• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

New RMC Concept - TRex Track

Thought this looked amazing until I realised it's the inline seat version. Less throughout than a Eurofighter on a ride of this scale is going to be nasty.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Let me give an example; When the Jungle Coaster closed at Legoland Windsor the average number of rides a guest could expect to get on went up.
It depends if they would have chosen to stand in the heinous line that the ride always had. When the ride was removed, the folk that would have been in that line were spread across all the other lines making them longer?

If you have 20 rides that move 500 people an hour, 10,000 riders enjoy a ride each hour (some of the 10,000 will be the same people, if the same person rides multiple rides). If you take one ride out, 9,500 riders enjoy a ride each hour.

But that is assuming each ride has an identical length queue.

Here is another example; Several years ago I visited Thorpe Park at Fright Nights. The park was rammed to capacity meaning every major ride and scare maze had a 2 hour plus queue. Personally I've been to Thorpe Park before so I decided not to ride any of the Coaster. I stuck to short wait rides like the rapids with the odd scare maze completing my day, and therefore managed to get on about 10 rides. However that was only because I forced myself not to join a 2 hour plus queue. Your average guest would not do that as they have come to Thorpe Park to ride the big rides. As such they would have only got on about 5 rides in what was a 12 hour day.

Let's imagine that on that day one of the low capacity scare mazes had suddenly had to close. All of those people would have joined the queue for other rides but not evenly. Let's say 100 went to each Coaster. This would increase the queue but a ride like Nemesis Inferno could easily get through 100 people in 10 minutes, therefore not dramatically increasing the queue length. However 50 extra people joining the queue for Samuri would make a big difference as it would take multiple ride cycles to clear them, roughly 20 minutes longer wait.

Hence my ridership would have dropped because rides that had shorter queue were now significantly longer. But for the average guest that would have chosen to enter that scare maze had it been open they could have got on more because they'd queued an hour to get on Samuri* rather than 2 to walk through a maze.

Sometimes to offer the best guest experience it pays to remove a noteworthy ride if it's underperforming. From a business perspective most parks hit capacity because they run out of parking space before they hit the maximum ride capacity. Drop the maximum cappacity by a few hundred and it won't effect how many people they let in. Merlin seem to love removing low cappacity rides with no replacement so it can't be effecting them too badly :(

* That's an exaggeration, Samuri easily reaches an hour even with everything working but you get the idea.

Last edited:
For this reason I find it strange they've chosen to go for the Raptor Track over the T-Rex. This will be a major headline ride at a large park. The capacity could be an issue. Of course if the T-Rex track isn't ready it would make more sense.

I don't know for sure but I think/imagine that you are right in saying that TRex Track is not yet ready. RMC have a fully working prototype of their Raptor Track and it is probably seen as the concept that leads into TRex Track. Hopefully we will see some TRex Track coaster in the next fews years, Six Flags will no doubt be a key customer for them again.

:)

Reactions: Tim
@Tim I agree with bits of what you said, but I think you over simplify some realities - especially that most queues manage themselves. If people get to a ride with a 120+ minute queue, it typically does not continue to get longer infinitely. Plus, if the park is offering a unique ride experience and people wish to queue three hours for it... let them.

Let's continue the debate somewhere else, instead of highjacking this thread?

I am still a little lost on the marketing for this ride. The uniqueness seems like a tough sell.

Reactions: Tim
@Tim I agree with bits of what you said, but I think you over simplify some realities - especially that most queues manage themselves. If people get to a ride with a 120+ minute queue, it typically does not continue to get longer infinitely. Plus, if the park is offering a unique ride experience and people wish to queue three hours for it... let them.

Let's continue the debate somewhere else, instead of highjacking this thread?

I am still a little lost on the marketing for this ride. The uniqueness seems like a tough sell.
I agree with queue self regulating, and most of your points for the record. I just know of a few low capacity rides that can negatively affect a guests day, even if the ride is good.

