ride.

I know a fair few people on here know what's really be done to Nemesis though so may be someone may come along and shed some more light.

It's actually quite easy to remove sections because rollercoasters are designed to be put together piece by piece and ultimately each section is just held in with bolts. The precise deimensions and technical drawings will have been retained by B&M, so a new section could be fabricated up to to the exact specifications quite easily.

I don't however see any evidence that they have made up a new section and replaced an old one. Even if people know of sections to have been removed, they are probably just jumping to conclusions when they assume it's being scrapped and not inspected/repaired.

I believe someone back on TTF months ago had said that it would be hard or near impossible to replace a whole section of track due to the design and how B&M manufacture their custom designs.

I could be wrong though, there's never been an official word on how these things work.

The only *possible* problem I can envision is that the sections before and after the to-be-replaced section might have changed shape slightly through stress and the installation of a new section made to original specs might not fit quite 'right'.

I'm not to sure about this point but from what I can remember they replaced a bit on the first inversion last year, but I'm sure they have Nemesis details still on record so getting new track would be easy in my eyes

I thought we agreed not to have any of these topics unless there was evidence that the ride would be removed.

Nemesis wont be going anywhere for a long time so we shouldn't worry about it!

Longy said:
I thought we agreed not to have any of these topics unless there was evidence that the ride would be removed.

Nemesis wont be going anywhere for a long time so we shouldn't worry about it!
Good point actually it should be here for years

There's loads of Nemesis technical drawings in the archives actually, we didn't take any photos for publication as obviously they are patent material (and there relatively complex and hard to figure out especially if they had to be compressed for web viewing). Fairly pointless fact :)

I hope nemesis is still around for my children to ride it.And as its a B&M it probably will be! ;D

It could easily last another 20 years at least. The theming may have been left to rot but the ride itself is kept in good nick, it's still immensely popular and B&Ms are bulletproof, so there's no reason why it can't last for decades to come.

In it's current condition Nemesis (As just a coaster) will probably last another 15 years or so. More than 20 I think is pushing it unless there are changes to how the park care for their rides.

In theory, if the park were willing to throw the money at it Nemesis could be made to live on for many many years, replacing components as they are needed. B&M's guarantee covers defects from wear and tear, and manufacturing defects. However, as with any guarantee there are conditions, and B&M's are incredibly tight! They'll void it if they think the park have neglected to follow the care and maintenance procedures laid down by B&M in any way. I believe one of the Six Flags parks found this out the hard way with one of their B&Ms :p

Nemesis' main enemy is itself though! The ride is too forceful in places, and literally wears itself out. The helix is one of the main culprits, as it places so much strain onto both the track and train. I remember hearing something a while back where most Inverts needs their wheels changing every some many months (I think it's 12 or something similar) but Nemmy doesn't even last half as long due to what they are subjected to every day! You only need to take a look at the helix to see where it's had to be patched up over the years (Those black looking burns aren't paint and intentional distressing. It's weld and cut markings!).

Just last year the ride was closed for a day or two while the park repaired a crack in the loop.

The problem is though, on a lot of rides the parks would just weld it up and have done with it. With B&M it's not that simple. Strictly speaking if I remember rightly any form of defect like a crack or break has to be reported to B&M. They will then assess the damage and recommend the repair needed. Sometimes the smaller cracks can be done in the park, by their staff, and B&M will then inspect it and sign the repair off as satisfactory. Sometimes though, B&M will have to perform the repair, and at times like this track can start disappearing for a while, whilst it's sorted out.

There have been a couple of rumours that Nemmy has had track out in its life (Wether they are whole new pieces or repaired old ones which went back in is unknown). The helix, station roll, and loop have all been suspected as being removed at some point, though as I say, it's still a bit of a mystery which were (If any). I'm sure about 5-6 years ago though there was a photo floating around briefly which showed a segment of track removed...

One thing which is certain is the footer work which was done a while back. The area surrounding the loop had to have some of the footers recast and strengthened, as the stress from the ride, coupled by the location and surroundings of them had caused a lot of wear and tear on them.

Poor Nemmy doesn't do herself any favours! Apparently B&M have been quoted as saying they will "never build another like it". Shame really, but at the same time I don't really blame them! :p

If the ride is going to live on though I would hope that the park are going to start throwing a bit of cash at it. Not just for things like a clean and theming repairs, but a total service from top to bottom of the ride. Nemmy is considered to be one of the 'rougher' B&Ms out there, and age has taken its toll on the ride. No level of build quality can ever completely prevent age setting in sooner or later.

In fact, I'd say all the B&Ms at Towers could do with a good once over to bring them all back to their former glory. Oblivion could do with a good clean up of the whole ride and a lick of paint, and Air wouldn't be hurt by a fresh coat of paint, or at least a good jet wash. Apparently, B&M have offered to upgrade Air to improve reliability and bring it up to date with the other fliers out there. It's probably just a case of if Alton are willing to pay for the update (As there's no form of defect this wouldn't be covered by the guarantee).

With a lot of TLC, and a plan for future renewals and replacements Alton could keep Nemmy running for years to come I would hope. The sad thing is though, when its time comes that will more than likely be it. Same for the other two Alton B&Ms. The nature of the ride would make putting it anywhere else an absolute nightmare. It was designed for that plot, and that plot only. It's not as easy as with a car park coaster where you just pick it up and plonk it somewhere else. You would practically have to rebuild all of Nemmy! Plus, can you imagine how bizarre it'd look on a flat plot?! The station would be right up in the air! I already think Blivvy's mirrored clone looks odd enough :p

0rq1c6gqs1gmm10m4o005b.jpg

4tu06lgm38de0g6oo0b280.jpg

The day Nemmy finally goes will be a dark day in theme park history to say the least, and I sure hope that when it finally comes Alton will give it a true send off. Until then, the least the park can do is work their damnedest to keep the ride running for at least another 20 years.