• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Nightfall's Stuff

Tim

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Air / Blue Fire
Welcome to TowersStreet's own topic for me to show-off whatever I've been working on.

Some of you might be wondering why this topic is called Nightfall's Stuff when that is no longer my forum username. It's simple really, I'm still uploading my rides under the Nightfall name even though I'm happy to be known here by my real name.

Let's begin by showing off the sets I have made which are already available.

Available Now:

The Hollow Tree

Hollow%20Tree%20Overview.jpg

One of my first unique sets. This was designed for Diogo's Blithering Lodge (Luke's Eurofighter) but was later adapted for other ride types.

The Set Includes:
+ The tree's base
+ A base section without the roots
+ A 4m high trunk section
+ A 1m high trunk section
+ The Critter Hole ;)
+ A broken top section
+ and the head chopper branches

This set was updated to improve the tree's appearance and use 1/4 tile placement.

Download

Nightfire: Diving Coaster
medium_713_28_02_12_1_27_59_0.png

Despite being one of my earliest CTR’s the Nightfire was only recently released. Originally intended for a March Garden’s megaproject this is the only part that has yet seen the light of day. The ride is a combination between B&M’s Diving Machine and Mack’s Blue Fire.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa8CF7YFAEc&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_291872[/youtube]

This ride is special for many reasons. The zero cart means it’s the only Diving Coaster that looks realistic if it is launched. The seating is staggered in 3 different directions; this means the ride has an optimum of 13 seats. The restrains are completely unique and include Blue Fire style heart monitors.

Download

LEGOLAND Driving School

Basic%20Driving%20School%20Layout.jpg

A recreation of LEGOLAND's famous Driving School. Using Revolutionary Ride's invisible track and an off-centred car design makes this CTR unlike anything else.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgGidDezVYg[/youtube]

The Set Includes:
! 4 LEGOLAND CTR Cars
! 1 General CTR Car
! My Steam CTR Car (CTR_SteamCar)
& The Driving School Basic Set:
+ A Crossroad
+ Small 45D Turn Right
+ Small 45D Turn Left
+ Small 90D Turn
+ A Roundabout
+ The Roundabout's Centre
+ A Straight piece of road
+ An angled Straight piece of road
+ A T Junction
+ No Wait Lines
+ No Stopping Lines
+ A Static Billind Car
+ A Static Windsor Car
+ A Static California Car
+ A Static Deutschland Car
+ A Static General Car
+ A Static Steam Car

and a pre-made track Basic Driving School for getting started.

This set was updated recently to include the new cars listed above.

Download

Remember to install Revolutionary Ride's Invisible Track first:
RR's Invisible Track Download

The Nightflight B&M Wingrider

Nightflight%201.jpg

You've probably heard about this set. If not why now! Nightflight was the first recreation of a B&M Wingriider in RCT3 and my most popular set.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PruvT-2Q1-I[/youtube]

Download

Look out for The Swarm Skin for the B&M Wingrider. Coming soon...

Nightfall’s Words

Nightfalls%20Words.jpg

A full alphabet of words designed to conform to a selection of signposts from some of my earlier sets. This set is far from perfect but functional.

Nightfalls%20Words%20Example.jpg

Download

Old Sets:

The LDT: Lay-Down Tilt

This was my earliest piece of custom content. A very glitch lay-down coaster with a title section.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ENaXOfiXAE[/youtube]

Th13teen's Entrance

Th13teen%20S1.jpg

This was the first true set I made, based on Th13teen's entrance. There is a released version of this but I've since been trying to improve it before a proper release. The Van has been updated and the entrance sign is likely to become part of the next Word's set.

TT@10

TTLogo01.jpg

A sign I made for TTF's 10th Birthday. Still available from the link on TTF (follow the link at the bottom of this post) although it's pretty dam useless now :(

Note: Most of the Old Stuff is still available for download here

Current Projects:

S&S Free Fly

FreeFlyTest1.jpg

This was a very basic prototype for my own version of the S&S's Free Fly. I didn't get too far into modelling it because Revolutionary Rides released their own not long after I started this. However my design was going to be different.

FreeFlyTest2.jpg

Firstly unlike RRs solid model each cart was made up of 3 separate parts. This meant the seats were at a different angle to the train’s body and so pitched like the real ride does. You’ll notice how all 3 parts are at different angles in the image above.

