• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

New RMC Concept - TRex Track

More Raptor track has been built at RMC's factory, with trains.

thumb_raptor_13.jpg

It's since been painted, and the painters found some "Raptor eggs"!

19437631_1362403330463450_7181066005814290420_n.jpg

19420632_1362403333796783_3286672805622207422_n.jpg

Credit to RMC on Facebook.

So they've sold one at least then. Looks interesting, could this be the start of a new trend of single rail coasters?

My only concern is - and I suppose it's a big concern for big parks like Six Flags - is throughput. The train only holds 8 people o_O

For smaller parks I can see these being snapped up as the cost of materials are going to be cheaper and a lower throughput isn't such a bigger deal for smaller parks.

Interesting that parks in Texas also got the first Iron Horse and Free Spin. I wonder who or what is driving that.

We having a sweepstake as to whether it will open on time? Lightning Rod is still fairly hit and miss.

We having a sweepstake as to whether it will open on time? Lightning Rod is still fairly hit and miss.

One would assume the contractor for the launch on Lightning Rod is not being used on this! ;)

Throughput is clearly going to be a big concern with this, 8 people per train on a new coaster is awful. I'm looking forward to seeing RMC's TRex Track more than their Rapid Track.

:)

They're gonna have to start producing 2x wide trains to really compete for two reasons. First is capacity, second is people wanting to ride next to each other creating valuable on-ride photo opportunities. I'm sure I recall the prototype being 2x seating? Maybe this coaster is just designed this way, for some odd reason...

There's two styles. The Raptor track, which is what is being built has the inline seating. The T-Rex track is much bigger and seats 2 across.

T-Rex track:
0SRIcIb.jpg

And Raptor track:
raptor-train.jpg

So the one thats saving the materials is the raptor track? The T-Rex is just a filled in 2 rail track effectively. If only they could combine them, then it would be truly revolutionary. ;)

I think the T-Rex is meant to be essentially self-supporting, so it doesn't require as many supports as other coasters, making it less expensive. Could be wrong though

If you want to deliver a certain ride experience, sometimes you have to lower your focus on capacity. If you want to give your guests a 4D experience, you either have to stump up £20m+ for a maintenance nightmare in the form of an Arrow designed S&S built behemoth, or you have to go to Intamin or S&S for a much smaller ride, with (in theory) less capacity.

Plus, an important point gets lost in the fog in the capacity discussion. You're still adding to the capacity of your park with rides like this. Granted they removed a ride for this, but they could have opted to have built nothing, as Six Flags has done so more than once in the past.

Wild Mouse at the Pleasure Beach can shift 120 people an hour if each car takes one person, but their overall park capacity is better with it than without it.

Wild Mouse at the Pleasure Beach can shift 120 people an hour if each car takes one person, but their overall park capacity is better with it than without it.
At the moment it wouldn't get that many even if they had 2 in each car, we were discussing at the weekend whether they may as well just remove it since the capacity is so appalling these days.

Plus, an important point gets lost in the fog in the capacity discussion. You're still adding to the capacity of your park with rides like this. Granted they removed a ride for this, but they could have opted to have built nothing, as Six Flags has done so more than once in the past.

While this is true ridership is a better measure than overal capacity. Ridership being the number of rides each guest can expect to get on each day. A low capacity ride will decrease this number, even if the overal park capacity has increased.

Let me give an example; When the Jungle Coaster closed at Legoland Windsor the average number of rides a guest could expect to get on went up. This was because the ride routinely had a very long queue. If a guest decided to join that queue they were effectively losing 2 hours of their day. Hence they would get on less rides, even if guests that forced themselves not to ride it would get on more. That last point is important because it explains why a non-headline ride can have a low capacity. It's not a must ride and so will never generate a horrendous queue.

For this reason I find it strange they've chosen to go for the Raptor Track over the T-Rex. This will be a major headline ride at a large park. The capacity could be an issue. Of course if the T-Rex track isn't ready it would make more sense.