I think this is relevant because the Raptor Track at the wrong park could prove too popular. But I'll also agree we've said all that needs to be said here.

I wonder how much this is costing Six Flags with the track being so tiny? Could that be yet another reason to go with Raptor over T-Rex?

Mack tried to build a single rail coaster once, didn't go very well. This was before their coasters were held in such regard.

flat,800x800,070,f.jpg

WW has a guesstimates throughput of 240. They'd have to dispatch every 30 seconds to get anything decent. You need a layout similar to a Maurer spinner with blocks to get anything remotely decent

So Six Flags are falsely marketing a world's first?
I guess. In their defence, it has typically been permissible to call ng something a world first if you're building the first model of something. Alton had Air marketed as the first flying coaster, but it was like the 5th or something?

Plus, it depends on how you define single rail. Caripro built a ton of single rail suspended rides? Whatever, it's largely academic.

So, what do you do if you are the owner of a company who manufactures rollercoasters? Build one in your own garden/yard of course!

Coeur d'Alene Press said:
Fred Grubb’s granddaughters are headed for the ride of their lives — in Grubb’s front yard. Grubb, who owns the Rocky Mountain roller-coaster manufacturing firm in Hayden, plans to construct a personal coaster this summer that’s 100 feet tall at its tallest point, will move as fast as 52 mph and has a 90-degree dive next to his home just south of Silverwood Theme Park.

"It’s eccentric, but I want to build it for my grandkids and I wouldn’t be in the business if my team and myself weren’t a little eccentric," Grubb said, adding that he has granddaughters who are 10, 7 and 6. "This has always been in the back of my mind, and my grandkids are tall enough to ride a coaster now. It’s like building a big swimming pool, except I’m in the roller coaster business."

The "Raptor" coaster, which will have four seats, will be built just off Old Highway 95 west of U.S. 95. Grubb declined to say how much the coaster will cost to build. The coaster is 1,800 feet long and the ride time is 66 seconds.

The family declined to release the names of the girls for security reasons, but the eldest said, "My sisters and I are so excited to have an actual roller coaster to ride at our papa’s house. We are so lucky to have a papa who wants to do this for us. We cannot wait for our friends to ride it with us."

Grubb said it’s doubtful the coaster will be seen from U.S. 95. He said it won’t be loud and it will be painted to blend in with the environment. Grubb owns the 14 acres to the north of the property and 10 acres to the south, so there are no neighbors in the immediate vicinity. "I don’t want it to be intrusive," he said. "I want it to look nice. It will be a form of art."

David Callahan, Kootenai County’s community development director, said there’s nothing in the county’s code that prevents Grubb from moving ahead as long as it’s for private, not commercial, use.

However, Callahan said he wanted to give county commissioners a heads up Monday on the project since it’s "unusual." "This has got to be one for the record books, but there is nothing in the county books that says, ’no,’" Callahan said. "He’s probably one tenth of 1 percent of the population who can afford to do something like this."

Rocky Mountain has built roller coasters for theme parks around the world, including Silverwood’s "Tremors," "Timber Terror," and "Aftershock."

Commissioner Marc Eberlein called the project "fascinating." When Callahan revealed a rendering of the coaster to commissioners, the board was in awe. "It’s a pretty significant deal," Callahan said. Commissioner Bob Bingham quickly replied: "I’ll say."

Callahan said Grubb has signed an affidavit recorded in the county land records that states the coaster will not be used commercially on his property.

Grubb said the roller coaster may be on his property several years, but he may sell it in the future.

It will be built on Rocky Mountain’s newly developed concept of a single track, unlike double tracks of other coasters, and riders will ride as if they are on a motorcycle or horse. "We can build these about 45 percent less than comparable mega coasters and we can do sharper corners," he said, adding that the coaster will be built to industry safety standards. Grubb said the coaster will take just six to seven weeks to construct.

Source

Got to admit that is pretty cool!

:)