The second difference was more important. I had been trying to design it as close to real life as possible and wanted the cart to have that realistic swing as it turned around the corners. Here’s a diagram of what I mean:

FreeFly%20Example.jpg

The left arrow represents the car turning to the right. As the car leans to the right the inside arm is forced down and the outside arm rises. Watch this video for a visual explanation

Unfortunately I never could get it to work perfectly in game as the image below shows. For this reason it's unlikely to make a comeback but I like showing it off when I get the chance.

FreeFlyFail.jpg

The Ultimate

Ultimate12.jpg

This nifty CTR is very nearly finished. Created for Rupert’s (formally known as captain) ultimate Ultimate recreation.

What else can I say...

Shot0389.jpg

Egyptian Stuff

Egypt1.jpg

Used for Fissure Lake’s Obelisk this is a collection of Egyptian related objects.

The Set Currently Includes:
+ A base, head, 4m high and 1m high coulomb pieces
+ Two completely black void pieces (edge and corner)
+ A set of Egyptian slabs.

And there is still quite a bit more planned...

This set also includes an animated snake which due to popular demand shall be released separately soon.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81Gs2X6Pc-g[/youtube]

Panels

This project has been under development for a very long time but the end is not even in sight. However if you just watch this investment opportunity video you’ll see why this set is worth waiting for:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeTCQt-NSs4[/youtube]

The Set Currently Includes:
+ Floor, Roof and Wall Panel's (no base)
+ Floor, Roof and Wall Mexican Wave Panel's
+ Floor, Roof and Wall Two Punch Panel's
+ 1 Floor Panel which rises by a height of 2
+ 1 Floor Panel which leans at a 45 degree angle
+ 1 set of steps (still needs work)
+ 1 1/4 size Crusher
+ 1 full size Crusher from the roof

And that I believe is everything :)
Consider yourself up-to-date.

Useful Links:

Link to my YouTube channel's custom content playlist, this'll remain up to date with all future releases:Nightfall's Custom Content

Link to the old thread for work in progress pictures of the objects which are shown above:
Nightfall's Stuff TTF

First update time :D

Correction, first two updates! Although you've probably already heard of the first:

The Swarm

swarmpic.jpg

Yes it's here! I know Fredward already announced The Swarm earlier this week but this wouldn't be much of a complete collection topic if I didn't include everything I've worked on.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKAZDv2R-N4[/youtube]

Download (MediaFire)

Download (CS Depot link)

But now onto the real news. Although I didn't announce it before there's a little project I've been working on:

Nightfall's Narrowboat

Turas01.jpg

Turas03.jpg

There are still a few issues, mainly due to its length. But I feel it is at the stage where it looks good enough to show. But it's not perfect so please comment if you can think of any improvements.

Plus it shows that I am still working on a certain park ;)

Very nice tim!

Loving the narrowboat! I can't wait to add it to my parks! I have a few ideas...

A light on the front tip of the boat would be good, will give it a nice effect. It dosent need to be re-colourable, just white would do!

Seccondly, would it be possible to have another version with a canopy/roof? That would be really cool, as I'm not sure I'd fancy getting soaked if its raining!

And some questions,

Does the vent on the top have a steam particle effect? Also I'm guessing the signage on the back is a billboard & can be changed right?

Looking good so far! Swarm looks good too, exactly the same as the real thing!

:)

Blizzard said:
A light on the front tip of the boat would be good, will give it a nice effect. It doesn’t need to be re-colourable, just white would do!

I did consider a light on the front; I'll add it next time.

Blizzard said:
Secondly, would it be possible to have another version with a canopy/roof? That would be really cool, as I'm not sure I'd fancy getting soaked if it’s raining!

That's a very good idea. I have two options for the canopy; a half canopy like you see on most miniature railways or a full canopy which completely covers the boat (more common on Narrowboats). I might try them both.

Blizzard said:
Does the vent on the top have a steam particle effect? Also I'm guessing the signage on the back is a billboard & can be changed right?

No and no. it would be good if I could do both but the steam particles I've tried and failed to get working in the past and you can't have billboards on CTRs, it just glitches when the ride moves. I am thinking of changing the sign and back cabin though as I think it looks too plain at the moment.

That's fantastic - I'm certainly going to have to build an extensive river section in SC now (and a Portal ride) whenever I get back to it! Are the bences sittable (as in, is it a CTR?)? And is that March Gardens?!

Rupert said:
Are the bences sittable (as in, is it a CTR?)?

