• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

New Shrek and friends Merlin Attraction for County Hall London

Re: New 'unknown' Merlin Attraction for County Hall London

Does it NEED an IP though? You can put anything in that location and people will visit because unsurprisingly, it's one of the most popular tourist destinations in the capital...

Clearly, imagination gets thrown out of the window after being strangled to death by money at Merlin Towers, why else would they use a dead franchise to 'entice' people to come to County Hall, when there's plenty of stuff there?

There's just so much stuff they could do, hell the Shakespeare attraction sounded a good, unique and more importantly suitable themed attraction for something in the heart of London... Shrek? Couldn't be more the opposite...

So they could have done a nice originally themed British style attraction but instead they've gone for an American IP. We shouldn't be surprised, they've clearly been desperate to strike up a deal with Dreamworks and Shrek for a number of years now.

Obviously they wanted a new midway brand to add to their current line up so I guess that's one reason they didn't go for something specifically suited to London and Britain. A shame really though.

:)

Well this'll look brilliant right opposite the Palace of Westminster, home of our nation's democracy.

Whereas the Eye is a respectable and beautiful landmark in London, the aquarium is educational, and the Dungeons at least has a connection to London, this is just mindless tosh, airlifted and dumped into central London from some crass American shopping mall where it belongs.

Build it in Bluewater, the Trafford Centre, anywhere, but not here. The planning application is still open. Please take the time to make an account so you can register your comments.

Just why the world needs six new Shrek attractions when that franchise died before they even finished the last movie, I have no idea. I'm pretty sure the young audience that liked Shrek would have grown up and lost all interest long ago.

Yeah, Shrek isn't exactly new or current either. Is there really that big a market for a Shrek attraction to be popular for a long period of time? Their research must have said yes but I'm not overly convinced. It doesn't excite me at all.

Shrek is old now, i very much doubt it has the energy to drive a midway that will need a fair few years operation to make its investment back .

Smacks of a lack of imagination, but it's not surprising with Merlin.

Rob said:
Yeah, Shrek isn't exactly new or current either. Is there really that big a market for a Shrek attraction to be popular for a long period of time? Their research must have said yes but I'm not overly convinced. It doesn't excite me at all.

The same market research which churned out the MAP Drinks Holder results?

I can tell you why they have gone for it... Because it's cheap... Who would pay more than you need to get a dead, popular IP. Dreamworks won't mind giving rights for half of what they could of years ago. More money for them right?

It will also pull people in so they will be in the money here.. still... Terrible idea

Just what exactly can you do with Shrek anyway? How can you make a whole midway out of it? The retheme of a few rides is one thing (just slap a few stickers on them), but a whole attraction?

With the mention of other characters from unrelated dreamworks IPs I see this as being like a cartoon Madame Tussards, with a big Shrek part.

And crap.

I really don't think this will work. Perhaps it's a filler until they can come up with something better - I somehow doubt it though...

What a bizarre IP to choose. 4 years since the fourth and final film was released... it's hardly an IP to rave about in 2015.

I cannot see this attraction working out well at all.

Well, this is disappointing. They could have at least chosen an IP that is relevant to the UK, and especially London. Shrek is fairly old-hat now, the first two films were good but since then they just milked the franchise to death.

As for the other Dreamworks characters, they aren't exactly memorable.

The musical is still doing ok although there is no way of knowing how well it'll be doing come 2015. This does smack of someone from Merlin visiting the west end seeing the Shrek musical and then remembering they had a relationship with Dreamworks.

I thought the musical had ended, now replaced by Charlie and the Chocolate Factory?

This seems really bizarre to me.

It's touring next year around the country, as far as I know.

My bad, maybe they should change it to a Charlie and the chocolate factory themed attraction. They have a good track record with that particular IP don't they??

What worries me is that the reports seems to suggest they are planning to roll these out across the country. Whilst it may be better than another fish tank I would probably prefer more Tussauds and/or Dungeon midways.

I think they will roll them out around the world, rather than the UK. It seems a rather strange choice, for an IP that is old and not that popular, must have got it cheap! What else do Dreamworks do? Would make more sense to have a Dreamworks themed attraction that can be changed with no films all the time.

I bet we will see these Shrek places appear next to other Merlin attractions around the world. Maybe there will also be one at Manchester? They will all be produced to look the same which will save money!

Such a weird and presumably cheap choice for an IP. Surely you'd be after Despicable Me or How To Train Your Dragon at this stage? Or even Doctor Who, as suggested.