• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

New Shrek and friends Merlin Attraction for County Hall London

Re: New 'unknown' Merlin Attraction for County Hall London

Looking through the plans this does look a lot like a Dungeon style attraction with a ride at the beginning and end, lots of small rooms and a mirror maze halfway though. The opening attraction in the rotunda looks a lot like Vengance, with screens built all around it for projection (doesn't look like will be able to see the rotunda as ride surrounded by screens).

The sea life entrance will move up the steps, but the ticket counter doesn't look like it will move, just the queue, will still cross the shark tank then take lifts down into sea life. New attraction takes over the cafe that is next to sea life and some of the sea life entrance area, then goes to lifts up to first floor where ticket office will be.

If it only takes 400 an hour as others state it will have long waits to enter the same as a dungeon. Merlin would almost be better offering timed tickets only. So if booked in advance arrive at time give. Or it buying on the day then you choose from the times left, so no queuing for hours.

Sam said:
I've submitted an objection to this planning application, and I strongly urge anybody who cares about this area of London to as well. It's not that I don't want to see this attraction open. I am happy to see it open, but only on the condition that Merlin do something to mitigate the congestion and the clutter that this will worsen.

Here's what I wrote:

That area of the South Bank has become an utter nightmare ever since Merlin Entertainments moved the London Dungeons there. Right at the heart of the city, pretty much 200m away from the very epicentre of the country, Merlin have turned the beautiful waterfront into a congested gauntlett.

While bad before, since the Dungeons, the congestion in that area has become intolerable, including all the paraphernalia that goes with it, the food stands and the actors and the ticket sellers and whatever other rubbish they have cluttering up that area.

It is already bad enough, and it cannot be allowed to get any worse, unless they take steps to relieve the congestion. Moving the entrances of the Dungeons and the Aquarium indoors for example, into a grand 'Merlin lobby' would at least go some way to relieve this beautiful area of the capital from being the tourist-rammed clogged up nightmare that it is today thanks to Merlin Entertainments.

This area of London has become a misery. I may not live in London, but I am a frequent visitor and it is my capital city. You should not be letting this huge company get away with whatever they want without forcing them to take steps to mitigate the congestion outside by moving the attraction entrances into the building.

I disagree with all of this. That area was congested ever since the London Eye opened, has always been full of dodgy stalls and exhibitions. I think there are less people selling tickets outside since Dungeon took over from the old horror themed thing and now the Movieum has closed too that means even fewer ticket hawkers.
From the plans of this new attraction Merlin actually seem to be going to get rid or take over more of the external kiosks so there will be less shops selling tat to tourists.

I don't think this new attraction can make the congestion any worse, should improve it by moving more sea life queue indoors and rearranging the entrances.

jon81uk said:
Sam said:
I've submitted an objection to this planning application, and I strongly urge anybody who cares about this area of London to as well. It's not that I don't want to see this attraction open. I am happy to see it open, but only on the condition that Merlin do something to mitigate the congestion and the clutter that this will worsen.

Here's what I wrote:

That area of the South Bank has become an utter nightmare ever since Merlin Entertainments moved the London Dungeons there. Right at the heart of the city, pretty much 200m away from the very epicentre of the country, Merlin have turned the beautiful waterfront into a congested gauntlett.

While bad before, since the Dungeons, the congestion in that area has become intolerable, including all the paraphernalia that goes with it, the food stands and the actors and the ticket sellers and whatever other rubbish they have cluttering up that area.

It is already bad enough, and it cannot be allowed to get any worse, unless they take steps to relieve the congestion. Moving the entrances of the Dungeons and the Aquarium indoors for example, into a grand 'Merlin lobby' would at least go some way to relieve this beautiful area of the capital from being the tourist-rammed clogged up nightmare that it is today thanks to Merlin Entertainments.

This area of London has become a misery. I may not live in London, but I am a frequent visitor and it is my capital city. You should not be letting this huge company get away with whatever they want without forcing them to take steps to mitigate the congestion outside by moving the attraction entrances into the building.

I disagree with all of this. That area was congested ever since the London Eye opened, has always been full of dodgy stalls and exhibitions. I think there are less people selling tickets outside since Dungeon took over from the old horror themed thing and now the Movieum has closed too that means even fewer ticket hawkers.

This is true. I'm not a fan of Merlinbankment myself, but at least what they have is largely conveniently and tastefully presented.

+1 for it being a congested gauntlet ever since the Eye originally opened...