They are and it is, and thanks to StationJimJr it is now working as he found a fix for one of the rides issues. More pictures will be uploaded when I get the time.

Rupert said:
And is that March Gardens?!

Sadly not, it's a slightly more subtle reference to Fissure Lark. You'll probably work out the exact meaning if you re-read the last proper update on TTF, but for most people I was just referring to the fact I will eventual restart the topic here (Something I already told you but not discussed with anyone else).

Brain Dump:

Now a few of you might have noticed I've been inactive since TS's birth. There have been no parks (new or old) and I've only shown off one new concept. Unfortunately this is how things are going to be for a while until I've successfully made the transition from Uni to working life. But I have had a few ideas floating around and wanted to see what you lot think.

The first idea is what I called the Advanced Rapids:

We all know that the Rapids in RCT3 has issues. The original in-game one is very limited. The Soaked Rapids is good but not very flexible. Then you have the Custom Track Rapids such as the one demonstrated by Rupert. But even that has limits.

So I took that ride and put it on the Europa Park Add-On Track ;)
(specifically the modified track I used for The Ultimate)

AdvancedRapids01.jpg

The idea was that this would have two advantages:
+ Proper rotating stations
+ Track with a slight banking to make the boats lean like a real boat would

The result actually ran very well and using a banked turn made quite a pleasing element reminisce of the plug-hole on River Quest.

AdvancedRapids02.jpg

An example with water at the bottom:

AdvancedRapids03.jpg

Obviously there are two problems:
- There's lots of visible track
- The track is so flexible I have no idea how to match the water height.

Plus the boats have dropped in height so that they either float above or sink into the water (see below) so some new trains are needed or new dynamic water custom scenery:

AdvancedRapids04.jpg

But it gave me an idea for a sort of Hybrid Roller Coaster / Rapids Ride. The idea is basically what you would get if you combined a Rapids with a Spinning Coaster (just like a supersized Spinball). Put it another way a Rapids Water Coaster.
It wouldn't leave the tracks, because I’ve tried that in RCT before and it causes rides to teleport :p So there’s no need for a rubber ring. Instead I could give it a design a bit like a Shuriken that would (in reality if not in the game) cause it to spin quite rapidly in the water. I thought this was a really nifty idea as it's something different.

Anyway just wanted to know what you thought of putting the rapids on EP Track or the follow up idea?

Oooooh, nice idea! I've always wanted to build better rapids. I thought that the best it would be able to get was the set Rupert introduced us to. My best attempts created this, which, while I'm quite proud of it, does have its issues as you say. Namely, the fact that the drops are all so sudden that there's no natural decent for them. It'd work fine for traveling rapids or something like River Quest, but not for a lot of realistic ones.

Here's an idea (I have no idea how feasible it is) could one be made like you've demonstrated above, but combine sloping sections from the EP Express? Those gradual drops would work perfectly for giving a natural, landscaped rapids ride, and also give the ride a bit of speed around the course.

If that could be combined with a set of scenery just like Invisible Rapids uses, but with a gentle angle and more pieces it could be onto a winner...

Thanks Ian. I remember your rapids; it's one of the better ones I've seen. And I agree we really could do with a more naturally flowing rapids. It's a shame really because the in-game one flows very well, it's just very bulky and hard to do anything with. I've got my fingers crossed that the guys behind the EP pack will come up with a CT specifically for the Rapids when they are building the one for their recreation. That would solve a lot of the problems that it currently has.

I'll have to look at the slopes on the EP Express, I didn't actually realise it had them. But the track I'm currently using does have a 1 height slop over 3 squares which works quite well. The trouble is getting the water to match this height. Someone with a good ability for making animated textures could probable manage it but I’ve never worked it out.

Hi I've been having some problems with the swarm ctr i deleted the normal nightflight an re-installed the nightflight and the swarm with it but now there are two icons in game and when you click it says somthing about an uresolved track section :(

Joseph said:
Hi I've been having some problems with the swarm ctr i deleted the normal nightflight an re-installed the nightflight and the swarm with it but now there are two icons in game and when you click it says somthing about an uresolved track section :(
Hi Joseph

All I can really suggest is doing the steps again to make sure it has been done properly. Start off by heading over to your equivalent of:

C:\Program Files\Atari\RollerCoaster Tycoon® 3\Cars\TrackedRideCars
C:\Program Files\Atari\RollerCoaster Tycoon® 3\tracks\TrackedRides

but also check:

C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Atari\RollerCoaster Tycoon® 3\Cars\TrackedRideCars
C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Atari\RollerCoaster Tycoon® 3\tracks\TrackedRides

and check all Nightflight or Swarm files have been removed from there. If not they should just override anyway but it could be you have them in multiple folders. Then follow the readme again. Sometimes these things do just happen, I know I've put a file in what looked like the right place before and it's turned out to be wrong.

