• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

New Cable-Car for London - Emirates Airline

Islander

TS Member
So, as many know, East London is getting a brand new cable car across the Thames. It will run from North Greenwich (The O2) to the Royal Docks (ExCeL Exhibition Centre).

7211770242_31e6f3a980_z.jpg

Testing has been going on for a while now, and we finally have an opening date: Midday Thursday 28th June :D

A couple more details have been released as well, including opening times: opening at 7am Mon-Fri, 8am Sat and 9am Sun, closing at 8pm October-March and 9pm April-September.

Frequency as we know will be every 30 seconds.

Interesting, though, is the journey time: 10 minutes between 10am and 3pm (unless busy periods dictate otherwise), and 5 minutes at other times.

Very interesting that they're going to vary the speed depending on busyness - I always thought that, as a tourist attraction 5 minutes is a little quick, so it's great that they're varying it accordingly!

I had no idea about this! Will definitely try to go on it when we go for the Olympics in late July :)

Interesting. I'm sure when I travel to the Olympics in August I'll maybe ride on this.

To be fair, I had no idea this was being built lol.

Looks fully operationally from I saw at the hackney weekend

I'm quite keen to see some pictures taken from inside the gondolas. If anybody manages to get on it in the near future please take some for my viewing - I want to admire the view without committing myself to dangling in fear above the Thames.

josht said:
Looks fully operationally from I saw at the hackney weekend

I also saw this, I couldn't help but be incredibly surprised that I hadn't heard about this before. :eek:

It's been testing all day (or at least whenever I saw it from Stratford) - must be testing, as it's not likely to open early :p

Surprised so many people have missed this - it was a fairly big and popular topic on the other forum...

Edit:

Alexsutton said:
I'll be down in London a fair bit through July so I'll have to give this a go, any word on pricing yet?
Yup, full pricing details have been released.

Lots of options (including things like private capsule hire - a cool £86 for a round-trip :eek: ). The three main options, IMO, are as follows.

Normal Tickets:

Adult Single £4.30; Return £8.60
Child Single £2.20; Return £4.40

Oyster PAYG Fares:

Adult Single £3.20
Child Single £1.60

Multi-journey boarding pass:

10 single journeys, to be used within 12 months of purchase: £16

---

^That last one actually seems like rather good value, actually. For less frequent visitors, it seems like a fairly standard TfL affair - Oyster fare is OK, but not cheap, and non-Oyster fare is a rip-off.

God it is expensive.

London...

And I probably could cope on this.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

The prices are not too bad if you compare it to other cable car services around the world.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2

Agreed - I'm pleasantly surprised at the pricing! £16 for 10 trips seems especially good value.

Will have to take a trip over there after work Thursday methinks.

It's really stupid to travel around London without an Oyster Card anyway, so I pretty much disregard the non-Oyster price, just like I don't really take into account people rolling up to Alton and paying full price on the gate. Stupidity tax.

The price is £3.20 for adults, which isn't extortionate.

So if the gondolas were full, they'd be taking around £25.60, approximately every 30 seconds (based on Oyster Adult prices).

I need to get myself a cable car! £££

Twice that - don't forget, a capsule every 30 seconds in each direction.

Plus, I thought each capsule held eight, but the info about private hire suggests they can hold 10...

Considering that the standard adult Oyster tube fare in Zone 1 is £2.40, it doesn't seem that much more expensive, but my guess is that it's probably been increased enough to discourage regular use for commuting - it does seem far more like a tourist attraction than a viable method of transport.

Jordan said:
...my guess is that it's probably been increased enough to discourage regular use for commuting - it does seem far more like a tourist attraction than a viable method of transport.
Quite the opposite, given the £16 for 10 trips ticket - that's very good value.

They also have an offer whereby if you use the system more than five times in one week, you'll get a 50% refund for those trips the following week to your Oyster card.

They're aiming squarely at the commuter market, possibly moreso than the tourist market.

I think that's just trying to pick up a few bob of extra trade from commuters. I think to suggest that a massive, beautifully sculptured cable-car across the River Thames isn't mostly for tourists/leisure purposes is a tad naive.

My dad was just talking about this, interesting outside perspective. He asked me where it was, and was very surprised to hear it's way out in the docklands. He had presumed it was near the London Eye, or at least between Big Ben and Tower Bridge. As he said, surely you can't really say many interesting things from that location, just shiny new buildings and the O2.