That said, it isn't always hellish... And I can't really see this new attraction in itself particularly dragging hundreds of more people in a similar fashion to the Dungeons doing so (depending on what it is, but I would imagine that this is designed to further increase takings from tourists and what-not)...

It's no worse than the usual tourist areas in London though, indeed, trying to walk across Westminister Bridge to get there (like I did last week to pick up my MAP) was more of a burden...

I agree, that area is actually fairly quiet when it isn't a weekend/holiday/summer. (I should know I study at a nearby College) Queues are a big problem however. On a peak day, there is just not enough space or queue line to contain them, and they end up blocking the paths. However Westminster Bridge is so much worse. Especially with poundshop masked pricks trying to take my wallet.

That whole area is horrific and it's not just down to Merlin. The south bank is a tourist trap disaster, Westminster Bridge (as others have mentioned) is an absolute nightmare and the area outside County Hall on a busy day is almost unbearable.

I would hope that some sort of queue mitigation is placed upon Merlin but it's an unfortunate nature of the beast in terms of how little path space there is in front of the building itself.

Sent from Tapatalk.

I thought of an idea what it could possibly entail. It currently is going to be a similar sort of attraction to the London Dungeon, with a few rides, show rooms and a mirror maze. A thought just hit me what could be a possible world first? Possibly the worlds first living museum. Sounds a bit crazy but something a bit like Night in the museum, where you first go in and then everything starts coming to life, and a story plays through the entire attraction, slightly like Mystic Manor at Disneyland HK as in the monkey lets a spell out of the bag. Could work in the space and could easily be changed to fit in around seasons etc. Just an idea that came to me, probably something completely different!

There will be: "several interactive audio visual shows within the rooms, with a 4D interactive ride proposed for the rotunda area. An interactive cinema show is also proposed to end the visitor experience...there will also be emphasis on actors and props to enhance the overall experience, similar to the London Dungeons attraction."

That 4D ride has to Vengeance surely, especially as it's proposed to be surrounded by screens? I'm interested to see what this could be like, it was also stated that "the attraction benefits from being a relatively low light experience."

Something historical or paranormal themed possibly?

There's nothing they can really do with South Bank.. Queens Walk is a public right of way, everything on there needs to be temporary so the best you'd get is queuelines.

The pathway will be busy new attraction or not. It's a main feature of london.

Sooo, just read some of the docs:

bLuj5Wi.png

Looks like nobody needs worry about visitors cramming the path with queues... They won't be able to.

The figure of 1 1/2 hours is almost certainly an underestimate too, as there's presumably going to be a priority queue which will reduce the speed of the main queue.

When Merlin build anything new at Towers, they are forced to also refurbish part of the ruins so that by making profit out of a listed building, they are also obliged to make a small contribution to that building, which is party owned by all of us - the public.

Why don't Lambeth Council have the balls to ask them to do the same thing?

To be fair they haven't granted permission yet, so it's possible there may be some conditions attached if it is approved.

I have a feeling this might be a BBC attraction of some sort...

Imagine BBC World; an interactive land based on all the popular TV shows... I think it could work! Who knows... it's very mysterious.

Doctor Who experience?

Scene-by-scene Dungeons style, with various effects, followed by a Tardis simulator through space? Would work very well...

Yeah I'm feeling something BBC like coming along. Not sure about Doctor Who as that type of experience has definitely been done before.

Maybe just a generic BBC experience? That could work in a similar way to the Dungeons, with each segment being based on a popular show at the time.

Extremis - The Reichenbach fall anyone :p

Doctor Who could be possible. The current site for the exhibition in Cardiff is due to remain until 2017 (unless they decide to keep it beyond that) so creating a new attraction in London could work well - especially with the rising international interest on the show (coincides well with tourists visiting London).

Maybe each room could be an 'adventure'?

Quetzal said:
Maybe just a generic BBC experience? That could work in a similar way to the Dungeons, with each segment being based on a popular show at the time.

...culminating in the ultimate horror, what every true Briton dreads... you walk onto the set of The One Show.

Whatever they do have planned, it would seem as though it is definitely intended to be a 'focal' attraction of County Hall. Considering they're shifting SEA-LIFE's entrance over from the centre and making this attraction the only thing in the middle - including with a large logo on the centre of the building - it must show that they think it will be big.

I did wonder where Vengance was going to end up. Merlin are very good at this eco thing and not wasting any money.