If it happens again try writing down the exact error message as that might help.

Dont worry Tim i've installed it correctly but there was two avatars for the ctr one gives you an message the other loads the Ctr perfectly fine but i dont know why there are two avatars , it doesent matter though i've fixed it and its a great ctr to use. :)

I'm back again! Had a few technical problems with the Narrowboat but after some fiddling it seems to be sorted now, mostly. Just wanted some feedback before release as I've changed the design a bit:

Turas04.jpg

And the same picture with a different colour scheme:

Turas05.jpg

The same picture again but this time with all 3 colours set differently:

Turas06.jpg

Bonus points for spotting where these pictures were taken ;)

I’m also working on two canopy versions that were suggested but I wanted to get the basic design done first.

Currently it's on the EP Invisible tracks (RR's one which I used for the Driving School refused to work) but I'm also thinking of releasing it on the boat transport track as well (the one where you just build the stations and let the boat find its own way). Again any thoughts on this would be great.

Very good work. The only slight improvement would be to have a driver on the boat, is this possible? :)

But I think that a canopy version would be good to.

Looks sweet so far. The only thing I'd suggest would be to add a peep location standing up at the back of the boat by the rudder. Maybe the same position as for the standup coaster? I'm not sure if it it would work, but it would be quite cool to look like someone was actually steering it.

March Gardens? Fairly sure it's not fissure. :-\

Edit; what Ryan said about a driver.

That was the original plan. The rudder at the back is at the right height for a peep to stand there but as far as I'm aware you can only have 1 seating position per cart. Per train it's certainly possible to have more than 1 but I've never seen it done per cart.

There is actually an in-game captain you can add to the boat but I believe he can only be sitting down and again I've never seen anyone work out how :-\

Rupert said:
March Gardens? Fairly sure it's not fissure. :-\

Correct, a very early version of March Gardens.

Keep up the good work. If you ever can could you try Atlantis from Legoland for RCT3?

SamJ said:
Keep up the good work. If you ever can could you try Atlantis from Legoland for RCT3?

Thanks Sam. Unfortunately I've discussed Atlantis previously and as much as I would like to do it I still don't know how.

To summarise what I said before water in RCT is a solid unchangeable object. If a boat goes into the water the water is going through the boat, not around it. The Narrowboat is an excellent example of this. If I was to lower the boat any further into the water it would look like the seating area had flooded.
The trouble with Atlantis is that it is designed to be half in and half out of the water. So if I submerge it half way into the water you’ll see the water inside the boat, completely spoiling the illusion that you’re in a Submarine (plus drowning the guests at the same time) :-\

There is an exception which is those underwater paths that somehow cut into the water. But I have no idea how they do it and even if I did the importer probably hasn't be designed to create rides like that.

Edit:
I have news on the Narrowboat. There is a way to get one peep to drive the vehicle. But I have to use V0.95 of the importer to do it and it's an absolute nightmare!
- First it told me my poly count was too high even though it scales down to only 347 polys at a distance.
- Then it told me my textures were too large (512 for two objects because they look terribly pixelated at 256)
- Now it's telling me I have too many alpha textures and they are to big... I don't have any.

I'm thinking it's just better to stick with the old creator :(
You have to wonder why they bothered making a new creator if they don't want anyone to make anything with it.

Well you asked so I gave it a try. I have now added a driver at the back of the boat. But there is a problem:

TurasError.jpg

yeah... quite a big problem.

Basically I've had to remove the 3 things that I mentioned above. The Models lost a load of detail to bring the poly count right down and I had to remove the textures because on top of everything else I was apparently using too many!

All of these issues are only there because V0.95 of the CTR Creator doesn’t want you creating models with high detail settings. Note the words doesn't want not can't make it as it very easily could. While I can sympathise with the opinion that all models should run on any machine without issue the system they’ve put in place to deal with it is way too harsh and really it should be up to the creator to deem if there model is up to scratch or not.

I’ll have a word with someone over at SGW but if they can’t do anything I’ll have to go back to the old version. Sorry about that folks.