• ā„¹ļø Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

New Forum Bug Reports

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Ok, so the switcher is very complicated and confusing (trust me, it took us a good while to get our heads around it when implementing it šŸ˜‚). Bare with me, thereā€™s a few things to explain here.

Firstly, the theme setting is not stored against your account or synced across your devices. Itā€™s stored as a cookie on a device-by-device basis. So if your phone is set to dark and your Mac is set to light, thatā€™s why youā€™ll see different themes on each one by default.

By default the forum does however try to detect your deviceā€™s UI preference, and will select the correct theme according to this. However, this check doesnā€™t happen until after the cookie has been read/generated and stored.

The ā€œdefaultā€ theme for the forum is the light mode, as something has to be set as a default. When you open the forum on your device, the first step is to check if thereā€™s a cookie for light/dark preference set as part of the session. If there isnā€™t, itā€™ll first load in default light mode. After that thereā€™s then sometimes a slight delay of a second or two while the theme switcher checks your deviceā€™s dark/light preference. Itā€™ll then switch to dark mode if needed and store this value in the cookie, but that slight delay in loading can be why you sometimes see it change a moment after first opening. Like I say though, this step will only usually happen if thereā€™s no cookie found or matches. Cookie = Step 1. Preference check = Step 2. If the cookie hasnā€™t changed it skips over step 2.

With me so far? Cause this is now where it starts to get weirdā€¦

The theme is ā€œautomaticā€ unless you decide to manually override it via the theme switcher in the footer, by switching the forum to light on your dark UI device (or vice versa). When you change it here the cookie is updated to say ā€œalways load in dark mode, even if the device says itā€™s preference is lightā€.

However, if you go into the switcher and set the theme back to match your deviceā€™s UI (E.G. macOS is set to dark and you set the forum to dark), it will also set the forum back to auto detect at the same time. So if you then changed macOS to light, the forum would change to light too.

Another way to think of it is that the forum follows your device setting, unless you specifically override it to the inverse theme on that device. If that makes sense?.. It made more sense in my head than it seems to written down šŸ˜‚

Itā€™s odd though if itā€™s changing sporadically for you. Can you confirm for me @Rick what your UI is set to on each of the devices you listed, and what theme the forum goes to on each one?

Could I add that I have found this whole topic fascinating.
Haven't understood a word, but entertaining none the less.
It is always dark in the cave, no issues here.

Yup working fine in Chrome and Safari here. What browser are you using? Does the issue happen in Incognito Mode/Private Browsing mode? It would seem something in the browser is blocking it, although not sure on what the icon is.

I am using Microsoft Edge, the issue happens on InPrivate mode, hovering over the icon gives a "The connection was reset" message. I am going to try firing up Chrome.
Edit: Chrome also doesn't work giving a similar error message

Hmm I've tried 3 different devices, including Microsoft Edge and three different internet connections and all are working fine. Must be a local issue at your end or with your ISP I think!

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.