• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Nemesis vs the smiler which ride has a better horror theme?

Nemesis vs the smiler which ride has a better horror theme?

• Nemesis

Votes: 27 65.9%
  • The Smiler

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Both are just as good.

Votes: 5 12.2%

• Total voters
Has anyone made a joke about the Smiler looking an absolute state or the queue being crap yet? No? Excellent! I'll be the original one.

For me its always going to be Nemesis
It has a full back story, literally its amazing (While not greatly original) - it has the comic, videos, original publicity, the iconic station structure and immense theming within the pit.
Even if you didn't know the story you can walk up see the army trucks, weapons and giant rocks around it, add the station, THAT roar and you get the idea theres some fight with a monster going on.

Smiler...
It has no real back story, something something to make you smile, odd medical theming but lightly done. The ride area is essentially barren of any theming just concrete and a few effects which haven't lasted. I realise a few theming elements were removed from the ride following the accident which have diluted the theme somewhat.
Yeah its just too vague and not solid enough to make it very sinister: oblivion is still far more sinister.

Easily Smiler for me.

I personally get no reaction from the theming of Nemesis, other than 'the station looks pretty cool.'

To me they both rely on their centrepieces, either the Marmaliser and the Nemesis Station which both look very good, and Nemesis certainly has a prettier queue.

The entire ambience of the Smiler with the screens, ambience and the crazy machinery on the Marmaliser has stuck with me ever since I first rode in 2013, and nothing comes close to the reaction I got from the theming the first time I rode it. However it has degraded over time and a lot of the effects keep on breaking, hopefully they'll give it some serious TLC as they did with Nemmy.

How could anyone say that The Smiler has a scarier queue? It's literally just black metal mesh walls and concrete floors. That's it.
People usually mean the TV screens, sound/music and the projections, if they're actually working of course.

Last edited:
The key is maintenance. If the themeing contains moving parts, screens and fire effects(!) then they look great, but if you don't maintain them then the whole think looks tatty. I'm not sure if the budget comes from Merlin or from Alton Towers themselves, but it's something that they don't seem to consider.

If they don't want to spend money keeping the themeing in working order then they should just stick to simple static structures that they can repaint every 24 years instead...

The key is maintenance. If the themeing contains moving parts, screens and fire effects(!) then they look great, but if you don't maintain them then the whole think looks tatty. I'm not sure if the budget comes from Merlin or from Alton Towers themselves, but it's something that they don't seem to consider.

If they don't want to spend money keeping the themeing in working order then they should just stick to simple static structures that they can repaint every 24 years instead...
Makes me wonder how long the fire effects on WM will last

The theme concept on The Smiler is wonderful. Really fun, ballsy and intimidating. It’s loud, in your face, garish but also sleek. Announcements like “half way corrected” are really good and threatening. It’s certainly a more creative, and unexpected horror theme; I really appreciate it for that.

BUT... the execution was terrible, which is why I suppose Nemesis does horror better, even if the theme is a bit more bog standard. The Marmaliser was a great idea, and could’ve made the area feel really active, like a proper machine, attacking and indoctrinating you as you go round. Only... it doesn’t actually do anything... Likewise, the indoor queue is a massive missed opportunity. It’s just a metal shed with some always off-centred projection... If it were more like a hospital ward with corridors and things it would’ve been so much more effective... much better than a square open room. The station was also a massive missed opportunity. It’s literally just white with some lights. It’s got the right idea, but clearly not had the money to make it work. Stuff like the “Join Us” voice as the train dispatches are really good, and when the lights come up as well. But the rest of the time it’s just a bit... eh... It’s a shame because it could’ve been so good!

Nemesis’ concept on the other hand it a little more generic I suppose. Sci-fi monster ok yes, yes. But unlike The Smiler it was handled properly with a queue that builds up to the experience, sets the tone properly, a nice, atmospheric station (although those announcements are a bit naff), and a soundtrack that doesn’t make you want to boil your own head. You instantly get what the ride’s going for, it’s dramaric and fun. Wahoo. The same cannot be said for The Smiler...

So I suppose Nemesis does horror better, but only because it was executed properly, compared to The Smiler which was shockingly poor. A shame really, because the concept for The Smiler had the potential to be so much more intimidating.

Last edited:
They each approach horror differently, though I think intimidation is a more appropriate word. Smiler builds the fear in a Hitchcock type way and is actually very clever. The swirly logos, the slightly surreal take on everything, the theme which is designed to be happy, whilst actually being a thin veneer over something more sinister (think Stepford Wives (The brilliant original with Nanette Newman, not the modern abomination with Nicole Kidman), is actually very clever though the budget and upkeep let it down a little.

Nemesis is a work of genius as far as I'm concerned and despite a challenge from two new coasters retains it's crown as the UK's best for me.

It's full on intimidation as soon as you enter the area. The fantastic mix from Holsts The Planets, the three riffs like a stabbing knife, the base that you can feel in your chest and the B and M roar come together to stoke up the intimidation. I don't think it could have been done any better.

Both rides prove what 50 years of horror movies have allready taught us. Atmosphere, build up and encouraging you to use your imagination are way more effective than just plastering gore and easy jump scares over everything.